Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Game Theory: Why Video Game Movies SUCK!  (Read 6649 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »
+1

hahahahaha!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Game Theory: Why Video Game Movies SUCK!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 01:10:45 AM »
To be honest I'd rather watch Legend of Chun Li and Silent Hill Revelations than I would Game Theory.  :-X

It's honestly kind of surprising people are STILL talking about this like it's a new thing. Most games (especially RPGs and long-campaign games) simply have too much content for the filmmakers to condense...or at least, WANT to condense, since Jackson's Tolkien films turned out pretty damned good.

It's more often the writers just not knowing or giving a shit about the source material, i.e. the goddamn Silent Hill movies. It'd make more sense to turn those longer games or series into TV episodes or miniseries than a film.

But game movies suck because the writers either suck at or just don't want to write something accurate to their respective plots or adapt an existing game story faithfully. It appears so far to have been a continuous attempt to try and cash in on brand recognition and loyalty to a given series and then wondering why the shoddily-written and completely inaccurate movie bombed at the box office.

Been that way since the wonderfully bad '93 Mario movie, don't know why people still act so surprised when a new two-hour turd gets churned out.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 10:39:55 AM »
Well to be fair the Super Mario Bros movie was the first attempt to make a game into a movie. And because it was the first no-one had any previous experiences prior to that so there was no wining, b***hing or complaining about it not being accurate. Pretty much the elements of the games were in the movie. They were just worked around into something that was different yet recognizable. The only things that were the same were the bob-ombs. Not sure why the people of that world would market those things when everyone feared them, lol. The fire power ability was also in the film however it was converted into rifles that shot out fireballs instead. I could go on with this but I think everyone here knows the comparisons already.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »
It's a bit unfair to give fans a hard time for bitching and whining about inaccuracies, don't you think?

There's a considerable difference in adapting silly or less-than-serious games stories like Mario and adapting ones that are deep/introspective/well-written/dark/thought-provoking/etc., a la the Silent Hills.

The reason the fans bitch is because they love the series they're attached to and would like to see some effort made into a decent film. The Silent Hill movies (yes I know I keep coming back to them, they're a prime example) would still get some heat if they had actually been good but still weren't straight conversions of the games; but at least they would be good. I honestly don't care so much how accurate or faithful a given adaptation is provided the thing is good, with accuracy being a nice perk.

The Mario Bros. movie might have been awful but at least it's the hilarious kind of awful. How many other game movies are out there that can be watched without cringing at just how fucking terrible they are?

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 08:42:22 PM »
Resident Evil movies weren't bad (the ones that WEREN'T cgi).
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:00:23 PM »
Yes, they were. They decided they liked the OH GAWSH BIG BAD WESKER AND HIS BAD BAD COMPANY route and beat the dead horse as much as they could, until they were just churning out Underworld-levels of barely-plot-lots-of-action B-movies that barely had anything to do with the franchise name anymore.

Like shit guys give us Leon in Spain or Ada adventures, something OTHER than Milia shooting shit for an hour and a half.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 12:25:26 AM »
Yes, they were. They decided they liked the OH GAWSH BIG BAD WESKER AND HIS BAD BAD COMPANY route and beat the dead horse as much as they could, until they were just churning out Underworld-levels of barely-plot-lots-of-action B-movies that barely had anything to do with the franchise name anymore.

Like shit guys give us Leon in Spain or Ada adventures, something OTHER than Milia shooting shit for an hour and a half.

I thought the first one was pretty good for what it was, and Apocalypse was okay. After that, Extinction was bad, Afterlife was terrible, and Retribution was just downright abysmal. It's gotten to the point where the Resident Evil movies just seem like a really bad fan fiction, like the ending to Retribution being

(click to show/hide)

I mean, come on. Really? How hard is it to adapt RESIDENT EVIL of all things?

It's a big reason why I'm worried about the likes of Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear, what with their extremely complex plots.

Also, I think a good game-to-film adaptation was Prince of Persia. I really liked that one.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 12:46:41 AM »
... something OTHER than Milia shooting shit for an hour and a half.

FYI, Milla Jovovich's husband is Paul W. S. Anderson. Tada~! (Insert fanfare)

Prince of Persia was nice.
Ass Creed has gone through so many rewrites based on the rumor mill, I don't know what happens when it comes out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Do we really need a Metal Gear movie? The cut scenes were essentially movies, right?  ;)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 01:27:11 AM »
Do we really need a Metal Gear movie?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Metal Gear movie based on the original MSX Metal Gear game. And it could be done in that retro 80's action aspect since the game came out in that era. But the story of the game itself takes place in 1995 so it would be a mid-90's tale with some classic retro 80's action.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 08:22:53 AM »
Yeah, I liked the Prince of Persia movie as well.  The don't recall if there were any plots from the game brought into the movie though.  I've only played Sands of Time, and that was awhile before I saw the movie, but it seemed to have its own story which I think made it better.

It would be nice though if more time was spent on a game-to-movie adaptation.  I felt like that was Matt's main point, that there wasn't enough time/effort put into making the films, although his point about the immersive experience of games as compared to movies made sense too.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »
Yeah, I liked the Prince of Persia movie as well.  The don't recall if there were any plots from the game brought into the movie though.  I've only played Sands of Time, and that was awhile before I saw the movie, but it seemed to have its own story which I think made it better.

The movie was pretty much the game, but more in-depth, surprisingly.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 05:21:41 AM »
I didn't care for Price of Persia. It had good actors but the casting just seemed wrong. The movie itself was also just sort of bland.

I can't really think of any good love action video game movies.

Anime is another story though.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 05:39:20 PM »
I didn't care for Price of Persia. It had good actors but the casting just seemed wrong. The movie itself was also just sort of bland.

Does it mostly have to do with casting the white Jake Gyllenhaal as the Prince of Persia? :P

I didn't really care about the casting of different ethnicities as the characters. I mean, hell, the voice actor for the Prince in Sands of Time, Two Thrones, and Forgotten Sands is an American actor using a British accent. lol

To each their own, though.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »
I wouldn't say it was the ethnicities so much. But it was specifically Gyllenhaal and Kingsley I had in mind.

They just seemed out of their element and not right.

On top of that the movie was just par in my opinion. Don't get me wrong though. It was worth the $1.19 it costed me from redbox. It wasn't terrible. I just didn't get any more enjoyment out of it than a typical video game into live action flick.

Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil are the only ones that have ever drawn me into the theater.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »
Idk I still have a little hope for VG movies. I recall seeing the Mario Bros movie in theaters as a kid and even as a kid I knew something was up. I personally think that a live action Mario could be done but after the first attempt I don't think it will be done.

Tags: