Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So aside from Castlevania  (Read 6579 times)

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: October 21, 2021, 10:51:47 PM »
What other videogame series and franchises have your attention?

Resident Evil is my second favorite big name series. Metal Gear and Silent Hill are close behind, followed by Metroid, Tales (I haven't played every single game but I definitely enjoy them more than Final Fantasy), Ninja Gaiden, Far Cry, and most recently Ys. I'll always have a soft for Command & Conquer and the Ages RTS games too.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 10:37:05 AM »
Too many games to name off the top of my head. I did try one of the games from the Tales series (Tales of Berseria). It was the only one I played and finished cause it interested me enough to try. However more then halfway through I started feeling bored with it and that was due to the combat system. I feel the game would benefit more from real time combat (Ys style) rather then wandering around till you impacted with a monster, entered the combat mode and fought. Traditional RPG game combat just doesn't really work for full-on 3D games it just slows everything down, and not in a good way. I also felt that this was a problem with the Valkyrie Profile games (the first 2, and more specifically, the second game as it is 3D). The more recent Dragon Quest games also do this as well, however with those titles it doesn't seem as bad as the aforementioned.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 07:03:42 PM »
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 was really good after getting used to its own quirk. Inti Creates on its own CAN make decent 2D game which almost rivals the stuff of Mega Man X4. The Luminous Avenger iX2 spinoff also looks promising, but price tag is a bit too high, I guess I'll skip its initial launch and purchase if it got a discount someday.
Also I wish Inti Creates to collab with IGA once more. Some goodies were unfortunately been neutralized by the 8-bit-like overall style in Curse of the Moon series.

And thanks to Touhou Luna Nights I had a huge truck of marathon reseach of Touhou Project and its offsprings. I was shocked that a next finalized game with Touhou + Metroidvania hybrid playstyle is still yet to surface.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 07:08:04 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 04:21:16 PM »
Top franchises for me (not in order):

- Castlevania
- Zelda
- Final Fantasy
- Metroid

There’s no clear 5th, because there’s too many random awesome games, some of which are one hit wonders..
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:19:27 PM »
A lot. If I had to cut it down to a top 5, it would probably be the Souls series, Streets of Rage, Doom, Resident Evil, and Nioh.

Other than that, I've always been a big fan of Ninja Gaiden (both old and new), Contra, Double Dragon, Legend of Zelda, Metroid (only the 2D ones, though), Wolfenstein, and Mega Man X.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »
Bubble Bobble series
Parodius series
Twinbee series
Pac-Man games, most of them anyway
Gradius series
Puyo Puyo up to the fourth game

Loads of others too.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 08:15:04 AM »
A lot. If I had to cut it down to a top 5, it would probably be the Souls series, Streets of Rage, Doom, Resident Evil, and Nioh.

Other than that, I've always been a big fan of Ninja Gaiden (both old and new), Contra, Double Dragon, Legend of Zelda, Metroid (only the 2D ones, though), Wolfenstein, and Mega Man X.

We could have the same list if you swap Streets of Rage for Half-Life.

The only games I've actually joined communities for have been CV, Metroid, and Mega Man.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 10:46:10 PM »
Yakuza is my second favorite series after Castlevania, but I like lots of others. Silent Hill, Metroid, Contra, Donkey Kong Country, Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Thief (mostly just the first two), No More Heroes and killer7, DOOM and the first Quake, Resident Evil, and on and on.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 10:47:42 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Online VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 05:31:08 AM »
Back in the day, I always considered Castlevania and Metal Gear to be my favorite franchises, but it’s harder to say that now since they are both dead.

A more modern franchise that I’m really into at the moment is Divinity Original Sin. These games are quickly climbing my list of all time favorite games. I can say these have the best battle system I’ve seen in any rpg, and it pairs up brilliantly with the really dense map design packed with so much variation between encounters. I feel like there’s endless room for trying different strategies for every encounter. Brilliant games.

I also missed out on Sonic in its heyday, but I’ve recently become a fan. I had the Genesis Sonic games via Sega Channel back as a kid, but the games wouldn’t click with me and I spent most of my time playing Shining Force 2 anyways. But recently I’ve played though Sonic Mania, Generations, 1, 2, and 3. All great games.

Also playing Megaman Zero, and of course before that I was really into the original series and the X series. I really like the Zero games but a constant bother is the small screen dimensions paired with huge hero and boss sprites- most boss battles feel overly cramped. Really solid games regardless.

Could go on forever but these are the games I’ve been playing more recently.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 09:48:26 AM »
But recently I’ve played though Sonic Mania, Generations, 1, 2, and 3. All great games.

Play the Death Egg trilogy when you get the chance (Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles). I found these titles the best the series had to offer back in the day.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 12:19:00 AM »
We could have the same list if you swap Streets of Rage for Half-Life.

Nice. That's pretty awesome!
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 09:48:37 AM »
I am a massive Mega Man fan. You name it, I've played it, barring some more obscure side titles. I've certainly not played Mega Man Soccer, or the Tiger Electronics games. But any mainline and side game, and I've played it, and might even own it in some capacity.

God I love Mega Man.

Arguably, And forgive me for saying such heresies on a Castlevania board, but I am a Mega Man fan before a Castlevania fan. Mega Man is my #1
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 05:39:35 AM »
Doom goes too deep, Guess I gotta plug Project S.I.D.E., It's basically if Classic Doom was released today as an alternate universe throwback shooter.
Megaman is one of the first games I played on console that captivates my youth, it started with Megaman 6 and the rest is history.
Phantasy Star Online is something truly special, when PSO2 released I played a bit on JP and when NA released, it explains where I've been this whole time.
Sonic the Hedgehog, No shame, any Sonic fan would say they've been "there" and back, good times.
Devil May Cry. DMC3 and the rest was history, wish I got the SE but spontaneous Birthday gift is what it is.
Ys, The love of these games came from listening to midi's, when the time came to finally play them HOLY SHIT.
Guilty Gear. Single-handedly the most well-crafted fighting game series in every single aspect.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »
I'm sure there are several but the series, besides Castlevania, I enjoy are:

Fire Emblem and MGS.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 02:34:34 AM »
On my second play through of Metroid Dread (Hard mode with sequence breaks) and really liking it tbh. Might even do a 3rd play through to try getting a p/b.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD