Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anyone got any comic/manga/manwha/graphic novel/etc. suggestions?  (Read 11408 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I've recently been able to start affording my own comics and whatnot, and I'm really looking to build up a decent collection of them. Most of what I own is DC Comics stuff, since I have no idea where to start with Marvel comics, and I'm not all that familiar with comics outside of those two companies. So suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm mostly an action comic reader, but I've got a couple that are outside that genre that I really enjoy, too.

So yeah. Any suggestions?

Here's a list of the ones I own so that people don't suggest them:
(click to show/hide)
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Anyone got any comic/manga/manwha/graphic novel/etc. suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 07:07:28 PM »
I've been collecting Wolverine Comics since I was a kid.
If you like grittiness, action, and slightly darker stories I would try Wolverine, by which I mean the series that bled into the 90's. (I'm not 100% sure when #1 was released?)
The older 90's Xmen comics I also really like. Uncanny Xmen isn't bad, just a slightly different series.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
The hard part about Marvel comics is that I have no idea where to begin from. Like, what's a good starting point with Wolverine? I'll obviously need prior knowledge no matter where I enter, but where would be the easiest place to enter from?

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:19:20 PM »
Owaari no Seraph / Seraph of the End.  It's a fabulus manga and anime that I'm currently watching season 2 of teh anime of it, as it's being released.  It's stunning.  It has some of the most stunning soundtrack music I've ever heard in a series, and the animation style is breathbreaking at times, with some backgrounds loking alnost like watercolour paintings. 

It's essentially about a war between vampires and humans after a catasophic virus killed most of the world's population of adults above the age of 13.  I won't spoil any more of it.

Also higly recommend Pat Mills' Requiem Vampire Knight / Requiem Chevalier Vampire, drawn by Oliver Ledroit  It's sick, twisted, and utterly beautifully drawn.  It's not for kiddies, that's for certain.  Seriously.  The lead, Requiem, was a Nazi soldier in love with a Jewish woman before he died and foundhimself in a hell world called Resurrection in which everything is teh reverse of on Earth. Resurrection is ruled over by Dracula.  The more evil you were in life, the higher level sort of monster/undead you come back as, with vampires being the top of the lot.  It's very dark, very funny at times, and stunningly illustrated.  Some of you guys will also get some nice eye candy with some of the female vampiresses.

Some images: http://www.comicvine.com/requiem/4005-58679/images/.

Also highly recommend Nebezial's Death Vigil.  He kindly uploaded pdfs of the full thing so far (issues 1-8) on his dA page: http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/death-vigil-1-full-issue-cuz-it-s-a-good-day-496921638.  Bernie is a kick-ass female Grim Reaper in the same leagues as Susan Sto Helit from Discworld, and Death of the Endless from Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »
Owaari no Seraph / Seraph of the End.  It's a fabulus manga and anime that I'm currently watching season 2 of teh anime of it, as it's being released.  It's stunning.  It has some of the most stunning soundtrack music I've ever heard in a series, and the animation style is breathbreaking at times, with some backgrounds loking alnost like watercolour paintings. 

It's essentially about a war between vampires and humans after a catasophic virus killed most of the world's population of adults above the age of 13.  I won't spoil any more of it.

Yeah, I've been watching the anime with my sister. I quite like it. Not too enticed about grabbing the manga, though, if it follows the same story.

Also higly recommend Pat Mills' Requiem Vampire Knight / Requiem Chevalier Vampire, drawn by Oliver Ledroit  It's sick, twisted, and utterly beautifully drawn.  It's not for kiddies, that's for certain.  Seriously.  The lead, Requiem, was a Nazi soldier in love with a Jewish woman before he died and foundhimself in a hell world called Resurrection in which everything is teh reverse of on Earth. Resurrection is ruled over by Dracula.  The more evil you were in life, the higher level sort of monster/undead you come back as, with vampires being the top of the lot.  It's very dark, very funny at times, and stunningly illustrated.  Some of you guys will also get some nice eye candy with some of the female vampiresses.

I'm digging the art style of this. It gives me some heavy Legacy of Kain vibes. I'll look into it.

As for Death Vigil, seems interesting enough. Even though there are digital free versions, I'll probably grab the print version since I like reading hard copies more.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 08:49:19 PM »
If you don't mind the ecchi harem trope, Rosario+Vampire has been a favorite of mine for a while now. Starts off on the generic side, but gets pretty good later on. Plus there are Castlevania references out the ass (Simon and the VK even make direct cameos).

Also, Hellsing, and Hellstorm if you can find them.

As far as where to begin with Wolverine, that's a tough call, because of just how extensive his story is. A good starting place would be Wolverine: Origin, then Wolverine: Weapon X, then his actual *first* appearances in Uncanny X-Men and one of the Hulk comics, and then the Wolverine Limited miniseries. These'll give you a solid introduction to the character, and from these you'll be able to move at your own pace and comic choice (within reason, of course, going straight to his later comics from these would be a bad idea) with a good foundation of the character and his origins.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »
If you don't mind the ecchi harem trope, Rosario+Vampire has been a favorite of mine for a while now. Starts off on the generic side, but gets pretty good later on. Plus there are Castlevania references out the ass (Simon and the VK even make direct cameos).

Also, Hellsing, and Hellstorm if you can find them.

As far as where to begin with Wolverine, that's a tough call, because of just how extensive his story is. A good starting place would be Wolverine: Origin, then Wolverine: Weapon X, then his actual *first* appearances in Uncanny X-Men and one of the Hulk comics, and then the Wolverine Limited miniseries. These'll give you a solid introduction to the character, and from these you'll be able to move at your own pace and comic choice (within reason, of course, going straight to his later comics from these would be a bad idea) with a good foundation of the character and his origins.

I've already read through a bit of the first season of Rosario+Vampire. It gets pretty cool once ghouls enter the scene. The art got fantastic in season 2, though, and I really wanna read those. It's been a really long time since I've read any of it, though, but I'm willing to restart. (PS: Anyone else think the anime is pretty garbage?)

Strangely, I've never read or watched anything of Hellsing. That might be worth looking into.

For clarification, on Hellstorm, you're referring to Daimon Hellstrom/Son of Satan, right?

Wolverine: Origin seems pretty interesting enough to start off with. It seems pretty affordable, though it's a bit of a shame Amazon doesn't have a paperback version of the first book (I don't like reading hardcover, seems harder to keep it in good condition while reading it). Old Man Logan always sounded like a really cool story, is that worth looking into?

As for Marvel, as long as Rob Liefeld's name isn't on it, we're golden.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 10:10:33 PM »
The hard part about Marvel comics is that I have no idea where to begin from. Like, what's a good starting point with Wolverine? I'll obviously need prior knowledge no matter where I enter, but where would be the easiest place to enter from?

Maybe try a shorter series eg Frank Miller's Wolverine. I bought the original series a while back and I believe it's 4 volumes in total. It was released parallel to the main series which I was referring to.

As for starting with the main series I believe around V40-50 Wolverine goes into the savage land, I always found this saga immersive and incredibly atmospheric. Plus the volumes won't be as tough to get ahold of as those preceding it.

If you google Wolverine comics and Sauron/ Savage land you should be able to get it down to within a couple of volumes. That's if you like the slightly darker stories and such.

Randomly on the topic of manga/manhwa What sort of series do you usually like?

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 11:50:35 PM »
Maybe try a shorter series eg Frank Miller's Wolverine. I bought the original series a while back and I believe it's 4 volumes in total. It was released parallel to the main series which I was referring to.

As for starting with the main series I believe around V40-50 Wolverine goes into the savage land, I always found this saga immersive and incredibly atmospheric. Plus the volumes won't be as tough to get ahold of as those preceding it.

If you google Wolverine comics and Sauron/ Savage land you should be able to get it down to within a couple of volumes. That's if you like the slightly darker stories and such.

Randomly on the topic of manga/manhwa What sort of series do you usually like?

Ooh, I wasn't aware Frank Miller did Wolverine comics. I love his work on Batman (even All-Star Batman and Robin) so I think I'll check those ones out.

As for manga/manhwa, I'm mostly into more action-y kinds. Stuff like Dragon Ball Z, Fist of the North Star, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are pretty much givens, but even lesser known ones like Rave Master or Raiders. I'm not into a lot of the more major manga titles like Bleach, Naruto, or One Piece, though (the first two because I legitimately don't like them, despite them having some cool characters and ideas. OP because I've never read/watched it and it's reeeeeeeeally long).

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 12:06:04 AM »
I know of a couple graphic novels that I personally liked. The first is Dark Wraith of Shannara by Terry brooks. It's the only novel of his series that is in graphic format, and graphic format alone as there is no novel adaption. The art was done by Edwin David and while it's anime, the style kinda stands out from the rest of the recent artistic genre. The other one is by Dynamite entertainment; The Complete Dracula. It's a graphic novel format of Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's not done in anime as is the other graphic novel I have printed by Puffin Graphics. But it is by far no less of a great read.

As for comics I would recommend Adam Warren's take on the Dirty Pair. I only have the updated relaunch of Sim Hell, however it was a good read for me. Adam's art style of the time it was first printed I find more likable then the stuff he's doing now. Marval comics' Maximum Carnage is also another one I rate highly, though the art style does change somewhat through out the book. But I guess it's because they were going through different artists at the time it was being serialized.

If you like any stories of the Lovecraftian realm then you also might want to check out Neonomicon by Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows. It's dark and gritty but in that H.P. Lovecraft way. There is also DC's The Death and Return of Superman saga. I only have two out of three books sadly~The Death of Superman, (I'm missing Superman Doomsday) and The Return of Superman.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 12:45:16 AM »
Berserk is a deep, magnificently illustrated manga, but it is very long running (34+ volumes) and looks likely to never be finished. For something more light Hellsing is a very fun take on the Dracula myth set in the year 1999. It's self-contained within 10 volumes which are very affordable now. But it is over-the-top violent and many would find its more extreme exploitation content offensive. Both series are printed in English by Dark Horse.

For western comics Usagi Yojimbo is a great action series set in feudal Japan, most of the characters just happen to be anthropomorphic animals. You might recognize the main character since he crossed over with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles a few times. (The creators are/were friends.) Dark Horse is currently doing massive and very affordable reprints of the bulk of Usagi's still-going 25 year+ run.

If you want something completely different DH is also doing big reprints of the looooong running (1978 to 2015) ElfQuest fantasy series, which you can read almost all of for free on their official website if you want. http://elfquest.com/read/digitalEQ.html

PS- "The Long Halloween" is a terrific must-read for any fan of Gothic noir Batman.

PPS- If your local library participates in inter-library loan, that's a great way to try out new series/volumes before you buy.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:00:04 AM by Ratty »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »
I say read Berserk. Possibly the greatest story of all time. At least for me it's the best medieval story of all time.

If you like fighting/ action with weapons which is less techy and more swords try the manhwa Blade of Heaven. It's serious with humour, and I personally really like it.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 03:03:02 AM »
I've read a lot of Batman, but if I could recommend a Batman story that not a lot of people talk about, it would be The Cult...that one's pretty great. Very different. Just so much violent, creepy imagery...kind of feels out of place for a Batman story, but in a good way.

I just picked up my first Daredevil, it's called Father. Really liked it. I can see myself getting into Daredevil pretty easily if there are more like that one. Didn't quite know what to expect from it, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I also liked the original TMNT run...just started that a while ago, too.

It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 03:18:42 AM »
The only manga series that I'm faithfully following right now is Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler).
Don't watch the anime except for season 1, but even so, the manga is still way better.

Other suggestions:
Magic Knight Rayearth and RGVeda (I don't care much about CLAMP's later works)
Trinity Blood is also nice.

All of these are available on manga sites.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 04:25:03 AM »
Shiroi isn't Trinity Blood a sequel to another manga?