Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Lords of Shadow Sequel Ideas (spoilers...a lot of them)  (Read 73130 times)

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Lords of Shadow Sequel Ideas (spoilers...a lot of them)
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »
That was clearly a tongue-in-cheek statement, bro.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2010, 01:39:50 PM »
Did LoI and CoD have bats? I don't remember, but I thought the way the bats were used as part of the scenery in Lords was pretty well done, since bats and medusa heads in CV64 were really clunky. Getting rid of them in 3D was change that really had to be made, same with bone towers.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Akira

• Der Steppenwolf
  • Hunter in Training
  • iLurk
  • Awards The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Carpe Noctum
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
Did LoI and CoD have bats?

Yep, Lament had bats, and they used to fly/dash in flames against Leon if I remember correctly.

"A smaller force defeating a much larger army, that is the beauty of strategy"

[ deus . ex . machina ]

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
LoI had rhythmically placed candles and catchy music. And the platforming it had didn't make it seem like it was an entirely different game, even though the platforming was extremely awful and limited. It's more Castlevania in these regards. Of course, being more Castlevania doesn't make it a better game, and it really isn't all that Castlevania either.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »
Okay the ending KINDA bothers me.

Gabriel being dracula is a plus to me...It's a tragic story and makes sense.

However, the ending is in modern times...Wtf?....So what happened since lords of shadow up till that point, it's like they said screw sequels lets just end the series all together.

Offline crystos

• chained in the lower levels of the cursed prison
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »
hmm sequel ideas umm... Julius. I demand the "1999 Julius giant war vania" Since the game ended in modern times.. we can just do the 1999 plot. that is all.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks the sequel to this game is going to NOT be related to the after credits ending?

They set up the beginning, they set up the end, and now they make the games in the middle that tie the end to the beginning. Cox's twitter posts HEAVILY alluding to the presence of both Alucard AND Simon kind of point in this direction. If anything, Zobek's line about how Gabriel "once was" Dracula isn't anymore points to the fact that Gabriel has been running around as Dracula for awhile before the after credits ending.

Also, it might just be me, but I never found the candles in Castlevania games to be anything more than place holders to fill up long walking segments or something to smash when you needed hearts. The rhythmical nature of it all is a just a testament to the original game designers ability to make walking down a hallway not boring. If a Castlevania game can provide ammo and subweapons in a less place holder way, then I congratulate them.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:21:58 PM by e105beta »

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
No, I totally agree with you on all points. It's getting pretty annoying seeing people act like the next game is going to undeniably follow the ending.

Hell, the whole point of the ending seemed to be to raise questions that will be explained in due time.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2010, 04:46:24 PM »
Quote from: Tobias
Yeah... Or they're working on it because it's planned for the OTHER two games they've got planned.

Two games? Where did you hear this?

Besides, if Gabriel kills Slogra before becoming Dracula how is Slogra supposed to exist to menace the Belmonts that enter the Castle in the years to come?

It's a video game, dude.

Offline Grim Fandango

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2010, 05:52:17 PM »
The only reason I think it's logical that a sequel follows up on the post-credit scene is one little word: money.  I have no idea how much this game cost to make, but I'd imagine it's in the neighborhood 0f 15 to 20 million dollars, and that's no small amount.  If the game sell well enough to warrant a sequel, which I hope it does, then the majority of the people who bought it, people with little to no prior connection to the series, will be expecting to play as Drac/Gabe in the present day, and it would be pretty silly to not give the people that.

As for what happens in the meantime, that's what dlc is for.

My own wishes for a sequel are pretty reasonable.  I'd like to see some new weapon upgrades, i.e. flame whip or something along those lines.  Item crashes would be nifty.  I liked the music in this game, but I'd want to see, or hear as it were, a few of the old standards brought back.  A higher framerate would also be nice.  I hope that Mercury Steam has enough sense to leave the old series where it is.  Little references, such as Gandolfi making the whip, or Olrox and Brauner, are great, but there is a reason why the series was in desperate need of a reboot.

Oh, and please, please, please, keep IGA away from the series from now on.  That would be just great.

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2010, 06:27:09 PM »
The only reason I think it's logical that a sequel follows up on the post-credit scene is one little word: money.  I have no idea how much this game cost to make, but I'd imagine it's in the neighborhood 0f 15 to 20 million dollars, and that's no small amount.  If the game sell well enough to warrant a sequel, which I hope it does, then the majority of the people who bought it, people with little to no prior connection to the series, will be expecting to play as Drac/Gabe in the present day, and it would be pretty silly to not give the people that.

As for what happens in the meantime, that's what dlc is for.

My own wishes for a sequel are pretty reasonable.  I'd like to see some new weapon upgrades, i.e. flame whip or something along those lines.  Item crashes would be nifty.  I liked the music in this game, but I'd want to see, or hear as it were, a few of the old standards brought back.  A higher framerate would also be nice.  I hope that Mercury Steam has enough sense to leave the old series where it is.  Little references, such as Gandolfi making the whip, or Olrox and Brauner, are great, but there is a reason why the series was in desperate need of a reboot.

Oh, and please, please, please, keep IGA away from the series from now on.  That would be just great.

I'm sure LoS will sell better than all the post SotN games combined lol and if they were willing to fund IGA (granted his games cost less) for as long as they did I see no problem with Konami continuing with MS and I doubt with the success of the MGS franchise that Knoami is hurting for money.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:34:21 PM by StriderKumori »

Offline Grim Fandango

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2010, 06:35:34 PM »
Idk if that makes all that much sense to me. If they wanted more money wouldn't they make more games. I'm sure LoS will sell better than PoR, OoE, and judgment combined lol

That's not what I'm saying.  Obviously, if the game is successful there will be sequels, but it makes absolutely no sense to assume that the new series would remain successful for any length of time, so it would be foolish not to build on the foundation they've already laid.  I think the next game, perhaps next two as games love to come in trilogies, would deal with Gabe/Drac, and later, if the series is still profitable, perhaps we'll see new heroes in games set in the past.  Besides, PoR, OoE, and Judgement didn't exactly light the world on fire with sales, so using them as a metric for success is kinda worthless.

The game will probably need close to a million copies sold to be greenlit for a sequel.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »
Well, the fact that Zobek wasn't all goodly and on Gabriel's side should have been quiet obvious by the end.  Not minding that Gabriel was been devoured by his anger, calling him the "Prince of Darkness" with pride, letting him do EVERYTHING by himself while watching from safety.
Not what I'm complaining about. That itself is fine.

As for Satan and Zobek, it was a bit strange, but again makes sense.  How could a mere necromancer cut Heaven off from the Earth after all.  Besides, it was foreshadowed several times in the game itself.
Also not what I'm complaining about. That also is fine, but less so.

The issue here is speed. The reveal was good for Zobek, but then literally two minutes later Satan shows up with the same plot device. Way too quick.

Besides, what is in a Castlevania game that wasn't in this one?  Lament of Innocence didn't have Dracula.  Does that mean it isn't Castlevania?  Simon's Quest didn't have the Castle.  Does that mean it isn't Castlevania.
Lament had Dracula, just not in the traditional sense. It worked out pretty well given the limited story interactions that were provided. Simon's Quest had a castle, just in ruins. It made sense given the story.

While Dracula isnt mandated, and shouldnt be mandated, for end boss in every single game he and his castle are the central theme of the series. Portrait would have been fine, if not better, without Dracula as the end boss, but more of a "oh shit we better not wake him up" plot device. Order of Ecclesia could have worked similarly. Prevent his revival by killing Barlowe. Though I'm glad I got to tackle Dracula and the castle in OoE because it was a great game and had a Dracula with a new pattern finally. Harmony was a nice balance here, where Dracula wasnt truly awakened, but sort of in a limbo state. This title also didn't necessarily needs Dracula at the end.

Now to tackle Ahasverus's crappy post.

READ THE FUCKING SCROLLS
I can read just fine. I suppose it could be a setup for later games, but not having the final badguy in the castle diminished its importance compared to the other games.

There's no Slogra because Dracula has not created it, is that simple. If we had fought ALL castlevania enemy then ot would have meant that Dracula actually didn't create anything himself but recycled every design of the Lords of Shadow.
That's cool except Dracula himself didn't create the majority of his minions. There is no reason we cant fight Slogera, and then in later games too, you know like the actual games.

Are you real musician? With musical formation? no? then STFU, I am and I must tell this soundtrack is wonderful, Yamane's tracks had only 3-4 chords progression with almost no variable dynamics, now, THAT's bland, don't think a catchy melody makes a good composition. Araujo's score is a RONDO-based composition, don't know why is it?, then you don't have the right to criticize this.
I don't have to be a musician to know the music was mostly boring, generic, and bland. All the fancy music terms in the world do not change that fact.

MercurySteam, Alvarez, Cox... you are my hero, you saved this saga from mediocrity and dumbness, congratulations and thank you a lot =D
Again with the supreme ass kissing. You never change.

That was easier than I thought.

High five to Harry and Nagumo.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:34:15 PM by uzo »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
Y'know what would be totally cool? If Cox made another Castlevania game that was totally unrelated to LoS, existing in it's OWN universal bubble, being yet ANOTHER take on the origin mythology. Y'know, just to mess with people. "Okay, I made Gabriel Dracula in Lords of Shadow. Next, let's do another one, but I'll make a character named Vladis, and I'll make HIM Dracula! It will be cool, because it will be it's OWN little thing!!". That would be AWESOME! ;D

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »
Haha that made me chuckle hahahahah. +1

Everything comes full circle

Tags: