Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Season 3 obvious Anti-Christianity propaganda  (Read 11956 times)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Season 3 obvious Anti-Christianity propaganda
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 02:09:28 AM »
What till he finds out Baphomet is in Dragon Ball now... :o

They should get Guts from Berserk to come in and sword out goat-d*** with his massive cleaver, just like the manga! XD
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 11:07:00 PM »
Anyway for a series that consider Christianity as a force of good and revolves around it this animation sure put Christianity in a bad light which goes against the core concept of Castlevania good and evil powers.
Christianity not so much.  Christians (notably fire and brimstone ignoramuses and institutionalized, politically influential religious organizations and those that abuse that institutional power), sure, and I do agree that the show is a bit obtuse with its criticism but it's not exactly a subtle show in general.

- Sypha Belnades has turned from a Pure Christian Hunter to an edgy Atheist from Avatar who want to Destroy the Church.
We can't have one of the main characters be Christian because then Christians will be good in which it goes against the anti-Christians propaganda.
Tbh it's a vast improvement over the Judgment Sypha which used her belonging to the Church to turn her into an insufferable bigot, something I imagine you also would have had a problem with as well. :-/

- Christians bring misfortune on people again.
Yeah, Christians never do that, and neither do people who have predominance in a culture in general. *rolls eyes*
Show has good Christians, too.  Hilarious how a couple of portrayals of shitty Christians get people torqued out of shape when by and large Christian portrayals in media (and even in Castlevania media) are overwhelmingly positive.

- The One Who's Many (Legion) It's based on a Christian story where Jesus Heals a man whom was Prossessed by a large number of demons.
In the animation we see the people prossessed wear Crown of Thorn which a symbol of Jesus so this takes the story and flips it on it's head by implying:
Jesus instead of healing people he unleash demons on them prossessing them, and Jesus is the man on tower and all the other mindless people are Christians.
Legion in the show is based off of Legion in the game.  The crown of thorns in this instance is probably the only thing you can actually link to the original story and the profane use of a holy symbol is not in and of itself an attack on Christianity or a comment on some sort of hypothetical "real story" but is very much in line with something an evil character would do.  You're just trying to twist it to force it to have the worst possible meaning you can imagine.  This is a massive stretch.

- flip the statue of Jesus... is another way of saying Christianity is bad and you're going to hell for it.
Inverted cross is a reference to Saint Peter, and is not at all unheard of for Christians to use.  As I recall, he was martyred upside-down in order to show his unworthiness compared to Jesus' sacrifice.  Therefore, inverting the cross symbolizes humility in deference to Christ.  Admittedly, some idiots treat it as a Satanic symbol.
*googles, not sure if I remember correctly*
Yep. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Peter

If anything the biggest general failing in the show, imo, is that it doesn't really do enough to show that Dracula is wrong, that humans deserve to exist, lol.  Way too many of the characters in general are just massive asshats with very little justification for being so, and that doesn't just apply to Christians.

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 09:28:37 AM »
If anything the biggest general failing in the show, imo, is that it doesn't really do enough to show that Dracula is wrong, that humans deserve to exist, lol.  Way too many of the characters in general are just massive asshats with very little justification for being so, and that doesn't just apply to Christians.

In all fairness, I believe the games also keep it somewhat ambivalent, that Dracula may actually have a point. After all, they can't stop being evil, so that some higher being comes to do the evil unto them that they already commit to each other might be considered quite fair. Castlevania never was quite clear on the stance that Dracula is wholly wrong.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 05:54:54 PM »
Hey I'm back
Haven't been here in a long time and nobody remember me, maybe I should call myself Forgotten One. ;D ;D

Anyway for a series that consider Christianity as a force of good and revolves around it this animation sure put Christianity in a bad light which goes against the core concept of Castlevania good and evil powers.

- Sypha Belnades has turned from a Pure Christian Hunter to an edgy Atheist from Avatar who want to Destroy the Church.
We can't have one of the main characters be Christian because then Christians will be good in which it goes against the anti-Christians propaganda.

- Christians bring misfortune on people again.

- The One Who's Many (Legion) It's based on a Christian story where Jesus Heals a man whom was Prossessed by a large number of demons.
In the animation we see the people prossessed wear Crown of Thorn which a symbol of Jesus so this takes the story and flips it on it's head by implying:
Jesus instead of healing people he unleash demons on them prossessing them, and Jesus is the man on tower and all the other mindless people are Christians.

- The philosopher bug who came and say basically Christianity is Evil to a Muslim.

- The church presumably find the truth about their faith and flip the statue of Jesus to point under to hell is another way of saying Christianity is bad and you're going to hell for it.

Like really really wtf, I'm not religious but this is pathetic to be honest.
Adaptation yeah right more like hate propaganda.

The OP is a example of False Equivalence because how can there be "hate propaganda against Christians" when we already live in a predominately christian society first of all which the OP here is deflecting that fact here due to wrapping themselves up as the victim here?

Then again you must remember that the Castlevania games came from a time where plots were alot more simplistic than they are today hence more straightforward not to mention most of the time the legitimacy of Christianity let alone the Church is never questioned despite what history says.

Of course the reason why crosses, holy water, etc works in this game because it comes from staple Vampire tropes dating back to literature but them working doesn't mean they are "Good destroying Evil" however.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:05:01 PM by Zydalc »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 12:28:47 PM »
late here but
The OP is a example of False Equivalence because how can there be "hate propaganda against Christians" when we already live in a predominately christian society
Let's not pretend we are not token christian at best. We live in a society founded on christian values and beliefs. Which have arguably all degraded over time. Not to mention, living in a predominantly christian society does not stop netflix from, being the kind of company it is, and headquartered in the state it is- From being subversive in that regard.

The Church in Wallachia being corrupt, and the bishop in particular being very un-christian was fine. Not like there was not corruption in the church in those times. And we were shown later , that it wasnt discounting it all entirely. A proper priests does create holy water later in Season 1.

In season 3, the whole thing with the philosopher demon, and Isaac being "I'm Muslim btw" felt a bit too on the nose.

that said
- The church presumably find the truth about their faith and flip the statue of Jesus to point under to hell is another way of saying Christianity is bad and you're going to hell for it.
you're reading too much into that. The whole story there was supposed to show them being heretical priests. They no longer worshipped God or followed Christianity. They essentially became demon worshippers, seduced by the demon that crashed into their Monastery. Which is why they flipped the statue upside down. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, maybe you forgot, but Castlevania is rife with satanic cultists who want to resurrect Dracula, which is basically what the whole plot there was about.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »
I saw a thread on Reddit that was saying anyone who likes Lenore is a simp because she's a manipulative sadistic vampire character. I tried to start a secondary conversation about how people feel about manipulative sadistic human characters and I used my Charlotte fanfiction as an example.

Now people seem confused over whether me posting my own fanfiction means I'm a desperate pathetic geek or a "madlad" who made a "power move."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 05:00:12 AM »
There is not one single Church. You have the Roman Catholic, the Eastern Orthodox, the Gnostic (I like some of their literature), as well as numerous fringe groups that the Church put down as heretics. The guys worshiping a demon were a fringe group, not normal Christians. The bishop getting his head crushed was a normal Christian, but I couldn't tell if he was Eastern Orthodox or not (which is who held sway over Romania).

...I don't really know what was up with that guy killing kids, but whatever. Kids are annoying, I can relate.

The series should have gone the route of criticizing religious zealotry. That'd be more in line with the games.

As for anti-Christian symbolism in the games, I wouldn't say anything was really anti-Christian, but anti-Orthodoxy. And even then, most of that could just be written off as demonic perversion of Christian symbolism. The confessional priest ghost, the religious imagery in Dracula's paintings, some other stuff I can't bother remembering. Yeah, the Belmonts were Christian, but they weren't Catholic. ...Were they even excommunicated? Was that ever explicitly mentioned?
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 07:42:04 AM »
+1
Yeah, the Belmonts were Christian, but they weren't Catholic. ...Were they even excommunicated? Was that ever explicitly mentioned?

No, that was invented by the show.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »
I recall something about them being outcasts though in the games because of their magical supernatural abilities, like, iirc, the church calling out to them for help in CV3 was like, last ditch begrudging  effort or something. Actually, not excommunicated- but werent they exiles?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2020, 06:13:34 PM »
I recall something about them being outcasts though in the games because of their magical supernatural abilities, like, iirc, the church calling out to them for help in CV3 was like, last ditch begrudging  effort or something. Actually, not excommunicated- but werent they exiles?

Last time I checked, that was the case.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Hayoam

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
I'm like Dracula I appear every 1.00 year(S)

I understand some people hate Christianity and it's fine freewill is a thing.
Now some people here got offended by thought of Christianity being good notably Gaawa-Chan, if you hate Christianity that much then why are you playing Castlevania when the series praises Christianity so much to the point where almost all main Characters are Holy Blessed by the Cross.

Now I'm not saying you should be Christian to enjoy Castlevania, you could be whatever Muslim Buddhist Atheist it doesn't matter you just have to approach the series with an open mind if the game says Christianity is good within the lore then it is, it doesn't matter what you think of it in real life as it's just a game.

Offcourse Christianity isn't perfect nothing is actually however there is something in the past of Humans people tend to ignore Which is people back then are highly intolerant, say the wrong thing in any part of the world and you'll be getting your head chopped, they still are to a degree.

But Christianity always singled out for some arbitrary reasons as if it's the only one did bad things.

Finally why did I make this topic?

Like any fan of games manga comics or anything I want a faithful adaptation to the thing I love and this is way far off the mark, it's actually insulting.

The writer is going to be kicked because he abuse women and is a sexual predator.
Looks like the one criticizing Christianity isn't a Holy man himself and doesn't hold the moral high ground anymore.

All he did was butcher my beloved Castlevania, sigh.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 06:02:49 PM »
I was hoping that we’d see more devout Christians who were ernest to do the right thing to balance out the Christians who did terrible things in the show.  What we got in season 3 instead was the figure of the judge, an apparently irreligious figure, who was still deeply flawed.  It seemed as if he was being propped up as a sensible man who won’t follow the nonsense of the religious fanatics and was thus a great ally to our heros.  But then his true nature was revealed.  It then seemed that the message was that it wasn’t necessarily religious blindness that caused some people to be terrible, but something from human nature instead.  I felt that at least still balanced the apparant bias a bit.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:17:04 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 08:12:29 PM »
All he did was butcher my beloved Castlevania, sigh.

I feel like you're giving that shitstain far too much credit.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 07:43:47 AM »
It’s probably an exaggeration to say Warren Ellis has butchered Castlevania but millions of people who may have never heard of Castlevania before now recognize it as a vampire show filled with edgy atheism, explicit sex, and crass humor. I'm just hoping konami has no plans of transferring any of these things to future games.

In case it's gone unnoticed Warren Ellis' line about a certain important Christian seems to be copied almost word for word from a book called “the darkening age”. It doesn’t get more obvious that you have an ant-christian agenda than inserting anti -christian literature almost verbatim into your show.

I would also like to add that the line about driving sinners into traps refers to a homily by St John Chrysostom. In which he complains about how sinful he finds the games and theatre and implores his listeners to bar anyone who attends them from church, not talk to them, and not let them enter their homes. He compares this strategy to a hunter who chases his prey not from one side but by all sides. Warren Ellis intentionally uses this in a way that makes it appear more sinister than it really is.

This actually demonstrates how shallow Warren Ellis’s writing is. It’s very likely that he never even read the original homily and just copied the phrase from “The Darkening Age” changing a few words like a high school kid copying a text for their essay.

For comparison:

The darkening age:
As one influential Christian speaker put it, his congregation should hunt down sinners and drive them into the way of salvation as relentlessly as a hunter pursues his prey into nets.

Warren Ellis:
And one important Christian was heard to say, that the people should hunt down sinners and drive them into salvation as a hunter drives its prey into traps.

And from the books index you can see that homily is called Against the Games and Theatres.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:33:00 PM by C Belmont »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 08:00:33 AM »
Who doesn't love some obvious anti-christianity propaganda?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Tags:

anything