Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: E-bay is worse than drugs  (Read 6224 times)

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 12:12:23 AM »
I can't quite understand you classicgaming collectors.
I guess that like all collectors, you are a bit crazy, willing to pay a lot for a certain rare item I would never even bother to give attention to.

Well, e-bay salespeople are not stupid. They realize that if their merchandise becomes a "collector's item" its value goes skyrockets. So they overprice it, 'cus obviously collectors would pay the price. 

So... Let's make a list. Clothing on e-bay is expensive. Really. 15-20$ for a shirt is like, twice than I'd pay for it in my country. According to what I heard here, video games are expensive too.

No not crazy, I am very frugal in my purchases, I will hunt and hunt and hunt till I can find either something cheap as dirt with free shipping, or low shipping. With over 900 games in my collection, some I have gotten in the wild, some I have had help getting, the only game that is truly rare that I own is a copy of Saturn Mizubaku Daibouken (aka Liquid Kids). If you notice a lot of these high priced items rarely if ever get bid on, put one on watch and see how many times it can get relisted. In the end it's all about what I want to own in my collection, I'm not the one to go hogwild and own every NES release and variant.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »
With over 900 games in my collection

In the end it's all about what I want to own in my collection, I'm not the one to go hogwild and own every NES release and variant.

*Goes to cry in the corner*

900 games? Hell, if I go over all the games I've ever played, chances I won't remember more than a few dozens. Most of the chances that if you ever posted a list of all your games, 90% of them would be ones I never heard of.
Well, I don't consider myself a gamer, anyway.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 01:58:52 PM »
Does your beard grow longer as you own more games?

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »
Evil Bay is great. I think I've only bought one game there (Wing Commander IV), but I've spent thousands of dollars on that site. I usually use it to buy music equipment.

The red guitar in the center is a Gibson SG Special Faded that I paid $400 for. New, they're about $700. The guitar to the right of it is a Fender American Standard Telecaster. I paid $700 for that, and it's in great condition. They go for 1000 new. It's a bit more of a banana cream color in person. The stuff in front of it are effects pedals on a pedal board. I'm not sure how much I spent on all of that, since I bought it all individually, but it's considerable.

The guitar I'm holding in the picture is a Fender Jaguar. I got it used for about $650. New... they're probably around 11 or 1200. The blue guitar is my Fender American Standard Stratocaster. It used to be my dad's but he gave it to me, so now it's like the ancestral weapon (and also my favorite guitar). The amplifier that my body is partially covering up is a 100 watt 1971 Fender Twin Reverb. I paid about $800 for that, but I had about $200 worth of work done on it.

So yeah, most of the stuff in these images was purchased from eBay. I know some people have had bad experiences there, but I've mostly found it to be a great place, and I've made some relatively huge purchases there.

EDIT:
Oh, I also bought a car there for around 2000. I haven't had any trouble with it at all, and the guy I bought it from is a huge Final Fantasy VI fan, and a casual Castlevania one o__ob
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:38:37 PM by Successor The Red »

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
*Goes to cry in the corner*

900 games? Hell, if I go over all the games I've ever played, chances I won't remember more than a few dozens. Most of the chances that if you ever posted a list of all your games, 90% of them would be ones I never heard of.
Well, I don't consider myself a gamer, anyway.

I do have a list, it's on the Games Collection thread, pages 1 and 4 as I broke character limit with the original list.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »
Also, what I never understood is many sellers' refusal to ship abroad. What logical reason is there for that?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 06:49:36 AM »
Also, what I never understood is many sellers' refusal to ship abroad. What logical reason is there for that?

They still think the world is flat, so if they ship abroad the plane/package will just fall off into space.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 01:25:12 PM »

THEY'RE ALL A BUNCH OF FILTHY RACISTS

;D Nah, it's probably because people are paranoid about selling stuff outside their country. It's kinda stupid though, 'cus the buyer pays in advance anyway, so he's the one who's supposed to be concerned.

Anyway, if you see that a certain item is marked "USA only" don't give up! Contact the seller. I found a certain item that has been marked for shipment only in America, messaged the seller about shipping it to my country, and he said "sure, dude, as long as you pay for the shipment" And added the weight & the best shipment price accordingly.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »
I've done that several times and most of the time the sellers do agree to international shipping. But that only makes it more puzzling. Why make the buyer go through the hassle in the first place?

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 07:45:48 AM »

I know the reason why I never have allowed international shipping is because I was very confused about it at first. Although, now that I've read up on it again, it doesn't seem confusing anymore. So, I guess I have no idea why people don't ship outside the USA. I highly doubt they were all confused like me.  :P

But geez. Ebay puts such a huge hole in my pocket. I use it for almost everything I can't find locally. I use Amazon typically only for buying books, lol. I usually buy my games and game systems off of Ebay. Just recently I got a famicom converter cart for the NES and some pirate mulicart games for under $50. I also got a Sega CD and a Genesis that was modded to play Mega Drive games. This came with a thing called CD-X Pro that allows me to play any region Sega/Mega CD games on my Sega CD. It came with one Sega CD game and 5 mega cd games. That one was $86, which was a bit pricy, but worth it to someone who never had a sega cd and was looking for a new, not junky Genesis.  ;D

Also, hint of advice. Never look at Ebay when you are bored. You will more than likely buy something that you really shouldn't buy cause your trying to save money. This has happened to me MANY times. I won't do it again, cause my empty wallet is tired of complaining.  :-[

Offline Bloodreign

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
On ebay you are lucky that you can sell/buy anything out of the US, Yahoo Japan Auctions, you either need a middleman or live in Japan to be able to make purchases off of there.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
Recieved this note with a shirt I bought. Just thought you'd be interested in reading it.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e140/Michael_Davidov/?action=view&current=scan0004.jpg
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:19:50 AM by Drunken Freddy »
~Charlie Sheen

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »
That guy is really devoted to customer care..

Anyway, I was just browsing some Famicoms and there were huge differences between the shipping costs even though they were from the same country. I can only guess that the other one checked them and gave the option of choosing delivery class while the other didn't. It narrows the scope of potential buyers greatly.

Tags: