Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 119220 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »
It wasn't a problem of being realistic or gritty, really, it was that it was essentially fanservice, and thats it. "oooh look, It's like Dark Knight Returns, with Bruce coming out of retirement and staging his death!" "oooh look, it's totally knightfall with Bane breaking Batman's back and Bruce having to learn to walk again!" "Oooh look it's Talia! She was in this! WHAT A TWEEST!" It was pandering, and as a result, suffered for it. It just had shitty pacing because it tried to crap too many elements into it's story, without accommodating the run time of the movie. Joker's absence really doesn't mater too much. Bane broke Blackgate open, not Arkham.

And even in the novelization, which references Joker, they mention him as having stayed in Arkham as it's lone inmate. Which actually kind of works. I would expect Joker to do creepy weird shit like decide to live in Arkham when everyone else gets sprung, and only escape when everyone else gets put IN.

I also saw "The Others" on TV the other day. Haha, what a GREAT ending. that was truly surprising.

I would agree with you that pacing is Rising's biggest problem. It stops and starts a little too often and feels longer than it needs to. And I do blame a lot of that on Nolan's emphasizing that "this is a serious film for adults" with things like Alfred's pointless subplot. But I just didn't feel the whole fanservice thing considering how little the title character was actually in the movie as Batman. It just felt more like Nolan was clumsily trying to work in some ideas from Batman canon that he liked, it didn't work out as well as his reworking of Batman: Year One's Gordon for Batman Begins though.

On a related note Hellboy star Ron Perlmen wants to do Hellboy 3, but this probably won't happen because A.) It's unlikely a producer will want to invest in it and B.) Perlmen is 63 years old.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.406822-Ron-Perlman-Says-Hellboy-III-Must-Happen
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:44:27 PM by Ratty »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
+1
It's not  a movie but I  have been watching shin megami tensei devil survivor 2 it's kind of new and makes me want to  buy the 3ds game
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2013, 01:38:13 AM »
+1
Just finished watching Iron Man 3. In my opinion, it was so-so. I was expecting more...
the post credits scene was great. hehehe.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2013, 06:54:18 AM »
Call me old fashioned... For A Few Dollars More was on so i stayed up super late watching it. My girlfriend reminded me i had work in the morning. I didnt care it was 1:30 AM i was trying my best to recite all my favorite quotes!
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »
Watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Mindfcuk.

Nothing more to say.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2013, 07:57:37 PM »
Well it's not *technically* a movie perhaps but I did watch the hour and a half pilot for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine today, along with the second episode and I have to admit if the rest of the series is as good as this, I've been wrong. For years I loved TNG but always dismissed DS9 as a moody grimdark perversion of Gene Rodderberry's original intentions but watching it now, it's actually good. Very good. A well written character drama that's clearly free of the "everyone on the ship gets along, each episode is disconnected from the others" format which limited the original Star Trek, TAS and TNG. Clearly I just couldn't see that when I caught bits of episodes as a little kid.

If you're in the US you can watch all but like 5 episodes of the show for free here http://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-deep-space-nine/all/full/episode as well as the run of The Original Series and The Animated Series.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2013, 05:27:34 AM »
Saw the Gatsby movie. Good overall but nothing compared to the book.
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:19 AM »
ds9 is good but it really only gets REALLY good in the last season or so. I never cared much for it when it was still new but 2 of my friends in hs were fanatics. They used to joke about holdin hands and cryin together while watchin the last episode. I always liked TNG and Voyager but ds9 is good

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2013, 02:28:47 AM »
I suffered through Silent Hill: Revelation. Ugh. Christophe Gans' movie wasn't the adaptation I'd wished it have been, but despite some dumb story changes, it was fairly faithful to the games and did a good job of capturing the tone of the games.

The sequel movie, on the other hand, had a couple familiar-looking characters and settings, but nothing in common with the series. Apparently the surreal and psychological horror elements flew right past the filmmakers, because this is just dumb horror movie fodder painted to look like a chintzy video game.

I guess the best "Silent Hill" movies will forever be Blue Velvet and Jacob's Ladder.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2013, 07:26:22 AM »
OK. Jacob's Ladder, yeah. I fail to se a comparison between Silent Hill and Blue Velvet.

Saw Star Trek Into Darkness. Not bad. Interesting take on the events.
Iron-Man 3. It was ok. The treatment of the Mandarin could have been better.
"Stuff and things."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
I recently had a Scream marathon.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »
OK. Jacob's Ladder, yeah. I fail to se a comparison between Silent Hill and Blue Velvet.

Small town, wholesome by appearance, seedy underbelly full of bizarre, surrealistic happenings. The games have a lot in common with David Lynch works; the SH2 team mentioned being directly influenced by Twin Peaks.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »

You gotta love Rango. It takes a special kind of person to make a movie/novel about an acid trip in Vegas into a kiddy flick with a talking chameleon and Clint Eastwood.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:30:34 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2013, 03:37:32 AM »
I loved Rango, it's one of the best and funniest 3D animated movies I've seen.
And it includes the always nice plus of having a very good Hans Zimmer soundtrack, something usual many years ago, but rare in these recent years when Hans Zimmer's quality decayed a lot.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2013, 06:42:02 AM »
FAST AND THE FURIOUS 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE TO TYPE LIKE THIS TO EXPRESS HOW AWESOMELY RAGING THIS MOVIE IS!!!!!!!! IT WAS LIKE ZOOOOOOOOOOOM AND VROOOOOMMMM AND SO MUCH ACTION I ALMOST SHAT IN THE THEATER!!!!!!! if u think its gonna slow down during the movie IT WONT BECAUSE ITS FAST AND FURIOUS DAMMIT!!!!! ;D
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Tags: