Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586871 times)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #690 on: September 12, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
Speaking of fighting games, Capcom Vs SNK 2. I have had that game nearly 2 damned years, but the thing never worked properly and would freeze after the first round, and trying to access the options menu would also freeze the game (it worked fine in PCSX2, so I investigated on a second PS2). Well I quickly put the CD cover back on to my other PS2, got the game to load, but the music still had issues (apparently the music tracks are fucked). Reset and before the music could get trashed, I went into the options menu, disabled it, saved to memory card, then started playing. Got all the way to Shin Akuma and gave up out of frustration of his cheapness. I then booted the game back into my modded PS2 with the memory card, and since I had the music disabled and saved that way, this PS2 now runs it very well as well.

All in all the games fine without the music, so long as it's playable finally after that length of time of frustration.

Edit: as for the Darkstalkers OVA, I'll have to find and check it out, I won't touch the US cartoon with a 20 foot pole (moreso than the average 10 foot pole).

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #691 on: September 12, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »
Speaking of fighting games, Capcom Vs SNK 2. I have had that game nearly 2 damned years, but the thing never worked properly and would freeze after the first round, and trying to access the options menu would also freeze the game (it worked fine in PCSX2, so I investigated on a second PS2). Well I quickly put the CD cover back on to my other PS2, got the game to load, but the music still had issues (apparently the music tracks are fucked). Reset and before the music could get trashed, I went into the options menu, disabled it, saved to memory card, then started playing. Got all the way to Shin Akuma and gave up out of frustration of his cheapness. I then booted the game back into my modded PS2 with the memory card, and since I had the music disabled and saved that way, this PS2 now runs it very well as well.

All in all the games fine without the music, so long as it's playable finally after that length of time of frustration.

So why you dont make a backup copy to play in your modded PS2? At least it should stop doing that if you burn it 4x.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #692 on: September 12, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »
So why you dont make a backup copy to play in your modded PS2? At least it should stop doing that if you burn it 4x.

I can live without the music, it's being able to play that's important (that and I have no DVD's here, or experience burning them). The disc runs surprisingly fine in emulation with this disc (not an issue with music at all, surprisingly), but I noticed there's a small crack right at the center of the ring. I believe this is the culprit for my troubles. But for now, I am pleased I can just play it without any more issues once the music was disabled on a console.

My Saturn also has been finicky with Street Fighter Alpha 2 as well, again emulation runs the disc flawlessly for some reason. Again the console won't play the music, but the game doesn't stutter/freeze. I do have the PS2 Anthology for this which has no issues as I bought it near new, but sometimes these ports have extra modes not found in the original arcade games/Anthology.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:40:28 PM by Bloodreign »

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #693 on: September 12, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
+1
Today I had my lady over, and we broke out Goof Troop on the SNES.

I've loved that game since I was a little kid, though it's at its best with multiplayer. I used to play it all the time with my brother, and since my girlfriend is also a gamer we instantly made a great team easily rivaling the team of me and my brother. There's just something special about being in a relationship with someone who not only will play multiplayer games with you, but is skilled enough at them that we play on the same general level.  :)

We played for about three hours, and made it to the final boss, before getting our game over. SO CLOSE!
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #694 on: September 12, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »
No, it's retail. It would be too big to download otherwise.
I'll see if I can get it in my country. I was planning on playing those games after I loved Skyrim, so what better way to do it than with a collection set of original games?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #695 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:42 PM »
I can live without the music, it's being able to play that's important (that and I have no DVD's here, or experience burning them). The disc runs surprisingly fine in emulation with this disc (not an issue with music at all, surprisingly), but I noticed there's a small crack right at the center of the ring. I believe this is the culprit for my troubles. But for now, I am pleased I can just play it without any more issues once the music was disabled on a console.

My Saturn also has been finicky with Street Fighter Alpha 2 as well, again emulation runs the disc flawlessly for some reason. Again the console won't play the music, but the game doesn't stutter/freeze. I do have the PS2 Anthology for this which has no issues as I bought it near new, but sometimes these ports have extra modes not found in the original arcade games/Anthology.

No wonder that a emulator run it flawlessly, since any PC DVD-player reads at higher speeds than consoles, if its a ISO then its even easier since it will be in your HDD and will be even more easier to read. I've already seen in a friend house, his PC being able to read a broken CD (a part of it was split), first I was like "OMG you have broken this CD that they borrowed you" and after I was "How its possible?" lol
 After I discovered that when they borrowed them it, it was already broken like this.

What Im trying to say is that PCs are less sensible to scratches or dust when reading discs. When a game is scratched the first thing that fails is the music, since its constantly reading it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:56:53 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #696 on: September 12, 2013, 10:06:07 PM »
Emulators are the future of last gen games, I love having all my old games and play them all almost instantaneously whenever I want

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
    • Awards
« Reply #697 on: September 12, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »
No HDD = no go period. I'm running a fliptop modded PS2 with Swap Magic for my imports (like a couple fighting games I have, KoF 98 Ultimate Dream Match and KoF Neowave, Haunted Castle, and my 4 volumes of Taito Memories). I've heard the music from CvS2, and honestly I didn't like the songs at all. I can always get it on PSN should I have an urge to hear the music again.  ;)

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #698 on: September 13, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »
I've been (in vain) trying to get to some of the endings in Haruhi Suzumiya for the PS3.
Does that game ever end? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it's been like 10 hours, and since I don't understand most of the text, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
But the same scenes keep repeating over and over, no matter what I do.

Maybe Shiroi or someone invested in that kind of games can help me...
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #699 on: September 13, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »
I've been (in vain) trying to get to some of the endings in Haruhi Suzumiya for the PS3.
Does that game ever end? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it's been like 10 hours, and since I don't understand most of the text, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
But the same scenes keep repeating over and over, no matter what I do.

Maybe Shiroi or someone invested in that kind of games can help me...

GameFAQs, since you cant understand it, you can try to find a guide there to play it almost properly.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #700 on: September 16, 2013, 06:27:32 AM »
FF: All the bravest.
If it wasnt for free i wouldnt download this. Great for training how fast you can tap your finger on the touch screen.  :P

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #701 on: September 16, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »
+1
Valdis Story: Abyssal City! Rare example of completely perfect Metroidvania game with RPG elements. Just don't know what else to say about it. :) The game's epic:
Valdis Story: Abyssal City Gameplay Trailer

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #702 on: September 17, 2013, 01:29:30 AM »
That looks really cool, Pyramid!

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #703 on: September 17, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
Valdis Story: Abyssal City! Rare example of completely perfect Metroidvania game with RPG elements. Just don't know what else to say about it. :) The game's epic:
Great!
I didn't know about this game. It usually irritates me when people uses the term MetroidVania for a game that has nothing to do with CV (like IGN with Guacamelee), but in this case I can see where it's coming from.
Thanks for sharing it! I'm downloading it for the weekend!  :)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #704 on: September 17, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, and it's scaring the shit out of me. As per the game's instructions, I've been playing it at night by myself, with headphones and with all the lights turned off. I've been at the same place for the past few days and every time I move forward something does this ungodly pig scream and charges at me from the shadows, I can't see it properly because my lantern flickers on and off and the more it flickers the closer it comes until oh god oh god oh god oh-
*dies*

But yeah, it's a really intense and straight-up frightening game. It's a much different horror than Amensia: The Dark Descent. That one focused more on the feeling of constantly being stalked by things and desperately managing meager, rapidly-dwindling resources. A Machine For Pigs is far more atmospheric (which is saying something since its predecessor was pretty damn atmospheric already) and there's a greater emphasis on character development. The story is very engaging too.

I've also been playing Outlast, from the guys who did the original Splinter Cell games. It's just as frightening. You're trapped in a mental asylum (truly breaking new ground in the horror genre i know) but it's just so damn creepy. When you have two stark naked blood-soaked beefcakes leering at you from the other side of a gate calmly telling you how they're going to kill you and which of your internal organs they're going to eat first you know you're fucked.

Tags:

anything