Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586827 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2012, 08:21:11 AM »
I really wanna play Alice: Madness Returns. I never get around to actually buying it though :(

Right now I'm playing the iPhone port of Shining Force. I finished this game back in the days of the Genesis and I still remember almost every battle (I'm at chapter 5 right now).

I also remember having a lot of problems with some of the battles, such as the one with the Laser Eye canon, and the Marionette boss in the circus tent battle. But now I'm breezing through everything! Back in 1993 this was my very first SRPG so maybe I'm just more skilled at the genre now.

The only thing you ever have to think about is the balance act of keeping the main character out of harms way at all times, while still level him up. Things also gets a little tougher when you promote your characters. I promoted them all as soon as they hit level 10, which I now understand is a bad idea (you're supposed to wait til level 20 to get better and easier level ups later on in the game. Never knew thus back in the day.)

Anyway, this is still a very good game. The item managment is super clunky, worse than I remember it, and the game is very linear and story-driven with no random battles at all (makes leveling a bit cumbersome cause you have to exit battles before you kill the last enemy, and then start over.). But I love it still. I hope the sequel makes it someday. It's arguably a much better game and one of my favourite RPGs of all time.
I've been thinking I might pick that one up. I've been more curious about sega-specific RPGs since beating Phantasy Star, which was refreshingly different from what you saw on Nintendo systems* around the same time. And it very possibly is the most "advanced" game on an 8bit console I've ever played.
The only sort-of Sega RPG I've got with me right now though is Landstalker, which seems more like isometric Zelda than a true RPG. It was I think supposed to be a spinoff of the Shining series until the producers had a falling out with Sega and changed some of the names/details. Kinda bugs me that I can't access the censored scene (comic bathtub exchange between the hero and villain) on my American copy.

*You can't beat golden age Square and Enix, so you might as well try to do something unique.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:24:55 AM by Ratty »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2012, 11:03:17 AM »
I've been thinking I might pick that one up. I've been more curious about sega-specific RPGs since beating Phantasy Star, which was refreshingly different from what you saw on Nintendo systems* around the same time. And it very possibly is the most "advanced" game on an 8bit console I've ever played.
The only sort-of Sega RPG I've got with me right now though is Landstalker, which seems more like isometric Zelda than a true RPG. It was I think supposed to be a spinoff of the Shining series until the producers had a falling out with Sega and changed some of the names/details. Kinda bugs me that I can't access the censored scene (comic bathtub exchange between the hero and villain) on my American copy.

*You can't beat golden age Square and Enix, so you might as well try to do something unique.

Well, I love Landstalker (even though it's very frustrating at points) and Shining Force was also made by Climax Entertainment so I wouldn't be suprised if Landstalker was once a Shining spin-off. The music is very similar in both games, and the soundeffects are the same, even down to the familiar noises when people are talking.

Phantasy Star are some of my favourite oldschool RPGs ever (play Phantasy Star 4 and you'll recognize my avatar and signature). Phantasy Star 2 is hard as fuck, and Phantasy Star 3 is an aquired taste to put it mildly. Phantasy Star 4 is arguably one of the best (if not THE best) RPG ever made by Sega, rivalled only by.. dunno... Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles and Shining Force II, IMO. The only thing that could potentially hold PS4 back is the fact that the game is surprisingly short. But still, fantastic game!

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »
Pokemon SoulSilver.

Excellent remake. IMO, SoulSilver and HeartGold are the two best games in the series at the moment. There's just so much to do! Having Pokemon follow you around was something they should have kept in the Black and White Pokemon games. It really makes you even more attached to your Pokemon.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2012, 12:45:55 PM »

*You can't beat golden age Square and Enix.

Dragon Warrior tell me right now who can hate the overture theme?

One of the best themes ever not only in gaming but in general puts a tear to my eye everytime  :'(

Dragon Quest I - Overture March (Symphonic Version)

I have beaten the first one a couple of times already on the GBC Version the second is really hard wow, but not the nes need to grind a bit before doing something as crazy as going into dracolords castle.
Not to mention I have 4 remake for the ds and sentinels of the starry sky really good game have to get back to it.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2012, 12:13:45 PM »
I've been getting into Skyrim quite a bit recently. I bought the PC version and have downloaded many mods for it. It's amusing to be running around with the Sword of Omens from Thundercats while the Death Star from Return of the Jedi rises high in the evening sky. Talk about a nerd-fest, huh?  8)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2012, 11:00:33 PM »
Monster Hunter... Lots of Monster Hunter...

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »
Done with every released console Assassin's Creed game. Now I need Altair's Chronicles, Bloodlines, and Discovery... On top of that Assassin's Creed III and Liberation.

In the meantime, I'm addicted to Eternal Sonata.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2012, 12:20:56 AM »
Done with every released console Assassin's Creed game. Now I need Altair's Chronicles, Bloodlines, and Discovery... On top of that Assassin's Creed III and Liberation.

In the meantime, I'm addicted to Eternal Sonata.

Eternal Sonata. Hmm very very nice choice I have not seen much since I do not want to spoil it for my self, but that game has color if I have ever seen one how a game should be right  ;)

In the meantime I've backed off of vesperia for a brief moment to play some dragon warrior I&II on my recently bought game boy color ahh the memories too bad it was not the turquoise game boy  :'(
(click to show/hide)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2012, 01:45:04 AM »
Eternal Sonata. Hmm very very nice choice I have not seen much since I do not want to spoil it for my self, but that game has color if I have ever seen one how a game should be right  ;)

The game is great. I'm actually blown away by how good it is so far.

Not to mention the story and voice acting are both really good. Patrick Seitz's role in this is probably one of his best.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2012, 03:00:17 AM »
You might enjoy this video, the guy does a nice job of putting into words some of the reasons why Doom is still so good after all these years.

That was pretty cool. I kind of feel dumb for not previously picking up on some of the things he touched on, though.

Just finished Vanquish...I think this one's going in the sell pile for me. It had its moments I guess, but it wasn't as fun as it looked. The overheating mechanic made the game a little more limited than I had hoped. Also went through Raam's Shadow with my girlfriend...not bad. The parts that had you play as Locust troops was kind of pointless, but it was still fun DLC overall.

I'm really wanting to get into Dark Souls, since Demon's Souls is my favorite PS3 game to date (and possibly my favorite of this gen, period), but I know it'll suck up so much of my time that I'm still hesitant. It's sitting on the shelf. Mocking me.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:04:02 AM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »
The game is great. I'm actually blown away by how good it is so far.

Not to mention the story and voice acting are both really good. Patrick Seitz's role in this is probably one of his best.

After vesperia and final fantasy 13 I want to get either eternal sonata or star ocean, but then there is the last story. Dang it RPGs kill me that's why I can never finish them, but not with vesperia I plan on beating that no exceptions... no exceptions at all...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2012, 11:49:42 PM »
After vesperia and final fantasy 13 I want to get either eternal sonata or star ocean, but then there is the last story. Dang it RPGs kill me that's why I can never finish them, but not with vesperia I plan on beating that no exceptions... no exceptions at all...

I'm not gonna bother continuing Eternal Sonata. Reason being is I have the Xbox 360 version, but the PS3 version has a BUNCH of new features, including story and characters. So I'm gonna wait til I pick up that one...

And you have Vesperia... I've been wanting that one forever...

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2012, 07:20:42 AM »
So I'm 1/3 of the way through Torvus in MP2. Still dreading having to find those 12 artifacts or whatever later on. Whoever decided to to not give players ANY clues as to their whereabouts is a bastard. Let's see if I can get through it this time.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
I don't envy you, trudging through the Torvus Bog (though hearing Red Soil Swampy Area's arrangement probably helps a lot).
I'm playing Pokemon Platinum in order to get the last little critters I'm missing.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Sul_Yong

• Hunter in Training
  • Go ahead and laugh, this world's terrible enough.
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »
Finally got my hands on Circle of the Moon, so I'm playing that... also been playing some UMvC3 and about to pick up KoF XIII again... Right now I'm looking for a very fun challenge...

Tags: