Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Savage :The Shard of Gosen  (Read 41799 times)

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »
Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the old school look much..... but damn it, if it's animation is not smooth as fuck! Looks freakin' awesome.

What's the price you're looking at?

Haha, that's totally fair! I'm a big fan of chunky pixel art -- and it has the upside of being the easiest and quickest to produce for me as a one man project. And thanks very much for that :)

I'm thinking somewhere around 8 bucks for the finished version if all goes according to plan -- but I'll have a better idea about what's fair once all the content is finalized.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2016, 04:36:29 AM »
At 8 bucks, consider your game bought.

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2016, 03:42:42 PM »
2016.08.14 - The Shadow Knows

Greetings!

Last week I talked about fixing bugs and tidying up issues in preparation for releasing a playable build that includes the first few levels and areas of the game. The battle continues this week -- here's a list of issues and bugs that have been utterly destroyed (fixed)!!

Bugs and Issues Slain
  • Fixed shield door bug
  • Fixed blood on moving stuff bug
  • Fixed hitting/opening treasure chests
  • Fixed falling spike hitting shield
  • Black circles around torches when fading in/out and creating pause screen
  • Redid Screen Draw post FX pipeline to accomodate for day/night and torchlight
  • Fixed pause screen shuts off day/night
  • Fixed pause screen turns off season check
  • UI elements placement fix
  • Overworld solid mountains
  • Other overworld solids
  • Shield UI
  • Fixed hide armor duck block sprite (pictured above)
  • Recolor plain GUI background sprites
  • Drop armor bug (dropping a set of armor from the inventory screen crashed the game)
  • ACCOUNT FOR ALL DROPPED ITEMS!! (certain other dropped items from inventory screen crashed the game)
  • Throwing Weapons XP bug (incorrect display of throwing weapons experience points, level, and damage values in inventory screen)
  • Fixed enemy hit by thrown object hurt timer
  • Fixed saber weapon animation (just looked crappy)
  • Spiked enemies hurt when you jump on them
  • Redid shadow sizes and distance

An issue and criticism that's been repeatedly brought up is the way player character shadows are drawn when a light source is nearby (torch, candle, etc.). I've finally gotten around to addressing this and tidying it up.

While not 100% where I'd like it, it's a lot more appealing to look at and far less dramatic than how it used to be. I can now turn shadows cast by instances of light sources on and off, so if there is a lone torch against a sky only backdrop, for example, there won't be a shadow drawn awkwardly against nothing but sky.

Enemies also cast shadows, again!  

And for those tricky cases where there is only a limited amount of space that you'd like a torch to cast a shadow across, I have put "shadow limiters" in certain areas where, if there is a limiter between an entity and a light source, the shadow will not be drawn.

Here's the video of the livestream I captured of trying to sort out this very issue (the video will be available later on Youtube later, as well):

https://www.twitch.tv/toborprime/v/83490580

Speaking of bad guys, I finally switched on spiky bits causing damage if you attempt to jump on their heads. I've gone through every enemy object in the game (so far) and made sure this works where appropriate (enemies that can potentially spawn with a spiked/horned helmet, creatures that can spawn with naturally grown spikes or horns). This definitely makes fights more interesting and challenges your ability to make snappy tactical decisions. I got so used to testing the game without this feature turned on -- it's nice to get my butt kicked in a brand new way, ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7PLcJCYoJQ

In this livestream here, I also talk about padding out the game with artificial progression. By that I mean I had planned to include certain items in the game (the core UI code is also built around this) that gave you the ability to quick slot off hand weapons and certain consumables.  

Those boxes there are (or, were) tied to whether or not you found the "Item Pouch", "Hunter Belt" and "Warrior Belt" respectively. I've scrapped all that and these features are available right from the get-go (your equipped shield now shows up on the hud, too).

Take the Item Pouch, for instance: consumables that are equipped to this slot can be used on the fly with a mapped button press. If you did not have the Item Pouch, you would have to pause the game by going into your inventory screen, accessing the consumables tab, FIND the item you wanted to gulp down, and "use" it. The same result can be achieved by simply having the chosen consumable slotted to the Item Pouch box and hitting your "Use Item" button when you need it.  

The only real difference between these two methods is that one simply takes longer and is a hassle. It doesn't make the game more interesting or challenging... So, bye bye equipment-dependent sub item slots!

LOTS of UI Fixes

For a while now, since I changed the way the game was drawn to the screen, the in-game menu has been drawing all sorts of wonky. That's now fixed, as well as properly displaying your shield.

I've also eliminated the "Shield" menu item in the equipment screen, since shields and weapons exist within the same inventory list. The manner in which you equip a shield is the same as how you equip a sword, etc. Having a seperate "Shield" access node on the equipment manager felt needlessly complicated and redundant.

I've also adjusted the brightness of text boxes and general UI windows to make text more readable. I want to give players more options concerning that later, like different style backgrounds for these elements.

The Battle Continues...

Here's the list of things that still need to be (potentially) addressed or fixed before I release the playable build:

• Improve the manner in which shadows are drawn
  • Torches can be destroyed and drop items (like a certain super rad video
  • game series featuring a very serious gentleman brandishing a deadly whip)
  • pickups that get stuck in boulders
  • completely get rid of backpack check
  • completely get rid of hunter belt check
  • completely get rid of warrior belt check
  • completely get rid of item pouch check
  • finish first NPC village including (finally) a vendor  
  • finalize dialogue bits and interaction with the NPCs in the mining prison  
  • redesign UI interaction with gamepad and keyboard  
  • implement save system  
  • finish burning village story events  
  • finish Tra'Tibowt boss fight  
  • updated impact sprites (like jumping on an enemy's head and stunning them)
  • more general and universal sprites for the overworld encounters  
  • fine tune enemy and item placement  
  • Sort items based on category in inventories (clean up function)

I'm still on track to get you guys a playable build, but I still have to figure out the delivery mechanism -- like, it would be GREAT to start figuring out how to get Steam keys to everyone who still needs one, and give them access to a live development build that I update regularly before launch. I'll keep you all posted as I figure out the particulars on that as well!

That's all for this week! Have a great rest of your weekend and I'll see you next update!
-Matt

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2016, 05:20:36 PM »
This is all I have to say on this project, and the video sums up my enthusiasm rather well.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2016, 06:38:38 PM »
I have only one question: Why isn't the internet talking more about this game?

I mean, I barely comment here and I seldom see someone do it. But I'm eager, man. I'm really eager.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 03:11:25 AM »
At 8 bucks, consider your game bought.

Seconded. $8 sounds like a steal, this looks like it'll be great.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2016, 11:34:53 AM »
This is all I have to say on this project, and the video sums up my enthusiasm rather well.

That cracks me up and has the added bonus effect of getting me super pumped!

I have only one question: Why isn't the internet talking more about this game?

I mean, I barely comment here and I seldom see someone do it. But I'm eager, man. I'm really eager.

Thank you, sir! I am just as eager to finish the thing. I'll keep you guys posted on when the new demo is playable (there's an older janky-er one that was updated in 2014 -- it's a much different game in a lot of respects now).

Seconded. $8 sounds like a steal, this looks like it'll be great.

Thanks! I'll know more on a final price once the game is just about wrapped up, but yeah, I feel in my bones that around $8 sounds about where it will wind up.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2016, 06:59:57 PM »
I can't even begin to express how good this looks and how much I want it!

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2016, 08:53:11 PM »
I can't even begin to express how good this looks and how much I want it!

Well thank you very much!  Working hard to deliver on those expectations!  :)

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2016, 12:44:29 PM »
Hey there!

You'll have to forgive me if this is a somewhat short update - I've been up for about 24 hours at this point, but it's been worth it! The shiny new alpha demo is up and ready for you to break!

New Playable Alpha Demo

You can download it here: http://gamejolt.com/games/savage-the-shard-of-gosen-alpha/16310

Things are still rough, broken, unfinished and unbalanced, but this is FAR more indicative of what the final game will look and feel like.

On offer is the first section of the overworld map. I've artificially constrained the gameplay to that area (boo!) because venturing beyond this zone will quickly cause things to fall apart (yay!) since all of that stuff is lying in pieces in front of me on my monitor.

What Didn't Make it?!

There's also a TON of stuff that I wanted to have ready for this demo that didn't quite make it and would require another week of play testing, chief among them being the save system, unfortunately (or what would eventually turn into the rock solid save system). But that's next on my list.

An early form of persistence is intact, though, and will keep track during a play session of (most) pertinent things, like which doorways have been unlocked, gates opened, etc.

I've also been digging around in Steam's backend (that sounds super wrong... or right, depending) to figure out the Steam key delivery system, and it looks like I'll have that figured out soon, too.

Keys Update

I want to also give early backers (Kickstarter and Groupees) "beta" keys that allow you to circumvent the release status of the game. In other words, I would be giving you access to live development builds as progress is made, and Steam would automatically (I think) update the game for you.

Anyhow, have a gander at the new build and feel free to tell me what you think so far!

Have a great rest of your weekend! 'Til next update!

-Matt

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »
2016.08.28 - Hammer Time, Saving the World (and everything else)!

Good morning (or whenever)!

Save System

Just jumping right into it -- this update sees the completion of the game's save system! YAAY!

This was one infuriatingly complicated task, I don't mind saying. To give you a rough estimate of the keyboard gymnastics involved, to get it up to this point (fully functional, with save slot support and deleting said slots within the UI) took over 60 hours this week -- but it was worth it.

There were a number of complications I ran into, especially getting those save slots to draw their relevant data correctly. I was originally accessing the appropriate save files (in .ini format for the time being) to draw things like armor, HP, play time... this caused the framerate to plummet like a ton of bricks.

To remedy this, when the game now saves, 'display data' is now saved to a much smaller, seperate file that is only accessed to display the nifty graphics on the load menu. In fact, as I write this, I'm thinking of ways to improve it even further... so everything I just typed will probably change - ha!

Deleting a slot was challenging to engineer as well -- having to set a flag in another settings file to reset the "working save slot", and also tell the newly deleted and recreated save slots that it has "no data" in it, so the game knows that when the empty file is accessed to simply start a new game.

It's all working and fully functional now, though! The game will save your progress every time you transition from screen to screen -- this will NOT, however, function as a checkpoint. For now, checkpoints are invisible, but will eventually look something like the main character taking a swig of some fun juice (as pictured in the first gif of this post).

When you die, you will start back at your last checkpoint visited, but will retain all of your items and story progress.

Another challenge moving forward is remembering to save the player's location and state after a big story event or something, like after you're taken prisoner and complete the initial burning village sequence:

Go here to check out the latest archived livestream I captured while working on the save system: https://www.twitch.tv/toborprime/profile

Sorry it's muted -- I was listening to too much unlicensed rock and or roll. I'll re-upload the stream on the youtube channel with some of my own music over the video later on.

Hammer!

The forge hammer pickup is now active in the game, and you now need it in order to interact with the forge. To convey this I threw together some extra UI animations and elements:

... And then after finding the hammer, you can go ahead and pound away on the anvil:

Big Screen!

I have a live build constantly updating via the Steam pipeline, and it feels pretty awesome to access it via the big screen!

For the past week, I have been doing most of my playtesting this way to get a feel for how everything works the way someone playing the game normally would -- I gotta say, it's pretty exciting to interact with it this way!

Fixed, Completed, and ToDo

Here's a list of fixes and addressed issues:
  • Added fully functioning Save, Load, and Delete save system
  • Added 'Continue' and 'Load Game' options to main menu, as well as some visual clean up
  • Shield doesn't get created when loading or continuing a game  
  • kell can't attack when colliding with anvil object  
  • Slavers no longer drop gold keys  
  • rewrote gamepad and keyboard input
  • there was a problem on Windows 10 while using an Xbox 360 gamepad - button mapping was all messed up and most buttons would not register  
  • removed 'global.fortOpen' checks that were crashing the game  
  • fix burning village NPCs not showing up  
  • pickup forge hammer  
  • static values (like what sprite a weapon or armor should draw in the UI) get messed up on loading a game file  
  • rewrite save system to re-initialize static values  
  • create seperate data file to save load screen display data to so that we are not opening 3 massive save files  
  • display forge hammer in UI if found  
  • can only use forge if a forge hammer is owned
  • Create "up" arrow effect when able to interact with anvil  
  • create 'no hammer' prompt when trying to use the anvil without hammer  
  • going back to burning village after escaping mining prison starts the beginning of the game all over again

... And next up:
  • alt+tabbing is horrible and can lead to the game becoming unresponsive, while keys and buttons become frozen (i.e. holding 'left' is always true), especially when on title screen  
  • when game is minimized, it still accepts input from gamepads and keyboard  
  • dying before getting throwing knives in cave starts you back behind the cave-in, which makes progress impossible  
  • redesign UI interaction with gamepad and keyboard  
  • create little loading icon thing to alert players that the game is auto-saving  
  • overworld hide armor sprites  
  • change some door positions  
  • fix elevator wait time  
  • create a mirrored player attack object when attacking for better attack coverage  
  • if you hit 'enter' during the intro while you are defeated, the game breaks and you cannot progress  
  • candles should also cast light  
  • rewrite certain lines of intro dialogue
  • lifting enemies is buggy, especially on ramps
  • cannot lift objects on ramps
  • pushing down + forward + dodge causes kell to dodge backward 'forever'
  • Torches can be destroyed and drop items (like a certain super rad video
  • game series featuring a very serious gentleman brandishing a deadly whip)
  • pickups that get stuck in boulders
  • completely get rid of backpack check
  • completely get rid of hunter belt check
  • completely get rid of warrior belt check
  • completely get rid of item pouch check
  • finish first NPC village including (finally) a vendor
  • finalize dialogue bits and interaction with the NPCs in the mining prison
  • finish burning village Maginoch events and boss fight
  • finish Tra'Tibowt boss fight
  • updated impact sprites (like jumping on an enemy's head and stunning them)
  • more general and universal sprites for the overworld encounters
  • fine tune enemy and item placement
  • Sort items based on category in inventories (clean up function)
  • flames hurt and will 'burn' enemies
  • create new 'thug' enemy (less powerful, unarmored 'Brute')

Try the new build here: http://gamejolt.com/games/savage-the-shard-of-gosen-alpha/16310

That's a wrap for this update! Have a great rest of your weekend and I'll continue to keep you all posted!

-Matt[/list]

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2016, 05:11:23 PM »
Neither build seems to work for me. :-/
I get a black screen, then some brown pixel-rectangles appear in the top-left corner, the screen flashes white, the pixels now reappear white, then it ends on what looks like a sprite sheet (with a bunch of various images) except there is nothing distinguishable on it -- just a bunch of random colors of pixels.

Any thoughts?  I don't know if it'd work, but I could try to get some pictures maybe...

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2016, 05:26:20 PM »
Neither build seems to work for me. :-/
I get a black screen, then some brown pixel-rectangles appear in the top-left corner, the screen flashes white, the pixels now reappear white, then it ends on what looks like a sprite sheet (with a bunch of various images) except there is nothing distinguishable on it -- just a bunch of random colors of pixels.

Any thoughts?  I don't know if it'd work, but I could try to get some pictures maybe...

Whoa! Yeah, I haven't run into that before -- haven't heard it mentioned yet either.

What version of Windows are you running?

Also, what are your system specs? (RAM, Graphics card and memory, Processor, etc.)

So far, I have tested it on a couple different Windows 7 machines, and one very low spec laptop running Windows 10. I am not sure if the game will run on an OS lower than 7, since I am using GameMaker: Studio -- but I could be wrong.

Sorry it isn't working for you!

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2016, 06:35:09 PM »
Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30GHz
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400 GPU

EDIT: I've run a handful of other Steam games without any trouble (Hero Siege, Gauntlet, Axiom Verge, the Bloodstained Demo, and a few others...) if that makes any difference.  (I'm pretty good with working with a computer and figuring something out, but I don't actually know much of the technical info. :-/ )
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:46:55 PM by theANdROId »

Offline toborprime

• Hunter in Training
    • Planet Tobor
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2016, 07:27:31 PM »
Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30GHz
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400 GPU

EDIT: I've run a handful of other Steam games without any trouble (Hero Siege, Gauntlet, Axiom Verge, the Bloodstained Demo, and a few others...) if that makes any difference.  (I'm pretty good with working with a computer and figuring something out, but I don't actually know much of the technical info. :-/ )

Hrrm... yeah, this is strange. I have tested the game out on an 8.1 laptop with integrated graphics and similar specs and it ran then -- same laptop was updated to Windows 10 and it still works on there -- sorry it isn't working for you! I'll do some more looking around about this issue and see what I can do.

In the meantime I will keep posting news updates here, along with updated builds -- maybe, for whatever reason, one of those will work.

Thanks for relaying this info!

Tags: