Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 587325 times)

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #720 on: September 20, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
Just finished Prototype. Should I move onto 2?

Ok, Super Mario 3D Land is a GREAT game.

It's better than any of the "New Super Mario Bros" DS/3DS games out right now in terms of stage layouts, replay value, and just overall content.
THERE IS SO MUCH CONTENT!

Please do yourself a favor and get this game.
If you have a choice between New Super Mario Bros. 2 and this, GET THIS.  IT IS BETTER! I AM ALL-CAPSING HERE FOR A REASON!

I wish I'd read this before getting NSMB2.  :( I mean, I enjoyed it but if someone says 3D Land's even better, that's pretty headturning.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #721 on: October 06, 2013, 07:01:58 AM »
Played "Brave Fencer Musashi" again these last days, this game aged really well since this is the first time in like 10 years that I play it I think and it still very fun. For some reason I found it to be much more easy, I dont know if its because its easier on a keyboard :-\

Some parts were a little challenging, but almost 80% of the game have been easy, also since now I can read english, it was very cool to know what is going on in the game, I've even talked with all villagers between tasks to see their reactions that changes constantly :)

Now I plan to replay some old games from my childhood, almost all are underrated, like "Tomba!", "Ape Escape" and "Alundra".

Random info: Someone knew that Tomba! creator is the same guy that created Ghosts n' Goblins and worked in Mega Man too?

Here is his company hopping history:
1982 - Joins Konami
1983 - Leaves Konami, joins Capcom
1996 - Quits Capcom, establishes Whoopee Camp
1998 - Establishes Deep Space
2005 - Returns to Capcom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokuro_Fujiwara

He is Tokuro Fujiwara, creator of the recent "Madworld", its really crazy to see that almost all of their works are games that I really like, to say the truth its has been one of these "mindfucks" moments, I was so shocked that I felt the urge to share this info!
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #722 on: October 07, 2013, 02:08:35 PM »
Finished Simon the Sorcerer for MS DOS (1993).
Fantastic game, and aged very well. The pixelated graphics look really good for a 2D point-and-click adventure game, the animation is solid and beautiful, the music is nice and the voice acting, well, it's top of the scale. I haven't played many adventure games with voice acting and pulling it off is not easy. And best of all, the game is funny. Making a funny game is a difficult task, and that game succeeded. Some parts of the dialog are ingeniously written.

For instance, my favorite part is one where you encounter a strange creature fishing, and he tells you "I'm looking for my precious", to what Simon responds with "Isn't that an infringement of copyright?"  ;D

My only complaint is that some of the in-game riddles are quite darn difficult to figure out. The game is based around an open-world where you need to find certain items to solve various problem, and sometimes the ways to solve the problem seem quite random. Other than that, it's perfect. 
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #723 on: October 07, 2013, 02:25:50 PM »
Finished Simon the Sorcerer for MS DOS (1993).
Fantastic game, and aged very well. The pixelated graphics look really good for a 2D point-and-click adventure game, the animation is solid and beautiful, the music is nice and the voice acting, well, it's top of the scale. I haven't played many adventure games with voice acting and pulling it off is not easy. And best of all, the game is funny. Making a funny game is a difficult task, and that game succeeded. Some parts of the dialog are ingeniously written.

For instance, my favorite part is one where you encounter a strange creature fishing, and he tells you "I'm looking for my precious", to what Simon responds with "Isn't that an infringement of copyright?"  ;D

My only complaint is that some of the in-game riddles are quite darn difficult to figure out. The game is based around an open-world where you need to find certain items to solve various problem, and sometimes the ways to solve the problem seem quite random. Other than that, it's perfect.

Ahh yes, "adventure game logic". I enjoy the occasional point'n click but I usually use a walkthrough for this reason. I think comedy review/editoral site Old Man Murray, which Gabe Newell described as having been "The Velvet Underground of post-print journalism.", said it best. http://web.archive.org/web/20130810090622/http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:37:47 PM by Ratty »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #724 on: October 08, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
Fire Emblem: Gaiden

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #725 on: October 08, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »
+1
Fire Emblem: Gaiden

you're not the only one  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #726 on: October 28, 2013, 02:23:20 AM »
Been on a Splatterhouse binge ever since getting all achievements on the new game. Played the Famicom game, then went through the first two games. Now I'm playing the third...definitely my least favorite. The way it plays reminds me of the last level of Renegade, come to think of it.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #727 on: October 28, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »
Mirrors Edge
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #728 on: October 29, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »
Wind Waker HD.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #729 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:11 PM »
Rune Factory 4

Who will the main character marry?....I'm torn between Dylas and Leon...

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #730 on: October 31, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
Just finished the Insta-Death mode on Mega Man Unlimited. And the crazy thing is, I still have the desire to play it. I may have a problem.

Also picked up Volgarr the Viking, which is infuriating, but in a good way.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #731 on: November 02, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
After a solid month of pretty much just playing Castlevania games I decided to look in my collection for something as far from the series as possible. So I played through Tail Concerto. A little gem I'd been meaning to get to for years and had a few false starts on. It's exactly as adorable as you would imagine a game where you play an Anime dog-policeman, in a mecha, catching bomb-throwing kittens in bubbles to be.

It's fun but the difficulty spikes in some spots are crazy. Most of game is a stroll in the park but I do believe the last level contains some of the most frustrating platforming I've ever experienced in any game. Consisting mostly of leaps of faith onto moving platforms while the suddenly implemented moon physics don't do any favors for the already loose controls. Insult to injury is that it looks very easy, and the game doesn't give you any damage when you fall back to the ground in this level, just slowly and gentle drifts you down as if it's saying "There there little baby, it's ok you can try again." Also the final boss is kinda cheap but at least you get to save before him, just be sure to horde continues during the game for his second incarnation.

Debating on whether or not to play through SolatoRobo: Red the Hunter on the DS now. Not sure if that's a prequel or a "spiritual successor" to Tail Concerto or what, but it is related in some way. Though playing through the tutorial level tells me the gameplay might be a little too similar for me to enjoy right now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:48:42 PM by Ratty »

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #732 on: November 03, 2013, 04:12:38 AM »
Batman: Arkham Origins.

Still very early in the game and I'm not very impressed. Thus far, everything feels like a retread of AC.  :-\

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #733 on: November 03, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
And when that's done, I, too, will be partaking in some Batman: Arkham Origins.
And afterwards, I will indulge in some Wind Waker HD, and by then "A Link Between Worlds" will come out, and I'll be picking that up.

...and in between games, I play PokemonY. :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #734 on: November 03, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
Well, I was playing FFXIII, until I found an old CD-R of Dragon's Lair. FFXIII's on hold right now.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags:

anything