Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586600 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #705 on: September 17, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
Finished Rayman Origins just in time to pick up the sequel with my Wii U this Thursday. Gotta finish some other games to likewise make way for sequels coming soon: DKC Returns 3D and Super Mario 3D Land (on the extra stages).
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #706 on: September 17, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
Was SM3DLand good? I mean, good for a Mario game. Almost all of them are good, but some excel in every aspect like Galaxy and some are just decent, like NSMB DS. Most of them are very good, though.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #707 on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »
+1
Well, I'm not sure what to tell ya, since I thought the original NSMB was amazing and easily the best of the series, and one of the finer Mario games.

I'd compare 3D Land to the first Galaxy, personally. It plays kind of like a cross between that (sans anti-gravity stuff) and a traditional 2D Mario game...only in 3D. (Or would that be 3D3D?) I enjoy it loads and it's a lot more fun to play than it looks.

Hoping 3D World doesn't go the way of the console NSMB games, which lack what makes the handheld ones so special. (Judging by the Wii one; I've yet to play the Wii U game, just assuming it's more of the same: less focus on single player greatness, more focus on chaotic multiplayer.)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #708 on: September 17, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
Thanks for the answer!  :)
My problems with the original NSMB are just a few. I don't consider it a bad game, or mediocre. It's good. It's just I expected more from Mario. It was very short and easy (I completed it in a single playthrough, I put the game, I played some hours, and it was gone). And I found the music lacking what I like to have in a Mario game in musical terms.
But it's not Sonic Colours, don't get me wrong (I know, now someone will say they liked Sonic Colours...).

If there are some elements of Galaxy in 3DLand I will enjoy that, for sure. I liked everything in Galaxy, with the only exception of some random mini games that I found out of place.
I liked Galaxy 2 better, though.

If the new game for WiiU focus on multiplayer chaotic kind of gameplay, I will surely be bored, since I like to play alone anyway, and I don't enjoy chaotic multiplayer.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #709 on: September 18, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
Thanks for the answer!  :)
My problems with the original NSMB are just a few. I don't consider it a bad game, or mediocre. It's good. It's just I expected more from Mario. It was very short and easy (I completed it in a single playthrough, I put the game, I played some hours, and it was gone). And I found the music lacking what I like to have in a Mario game in musical terms.
But it's not Sonic Colours, don't get me wrong (I know, now someone will say they liked Sonic Colours...).

If there are some elements of Galaxy in 3DLand I will enjoy that, for sure. I liked everything in Galaxy, with the only exception of some random mini games that I found out of place.
I liked Galaxy 2 better, though.

If the new game for WiiU focus on multiplayer chaotic kind of gameplay, I will surely be bored, since I like to play alone anyway, and I don't enjoy chaotic multiplayer.

I've found NSMB Wii to be easy, since I acquired 99 lives without even trying and finished this game without seeing that "newbie block". I've needed to die on purpose some times to see how it worked.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #710 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
+2
Ok, Super Mario 3D Land is a GREAT game.

It's better than any of the "New Super Mario Bros" DS/3DS games out right now in terms of stage layouts, replay value, and just overall content.
THERE IS SO MUCH CONTENT!

Please do yourself a favor and get this game.
If you have a choice between New Super Mario Bros. 2 and this, GET THIS.  IT IS BETTER! I AM ALL-CAPSING HERE FOR A REASON!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #711 on: September 18, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
Nintendo uses Super Mario 3D Land on Jorge.

Its super effective.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #712 on: September 18, 2013, 01:36:36 PM »
Just need two more Retro Armor and I'll have 9 of every item Jonathan, Julius, Richter and Simon can equip in Harmony of Despair...

...Kill me.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #713 on: September 18, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs, and it's scaring the shit out of me. As per the game's instructions, I've been playing it at night by myself, with headphones and with all the lights turned off. I've been at the same place for the past few days and every time I move forward something does this ungodly pig scream and charges at me from the shadows, I can't see it properly because my lantern flickers on and off and the more it flickers the closer it comes until oh god oh god oh god oh-
*dies*

But yeah, it's a really intense and straight-up frightening game. It's a much different horror than Amensia: The Dark Descent. That one focused more on the feeling of constantly being stalked by things and desperately managing meager, rapidly-dwindling resources. A Machine For Pigs is far more atmospheric (which is saying something since its predecessor was pretty damn atmospheric already) and there's a greater emphasis on character development. The story is very engaging too.

I've also been playing Outlast, from the guys who did the original Splinter Cell games. It's just as frightening. You're trapped in a mental asylum (truly breaking new ground in the horror genre i know) but it's just so damn creepy. When you have two stark naked blood-soaked beefcakes leering at you from the other side of a gate calmly telling you how they're going to kill you and which of your internal organs they're going to eat first you know you're fucked.

Excited to play both of these. I still need to finish the first Amnesia though. Got to say, I'm pretty hyped that this Clock Tower type of horror is making a comeback.

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #714 on: September 18, 2013, 05:12:51 PM »
I'm starting on Corpse Party: Rebuilt when I'm not writing papers for my current class.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #715 on: September 19, 2013, 07:30:40 AM »
Ok, Super Mario 3D Land is a GREAT game.

It's better than any of the "New Super Mario Bros" DS/3DS games out right now in terms of stage layouts, replay value, and just overall content.
THERE IS SO MUCH CONTENT!

Please do yourself a favor and get this game.
If you have a choice between New Super Mario Bros. 2 and this, GET THIS.  IT IS BETTER! I AM ALL-CAPSING HERE FOR A REASON!
I will  :)
I like to play every Mario game, because even when they are just OK, they are fun. And most of them are GREAT!

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #716 on: September 19, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »
Started playing the old cRPG "Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession" to get into the Halloween mood. Love the music and character portraits. So far a very charming game, though I'm convinced it'd be impossible without taking the option to pump your stats up to the maximum allowed level at the start of the game (rather than rolling for stats) even then it's difficult.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #717 on: September 20, 2013, 05:35:42 AM »
looks like thats the old eye of the beholder engine. The followups to the classic goldbox dnd games. I _love_ some of the goldbox games specifically those set in the forgotten realms. I saw you talkin about this and thought Id somehow missed a goldbox ravenloft all these years! I still didnt know (or didnt remember) the EoTB based one tho!! Ill have to look it up

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #718 on: September 20, 2013, 06:27:01 AM »
looks like thats the old eye of the beholder engine. The followups to the classic goldbox dnd games. I _love_ some of the goldbox games specifically those set in the forgotten realms. I saw you talkin about this and thought Id somehow missed a goldbox ravenloft all these years! I still didnt know (or didnt remember) the EoTB based one tho!! Ill have to look it up

I think the game's a little bit more sophisticated than the original Eye of the Beholder engine-wise though I've not played any of the Beholder games. Since free movement is the default, though old style block-by-block movement is still an option. There were two Ravenloft games released in the series, Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet, the latter of which had the option of importing saved characters. The other game I know of that definitely used the same engine was Menzoberranzan, though that's obviously Forgotten Realms rather than Ravenloft. Be sure to get the CD-Rom version of the games because they include voiced dialog and cutscenes.
Let's Play - Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession - Part 2 Here's an example of some gameplay from Strahd's Possession. Stone Prophet is similar but with an Egyptian-styled setting.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:28:32 AM by Ratty »

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #719 on: September 20, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »
I really wish GOG.com would release the SSI D&D games. I mean I have the Forgotten Realms collection Interplay put out after they acquired the license in the 90's but...I'm too lazy to boot up DOSbox myself.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Tags: