Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: General Metroid Discussion Thread  (Read 12760 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
Lets talk about any Metroid game here. What you like about it? What you dislike? What is your favorite? etc.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »
I still love Metroid on the SNES and the Fusion one on the GBA. When I first played Fusion on a DS, I was absolutely floored by how amazing the game really looked. Looking on it through an original GBA and then that blue flip-top didn't do it justice. I only had the GC GBA attachment-thingy for about a week before it got stolen so I never even got to test it out on Fusion. But that was an amazing game and I only wish there were more Metroids made with the same care as Fusion was.

Another reason I liked Fusion was due to the SA-X. It was nice, for one of the FEW times in the series, to know just exactly what had happened to all that bad-ass gear I had earned in previous games. And the SA-X having Super Metroid Samus' gear vs just you in your lowly Metroid-hybrid suit made for some really tense moments when that little fucker would pop up out of nowhere and slowly stalk around the room, searching for you. Rarely does a Metroid make you shit your pants like that. Plus you got a really nice boss-fight vs the SA-X with all your old swag still on it, so that was an extra plus.

If I'm not mistaken, the SA-X still had the Spaser Ice beam, the Super Missile, the Screw Attack, and the power bombs?
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
+1
Quick question about the SA-X: Why is it so blasted stupid?
Metroid Fusion: SA-X is smart?
Metroid Fusion: STILL MESSING WITH SA-X
SA-X is dumb (NO CHEATCODES)
The stupid SA-X
Seriously, I think I've seen smarter MGS guards. >_>
Also, anyone got any good arrangements of Serris-X's battle theme besides the Net Mission one? That one can't be the only good one.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
Quick question about the SA-X: Why is it so blasted stupid?

Because it's basically a big-ass amoeba inhabiting the Power Suit.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
I love how that one video says the SA-X is dumb and "here is the prove!"

That is irony at its finest.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »
Metroid is one of my favorite series.  Nearly every game is great.  It took me awhile to get into Prime, but once I had the chance to play through it on my own and at my own pace, I really fell in love with it.  Obviously the first Metroid/Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Fusion are all really great games.

And then there's Other M.  What a horrible blight on the series.  I really hate that game.  The name is stupid.  The overly dramatic story is stupid.  The animation is goofy.  The combat feels too loose.  The voice acting is lame.  The concept is a needless re-treat of Fusion.  Can we forget about the rest of the series in this thread and just focus on how awful Other M is?

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
Can we forget about the rest of the series in this thread and just focus on how awful Other M is?
Or we can just forget about Other M and move on to future possibilities.
So how would games set after Fusion work? With Samus now being part-metroid in a sense and a wanted criminal to boot, how do you think the story would play out?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »
@PFG9000
If you want that, go on lol
Thats a general thread, we can focus in one thing at time or change the subject, since it still focuses about Metroid games.
Yeah, the game feels much like a 3D Fusion, but I think that the gameplay mechanics, if polished (like no recharge button and no invencible dodge), could be the most close thing like the classics, but in 3D. I liked the Prime titles, but to me it feels very different than the classic ones.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »
Loved the Metroid series. Nothing quite like it anywhere. I first started off with Metroid II back in the day. Then went to Super Metroid which was a phenomenal game and to me it's still the best in the whole series; Hands down! Then I finally tried the original Metroid. Metroid's Prime and Fusion came out at around the same time so I got to play both. Fusion I felt was a little behind Super Metroid. It was wonderful to play the squeal to the greatest SNES title of it's time and it was a long wait. But I felt it just wasn't up to par with it's predecessor. That and collecting items with your speed booster/shine spark was more forced on you then in Super. Hopefully they won't do that again. But they did with Metroid Zero Mission. Not a good idea! ZM was also interesting as it added more to the original game. I've also played Metroid's Prime 2 and 3 but I still have yet to finish 3. I never did fully play MP Hunter as the control scheme is just far too scatter. It's all over the place for me to properly get engaged in the game. IMO MP Hunter should've been on a console rather then a portable. It would make playing it much easier. About Metroid: Other M. I personally like the game. It ties the events of Super and Fusion nicely. But the real things that do irk me is that Samus was made a little bit more helpless then she should've been. In the other games there was no man around to protect the helpless woman because Samus is far from being the helpless woman. Samus is a warrior woman and they don't need a man to get in their way believing them to be helpless. It's just NOT DONE. Other things like Samus' suit not changing to look like the Varia or colored to look like the gravity suit kind bother's me. They could have had more items to collect rather then just following orders to activate them when called for. Perhaps the biggest deal was the fact that there was a lot of harping in the story. The Japanese seem to have this obsession to repeat the same things in a different context over and over again. This is not good writing skills at work, they're bad ones. If you heard a line once then leave it be. Don't drag the point on and on. Also I found Samus' narration's in some instances to be useless rather then important. A narration should be to help propel the story along and in essence that's what it did in this game, but there were also some lines that were not needed. This was something I also noticed as a problem in MGS4.
The one thing that I thought was epic was the Ridley intro scene and duel in the magma chamber. Since Samus has PTSD it was necessary to show it. The fact that Ridley came back from the grave to menace Samus once more pushed her mind to the breaking point. But then she quickly recovered and got back in the fight. Ridley's battle theme was also another highpoint about this game. Unlike the Prime games where Ridley's theme seemed to be lacking many things, Other M's version was packed with power! It was and is to date IMO the best boss theme to come out of any Metroid game. And Ridley himself I found was far more menacing and brutal then his Prime (Meta-Ridley) counterpart. All in all, I love this series. And I do find it interesting that the way the series has unfolded throughout is games seems to mirror the Alien movies. And I love those too!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:08:24 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
Fusion I felt was a little behind Super Metroid. It was wonderful to play the squeal to the greatest SNES title of it's time and it was a long wait. But I felt it just wasn't up to par with it's predecessor.

Don't forget that you're comparing the SNES's capabilities to the GBA's capabilities so naturally the GBA would be inferior. That aside, I think that game was a great example of how much the GBA could be flexed.

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
I'm pretty certain that Sector 1 (SRX) in Metroid Fusion is as close as I'll ever get to a legitimate remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus. -sigh-

I was really hoping for a two-dimensional DS title (of any kind at this point).
(click to show/hide)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »
Loved the Metroid series. Nothing quite like it anywhere. I first started off with Metroid II back in the day. Then went to Super Metroid which was a phenomenal game and to me it's still the best in the whole series; Hands down! Then I finally tried the original Metroid. Metroid's Prime and Fusion came out at around the same time so I got to play both. Fusion I felt was a little behind Super Metroid. It was wonderful to play the squeal to the greatest SNES title of it's time and it was a long wait. But I felt it just wasn't up to par with it's predecessor. That and collecting items with your speed booster/shine spark was more forced on you then in Super. Hopefully they won't do that again. But they did with Metroid Zero Mission. Not a good idea! ZM was also interesting as it added more to the original game. I've also played Metroid's Prime 2 and 3 but I still have yet to finish 3. I never did fully play MP Hunter as the control scheme is just far too scatter. It's all over the place for me to properly get engaged in the game. IMO MP Hunter should've been on a console rather then a portable. It would make playing it much easier. About Metroid: Other M. I personally like the game. It ties the events of Super and Fusion nicely. But the real things that do irk me is that Samus was made a little bit more helpless then she should've been. In the other games there was no man around to protect the helpless woman because Samus is far from being the helpless woman. Samus is a warrior woman and they don't need a man to get in their way believing them to be helpless. It's just NOT DONE. Other things like Samus' suit not changing to look like the Varia or colored to look like the gravity suit kind bother's me. They could have had more items to collect rather then just following orders to activate them when called for. Perhaps the biggest deal was the fact that there was a lot of harping in the story. The Japanese seem to have this obsession to repeat the same things in a different context over and over again. This is not good writing skills at work, they're bad ones. If you heard a line once then leave it be. Don't drag the point on and on. Also I found Samus' narration's in some instances to be useless rather then important. A narration should be to help propel the story along and in essence that's what it did in this game, but there were also some lines that were not needed. This was something I also noticed as a problem in MGS4.
The one thing that I thought was epic was the Ridley intro scene and duel in the magma chamber. Since Samus has PTSD it was necessary to show it. The fact that Ridley came back from the grave to menace Samus once more pushed her mind to the breaking point. But then she quickly recovered and got back in the fight. Ridley's battle theme was also another highpoint about this game. Unlike the Prime games where Ridley's theme seemed to be lacking many things, Other M's version was packed with power! It was and is to date IMO the best boss theme to come out of any Metroid game. And Ridley himself I found was far more menacing and brutal then his Prime (Meta-Ridley) counterpart. All in all, I love this series. And I do find it interesting that the way the series has unfolded throughout is games seems to mirror the Alien movies. And I love those too!

This. Not much more I can add here, except I haven't even gotten through MP2 and M2 NEEDS a 2D remake! I demand it! ... Or a reasonable hack of Fusion.

But, hey. There is this:
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/
"Stuff and things."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
Sorry, I think that I should share this link too, but totally forgot lol
Yeah, this game is perfect, Im following it by 1 or 2 years and this guy have very cool ideas and talent.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »
Awww sweet! I've always wanted to see Metroid 2 get a long deserved facelift.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 08:09:34 PM »
http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html

Here's a good insight as to what Other M's problem where in terms of Samus' characterization and such.

anything