Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145772 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »
+2
IGA had no part with Order of Shadows, it was developed by an American studio.

Also outside the Dungeon PoR is pretty well regarded.

Offline Darth Cariss

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2014, 12:18:43 PM »
+1
I'm sad to see IGA go. As much as I love Castlevania as a whole, he is responsible for my favorite games in the series. I understand that he couldn't make Castlevania games forever, but I do wish he could've done his final 1999 game first. I kinda feel like we didn't get a complete ending to his saga, which is too bad.

I don't know what's next, and I don't expect to see it for a while, but I hope it's good.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2014, 12:18:55 PM »
IGA had no part with Order of Shadows, it was developed by an American studio.

Also outside the Dungeon PoR is pretty well regarded.
Isn't he credited as producer anyway? And yep, I know about PoR. Still it's sandwiched into 2 good games.

Everything comes full circle

Offline catnipped

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »
I'm calling bullshit on you knowing me. See my join date? (in fact i think I got here in Order of Shadows' times, funnily enough) I was here before LoS, leave your arrogance at the door, kid.
;D

Yah, I don't know you, though I recognized your name on that neogaf thread. So then you've been around long enough to know about Iga's supposed "sexist" comment, and proceeded to pretend to play stupid like you didn't. Trying to make out Iga to be a sexist on there huh? Nice.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
Well did not really expect him to take over the series again anyway, so I'm glad he is gone now so he can do his own thing without Konami keeping him under lock and chain where he can't make the kind of games he wants.

The only letdown is the possibility of no 1999 game which could still happen with him at a consultant role should Konami want to make it, although the chances of the 1999 game being made are now even slimmer than they where before in my opinion.

But I like the idea of him still using Dracula in his future works, as others have pointed out konami does not have the rights to Dracula so we could still get some castlevania'like games from him which is great since he will have full freedom now not to mention he would not be able to reuse CV sprites from older CV games which is something many tend to throw shit at him over.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
I'm sad to see IGA go. As much as I love Castlevania as a whole, he is responsible for my favorite games in the series. I understand that he couldn't make Castlevania games forever, but I do wish he could've done his final 1999 game first. I kinda feel like we didn't get a complete ending to his saga, which is too bad.

I don't know what's next, and I don't expect to see it for a while, but I hope it's good.

The Demon Castle 1999 isn't exactly the final/conclusion to the original series, nothing more but a prologue of an already existing games: Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow which is the "TRUE" conclusion of the original series.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
Yah, I don't know you, though I recognized your name on that neogaf thread. So then you've been around long enough to know about Iga's supposed "sexist" comment, and proceeded to pretend to play stupid like you didn't. Trying to make out Iga to be a sexist on there huh? Nice.
I didn't remember that. Do I look like the Castlevania wiki or something, kid? He's not sexist, but he's a bit weird. Reading his interviews he has such obsucre concepts about many things, I get that's part of his charm but still... I remember when he said he was working to get money to retire, that's something you don't say to your costumers. Hopefully his passion was reignited, it seems so.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:34:59 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
The Demon Castle 1999 isn't exactly the final/conclusion to the original series, nothing more but a prologue of an already existing games: Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow which is the "TRUE" conclusion of the original series.

True, but it IS the end of Dracula physically existing in the realm of mortals with him officially being killed off for good.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
True, but it IS the end of Dracula physically existing in the realm of mortals with him officially being killed off for good.

But he still resurrected in form of Soma and there's a chance that he will return to the dark side like he was before as seen in the bad ending of Sorrow games.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »
+3
Noticing some venom in the thread recently, whatever your opinion on IGA's work let's all stay civil guys. No two peoples lists of likes and dislikes will ever match up perfectly, nor should they. Personally while I dislike some of IGA's output but I've enjoyed it on the whole. And as I said earlier I look forward to seeing what he'll do freed from a lot of the constraints that tied him down previously.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »
But he still resurrected in form of Soma and there's a chance that he will return to the dark side like he was before as seen in the bad ending of Sorrow games.

He was not resurrected in Soma...he was "reincarnated" in Soma which is completely different.

There is a chance that a "spiritually" controlled Soma by Dracula's soul could turn into something very much like Dracula (as shown in AOS and DOS's bad endings) with memories of his past life but the original Dracula is gone for good.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:07:45 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »
+5
Wow that's big news.
I'm not sure how I feel about it.I understand why he had to leave, and I'm happy that he decided to create his own studio.But at the same time I'm kinda sad because that means he won't ever work on Castlevania again.
One thing is for sure, I blame Konami for this. The way they decided to handle the series is the worst that could happen to Metroidvania fans. I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

This my good Sir is quoting  and signature material.
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2014, 01:35:37 PM »
Wow that's big news.
I'm not sure how I feel about it.I understand why he had to leave, and I'm happy that he decided to create his own studio.But at the same time I'm kinda sad because that means he won't ever work on Castlevania again.
One thing is for sure, I blame Konami for this. The way they decided to handle the series is the worst that could happen to Metroidvania fans. I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

gave you a upvote because I agree with most of what you said and the last part was funny lol. ;D

But to be fair the rat stealth/stealth period is definitely going to be gone for good in the next Castlevania game if you ask me, those stealth sections are pretty much the main glaring reason LOS2 suffered so much, sure it had some other problems but those stealth sections killed the game for a lot of people a lot of which happened to be reviewers who gave the game a bad score.

Konami surely noticed and should another castlevania game be made I doubt it would be reused again.

Stealth should not have even been in a castlevania game period if you ask me.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »
He was not resurrected in Soma...he was "reincarnated" in Soma which is completely different.

There is a chance that a "spiritually" controlled Soma by Dracula's soul could turn into something very much like Dracula (as shown in AOS and DOS's bad endings) with memories of his past life but the original Dracula is gone for good.

If Dracula was really gone for good then even his soul should be destroyed as well. Resurrected or reincarnated, either of them marks the reborn of Dracula plus his castle was just sealed(which can be broken on some other way) not completely destroyed. If 1999 Demon Castle War was the real conclusion then there should be no events afterwards like the Sorrow games.

Actually Dracula being stealthy and transform into rat is quite accurate to the original Bram Stoker novel(I think) or the 1992 film adaptation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrKUosSM7s

Tags: