Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Savage :The Shard of Gosen  (Read 41802 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
Well I finally gave the demo a try and it works perfectly on my rig. It's a pretty good game from how little of it I was able to play. I got stuck in the area where the slaves were mining, and couldn't proceed any further then that. If that's all there was to the demo then it was still pretty good. To play through the entirety of the game would be awesome.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »
Well I finally gave the demo a try and it works perfectly on my rig. It's a pretty good game from how little of it I was able to play. I got stuck in the area where the slaves were mining, and couldn't proceed any further then that. If that's all there was to the demo then it was still pretty good. To play through the entirety of the game would be awesome.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!

You can certainly progress farther. There are doors with locks on them. To open doors with gray-ish locks, you need an iron key. To open the gold locks, you need to find a gold key. If you have the required keys, all you have to do to open the corresponding door is to attack it.

Hope that helps!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
Sadly not really. I can't talk to anyone or go anywhere were there might be a key to retrieve. But it's still a good game  :)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2016, 08:15:24 PM »
I tried to take a few screenshots of what it's doing.  It actually did more than usual this time.  In my first attempt, I took screenshots while the game was playing in full screen.  Unfortunately, those pictures didn't work -- they were merely pictures of my desktop, somehow.  I restarted the game and quickly put it into a window and got a few pics I've (hopefully) uploaded here.

This is the sprite-map-like screen I also mentioned previously, where it seemed to stop before.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:17:55 PM by theANdROId »

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2016, 08:17:16 PM »
This one is new tonight.  It almost looks like the game is running somewhere in there, but it's obviously covered in a mess of stuff.  That stuff is constantly changing too, like, new little images are continuously popping up all over the place.

Sorry about the double post...I don't have a clue what I'm doing and it seems I can only post one pic at a time.  I expect these are the two most important though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:18:50 PM by theANdROId »

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2016, 04:33:47 AM »
I tried to take a few screenshots of what it's doing.  It actually did more than usual this time.  In my first attempt, I took screenshots while the game was playing in full screen.  Unfortunately, those pictures didn't work -- they were merely pictures of my desktop, somehow.  I restarted the game and quickly put it into a window and got a few pics I've (hopefully) uploaded here.

This is the sprite-map-like screen I also mentioned previously, where it seemed to stop before.

This one is new tonight.  It almost looks like the game is running somewhere in there, but it's obviously covered in a mess of stuff.  That stuff is constantly changing too, like, new little images are continuously popping up all over the place.

Sorry about the double post...I don't have a clue what I'm doing and it seems I can only post one pic at a time.  I expect these are the two most important though.

Wow!! ... I mean, my first response would be to take the cartridge out and blow on it.

But in all seriousness, I have never seen this before. The game is definitely running under there. I can see elements of the intro and starting area. For instance, those chopped up cascading square pieces -- they look like the behavior of the distant smoke in the burning village in the first level.

It looks like, somehow, almost every single visual asset in the game got its index messed up and swapped with another one from a different texture page -- maybe during the unpack of the .exe.

I unfortunately have no idea how to fix this.

But we can start with deleting the game's data folders and directory, deleting the .exe and downloading the latest build.

Go here and delete everything in and including the "Savage_The_Shard_of_Gosen" directory: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Savage_The_Shard_of_Gosen
Delete the "SAVAGE The Shard of Gosen <build number>.exe" wherever you downloaded it to.

Get the latest build: http://www.indiedb.com/games/savage-the-shard-of-gosen/downloads/savage-the-shard-of-gosen-public-alpha-50

Hopefully it works after all that. Beyond that, next update I will also build an installer for the game (in addition to the single runtime exe) - maybe that might work correctly on your machine.

Anyway, thanks for sharing those screens! Sorry for the frustration, but at least those screenshots are fascinating...

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2016, 09:10:13 AM »
Didn't seem to work, but thanks!  As you said, maybe your next update will fix it, and I have a local (brilliant) techie friend who might be able to come up with something.  In the meantime, I'll still keep my eyes on this game!  I'm kinda hoping to replace one or both of my computers soon (both need it for various reasons but that won't be until Christmas I expect...which reminds me I should try this on my other computer and see how it does.) and maybe that will resolve things too.  Thanks again though, and keep up the fantastic looking work!

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
Didn't seem to work, but thanks!  As you said, maybe your next update will fix it, and I have a local (brilliant) techie friend who might be able to come up with something.  In the meantime, I'll still keep my eyes on this game!  I'm kinda hoping to replace one or both of my computers soon (both need it for various reasons but that won't be until Christmas I expect...which reminds me I should try this on my other computer and see how it does.) and maybe that will resolve things too.  Thanks again though, and keep up the fantastic looking work!

Thanks and sorry to hear that, man -- yeah, that's some bizarre behavior! It'd be interesting to hear if your buddy has any insight into all of this. But yeah, it could just be some weird anomaly relating to the way Game Maker: Studio (the software I use to build the game) compiles and packages it's .exe and your system. I'll keep my fingers crossed concerning your other rig!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2016, 10:46:16 AM »
I forgot to mention this but I feel it's relevant. I named my character Conan before I played the demo. And considering the story I saw before playing the game it fit perfectly, lol.

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2016, 11:03:39 AM »
I forgot to mention this but I feel it's relevant. I named my character Conan before I played the demo. And considering the story I saw before playing the game it fit perfectly, lol.

Haha! Awesome -- I have done that, too, plenty of times while playtesting XD

I forgot to mention before, too -- if you're having trouble tracking down keys to progress past the room with the slaves and the locked doors and you wanted to see more:

Exit the room to the left -- the adjacent room with the spider will have a crate containing an iron key. The iron key will open the iron locked door in the slave room. Items sometimes spawn close to and get stuck in solids -- if this happens, just exit and everything will respawn, including the crates.

These aren't spoilers or anything  since item placement, story elements and baddies will be changed, shifted around and fixed come launch.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »
I tried it out. It's really fun. But... It's generic. I can't find anything that sets it apart from the current spew of pixel platformers other than the great art you have going on.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Dunno if it was posted already, but I found this error.

It happened on the room under the one where you find the hammer to use with the anvil. There are two shelled creatures. The first does nothing anormal but the second, if you stomp on it and try to pick it up while standing on a slope, returns this error.

I was able to reproduce it three times.

Also yes, I'm aware this is a buggy mess, as you state on the very first screen. i'm telling you this because well... It might be useful xD
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:47:16 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »
I tried it out. It's really fun. But... It's generic. I can't find anything that sets it apart from the current spew of pixel platformers other than the great art you have going on.

Thanks for giving it a try and sharing your feedback -- while generic, I'm glad you had some fun!

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2016, 12:49:22 PM »
Dunno if it was posted already, but I found this error.

It happened on the room under the one where you find the hammer to use with the anvil. There are two shelled creatures. The first does nothing anormal but the second, if you stomp on it and try to pick it up while standing on a slope, returns this error.

I was able to reproduce it three times.

Also yes, I'm aware this is a buggy mess, as you state on the very first screen. i'm telling you this because well... It might be useful xD

Thanks Plottwist!

This is exactly the kind of feedback I need! And yes, you nailed it -- trying to lift stunned enemies while on a slope is causing a lot of problems  that lead to crashes right now. A fix is coming!

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2016, 03:56:24 PM »
2016.09.04 - Super (re)Sized!

Happy Sunday!

This week sees quite a few fixes to issues plaguing the alpha demo! Let's talk about a couple of the biggest and most obnoxious ones:

Alt+Tabbing

This... this has been the bane of my existence for quite a while -- BUT, there's finally a fix for it!

Once upon a time, the game, when minimized, or not in focus, still accepted input. Gamepad buttons would still register, as well as keyboard key presses. So if, say, you were alt+tabbed out and Googling something, any keys that performed an action in the game would register.

I tried to fix this by locking out controls when the game registered an "OS pause event". The problem with this, was that locking out controls if you were in a menu screen, title screen, fade in/out -- ANYWHERE but the actual game-y bits, you could not regain control when maximizing your window or trying to get back into the game again.

Now, you can alt+tab like a monkey on too much caffeine and the game (maybe) won't break! YAY!

Display Size

Currently, the game only draws to an aspect ratio of 16:9, and this caused issues when in full screen on some displays.

Now, the game will respect the size of ANY crazy aspect ratio, while still maintaining it's visuals and aspect ratio.

I even got some use out of this older monitor to test display sizes with!

Different aspect ratios will be supported down the road, but at least now you can play the demo without having vital information cropped from the screen (like the player character's life bar).

Anomalies and Weird Stuff

Here are some (hopefully) extreme edge case issues reported here:

My first response to this would have been to take the cartridge out and blow into it.

Super weird (and very unsettling from a technical standpoint)! Though, I did get some silly enjoyment from seeing those screens. I have no idea what's going on here, but hopefully no one else is experiencing this madness. Let me know if you are!

A potential fix to this might be to download an installer for the game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/78z5rglga9jkwmh/SAVAGE%20The%20Shard%20of%20Gosen-a5.1.2%20Installer.exe?dl=0

Latest Build and Fixes

he latest build for the alpha demo, if you don't get it through Steam, is here:

http://gamejolt.com/games/savage-the-shard-of-gosen-alpha/16310

Patch notes for alpha 5.1.2:

• Alt tabbing no longer causes certain screens to become unresponsive  
  • When application loses focus (alt+tabbing or clicking outside of game window), added click prompt to unfreeze game  
  • Fixed a bug that caused playtime to reset once you exit a procedural encounter on worldmap  
  • Fixed the game crashing if you navigate to the 'skills' or 'quest' menus  
  • Fixed mining prison elevator wait time  
  • Pickups are now drawn in front of everything to make them more visible
  • Improved game scaling based on display size  
  • Tidied up a couple door, tile, object and enemy placements in mining prison
  • Fixed save/load system and ironed out a ton of bugs (more probably remain)
  • Deleted save files will clear their display data when deleting a save slot from the load game menu  
  • Game would crash when backing out of Sound menu if a "yes/no" prompt was up Smith hammer drops off of a certain boss

It's a somewhat short list, but a big chunk of last week was spent making sure all of the Kickstarter backers Steam keys were sent out. More to come!

Thanks again everyone, and I hope you all had a great weekend!

-Matt

Tags: