Poll

What is your opinion of Konami?

I strongly approve!  :-D
I approve.  :-)
I disapprove.  :-(
I strongly disapprove.  >:-(
I don't know.  My mind was recently violated by a Dark Priest.  :-S

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami's Approval Rating  (Read 94369 times)

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »
Topic.

Yes, I know, I know...  Lots of topics about LoS, E3, 25th, Anniversary, and such already.  My last poll took surveyed various Castlevania complaints, but what I'm wondering now is this --just how strongly do the complaints influence your opinion of Konami overall?  They do make more games besides Castlevania.  Maybe you enjoy Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Zone of Enders, etc --or maybe Castlevania is all you really care about...

As always comments welcome.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »
Was never a big fan of Silent Hill, it was pretty awesome when it first came out but I drifted away. I never played or cared for Zone of Enders. MGS is pretty damn awesome, but it seems like they're riding it too much. As such,... I'm not much on approving them with their steps in it. It might be good but iunno, it feels stretched. Contra has been awesome for a while, though I've slacked in playing it. Last one I played was Shattered Soldier I believe for ps2, and that was great! Too bad lots of people thought differently. I hope they pick it back up and on a console or PC, not handheld.

And CV... they've really been on teh bad end for me with these games.. LoS sounded and looked great but when played it was a bit better than decent, and it failed the hype imo. Pretty good game, but I enjoy the older stuff more. Overall, I disapprove... not strongly but still disapprove.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »
I've always found Konami to be one company that I am constantly satisfied with. Aside from  Castlevania, I've always been fond of many of their games. Metal Gear, Gradius, Twinbee, Contra and I'm sure more I can't think of, I've always been generally happy with the attempts at each game they do. For awhile I wasn't too happy with some of the contra games but they fixed with 4 and I'm looking forward to their new game. I've never really got into ZoE and silent hill but I really enjoy what I've played of those too. So maybe I'll give those some play time soon.

like every company sometimes their games fall short, But I feel like it's not too often and i always seem come back to a konami title with very few dislikes.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »
Konami is/was my favorite video game publisher. It has made so many of my favorite games and I'm pretty sure the majority of my games are from them. I think what's it doing wrong nowadays is what many Japanese VG companies are doing: handing out their series to western developers.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:54:02 PM by A-Yty »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »
needs the "My mind was recently violated by Konami" option.

otherwise, meh. All I ever care about Konami for is Castlevania and maybe one or two other things I cant remember now.

Im more or less satisfied with their Castlevania up till now. We all complain about IGA's games, but they are still fun to play.

I loved LoS and im eager to see where it goes, but at the same time, Im eager to see the Classic Castlevania timeline get a game on the same level as Lords for once.

All im REALLY disappointed with is that they are completely bypassing the 25th anniversary without so much as a word. Instead simply DLC for an already released game that had nothing to do with any anniversaries, and a release of an experimental game that again, has nothing to do with anything, to the PS3. And neither of those are even meant as anniversary fodder either. just happy coincidence with the timing of their release.

I mean, Jesus, give us SOMETHING. Considering LoS did so well, actually makes it even MORE surprising that they would ignore the 25th anniversary of the franchise it belongs to.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:56:25 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »
needs the "My mind was recently violated by Konami" option.

I almost fixed that, but I decided it would be better to leave it alone.
Best not to misrepresent the opinions of the two who've already chosen that option.

Offline 赤月

• 血月下の薄夢華
  • Vampire Hunter
  • A cesspit of hatred and lies! Wait, what?
    • Awards
Re: Konami's Approval Rating
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:04:22 PM »
My Mind Was Recently Violated By A Dark Priest.

I am okay with Komani as a company, but Castlevania wise, it's disappointing.
I am one of very few that still support IGA till this day. I enjoyed all the CV games he's produced and directed, even Harmony of Despair and Judgement. I don't mind his recycling of stages and sprites at all. An then now, it's all Lords of Shadow for Castlevania, and the game wasn't even supposed to be Castlevania in the first place.

Konami, I miss Ayami Kojima, Michiru Yamane, and most of all, IGA.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »

All im REALLY disappointed with is that they are completely bypassing the 25th anniversary without so much as a word. Instead simply DLC for an already released game that had nothing to do with any anniversaries, and a release of an experimental game that again, has nothing to do with anything, to the PS3. And neither of those are even meant as anniversary fodder either. just happy coincidence with the timing of their release.

This is my current gripe with them. I liked Lords of Shadow, and although I'm still unsure of how Castlevania-esque it is, it was fun, and I hope to see the storyline to its conclusion.

Castlevania is about the only Konami series I'm a diehard fan of. I still buy every Metal Gear game that comes out, but Hideo Kojima's tendency for overindulgence and other quirks are wearing thin. Kind of a love/hate relationship with the series, since the games are still fun to play, and I like to see where the story goes, no matter how insane it becomes.

Contra has always been a favorite of mine, but still doesn't measure up to CV in holding my interest overall. (Though I will say that Contra 4 was one of the finest games I've ever played.) I liked Silent Hill 2, but haven't played any of the other games yet, so meh. Gradius III is one of my favorite SNES games, but like SH, I just haven't tried many other Gradius games (and I suck at most shmups anyway).

Overall, they've put out some great games from some good series, but I don't think their name carries as much weight as it did in the 80s and 90s. In a way I kind of considered them the yin to Capcom's yang back then, but not anymore. I think they should consider themselves lucky that they can still persuade Kojima to keep making Metal Gear games.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:09:23 PM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:08:15 AM »
The only cool looking game they're making right now is NeverDead. Silent Hill Downpour has producers who keep using the word "immersion" in spite of the game having button icons for fucking everything, Lords of Shadow was derivative of everything but Castlevania, Gradius is on life support via tits and moe (see Otomedius), Metal Gear Solid is the only series they seem to give a rat's ass about, and they murdered Hudson for no reason at all.

Yeah, I disapprove.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 06:23:45 AM »
Yeah, they pamper MGS.

Which is silly, since MGS4 was the last worthwile game of the series and even that was just for the story (which it sadly kind of destroyed).  I like Raiden and all, but another game is completely unnecessary. Hideo "This is my last MGS" Kojima is not stupid, so he'll milk the whole thing dry. The 3D remakes of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are inevitable, mark my words.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »
+1
and the game wasn't even supposed to be Castlevania in the first place.
Yes it was.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:17:23 AM »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:21:05 AM »
I'm just correcting him. Nothing more. people say that as a way to dismiss LoS because they dont like it, but it is incorrect and untrue. And rather bothers me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:27:33 AM by Flame »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:36:56 AM »
Cox has said both stories; yes it was Castlevania, and no it was an original IP. Who knows which is true?

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 07:53:19 AM »
It was originally Castlevania. it was changed to not upstage Judgement.
then it was changed back.

Well, if we don't know, then we shouldn't go saying that "it wasn't supposed to be Castlevania".

Tags:

anything