Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How do you make a Platform game genuinely scary?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Thy Gory Rory

• Hunter in Training
  • ...I'm holding my sausage hostage!
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: How do you make a Platform game genuinely scary?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »
The original Splatterhouse games were kinda creepy. Not necessarily platform games but still 2D side-scrolling. Grotesque monsters, genuinely eerie music, lots of tension build-up around freaky boss battles and some startling moments here n' there... The environments were dark, dingy and gory too. That series is practically/partially credited for helping form the survival horror genre that we know it so it's a good idea to check them out. 8)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 06:51:20 AM »
Another good game which is a platformer, that has a really good atmosphere and music is Nosferatu for the SNES. I did jump at parts of the game, but that was only during sections where the enemies were hidden in the roof and they just appear out of the blue and grab you.

I always wanted to play that game, but I've never gotten a chance to.

Splatterhouse has great atmosphere, yes.
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »
I always wanted to play that game, but I've never gotten a chance to.

I don't own the game either so I just emulate it. PS. In order to get by areas that require sliding you first need to run then hit the attack button  :) This left me stuck for so long before I finally figured it out.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »
Thanks! That'll help.
"Stuff and things."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
Splatterhouse.
'nuff said
The NES one was corny, but the Genesis ones were creepy.

Aliens (kinda creepy)

Or take the route Enemy Zero (a 3D FPS on the Saturn) took and make all the enemies invisible. After the first enemy encounter, I threw down the controller and never went back. I do NOT like having my brains splattered by unseen aliens!

Ooh or Tecmo Knight. It was a beat'em up like Splatterhouse and almost as gory. Oh god, I remember the game's intro and game over screens so vividly...  :-X
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:53:27 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 10:55:35 PM »

Clock Tower does the scary moments great especially with scissor man.

The first time I have ever seen Clock tower was on Gamecenter CX the hell was that big ass thing in the cave which you needed the black robe and the blonde woman and that one guy behind bars that eats you in one of the endings what the Freak...
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags: