Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania-Like Games which aren't on the Dungeon Page  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Castlevania-Like Games which aren't on the Dungeon Page
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:56:34 AM »
The page here has many castlevania-like games but IMO there are a lot more out there. I guess if you see that a game is like Castlevania in a good way post it here. I will put up my nomination for the Turbo Graphix/PC Engine game Legendary Axe.

The Legendary Axe - Zone 3A (Birthday Special)

Now if you even look at the way the main character moves, gets hit, etc. its very similar to how a Belmont moves except a bit faster. Even the stages have a nice dark and creepy atmosphere like a CV game.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Castlevania-Like Games which aren't on the Dungeon Page
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:48:34 AM »
The Legendary Axe 2 is even better. Imagine SCIV, but even more straight-up ominous. It's one of the darker 'barbarian-style' games I've played (shout out to Puwexil for letting me experience that magic~)

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:01:32 AM »
These come to mind.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
There was an NES game called Castle Of Dragon that was kinda cool back in the day. Had pretty good graphics for its time and the music was good.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 04:47:35 PM »
The Legendary Axe 2 is even better. Imagine SCIV, but even more straight-up ominous. It's one of the darker 'barbarian-style' games I've played (shout out to Puwexil for letting me experience that magic~)

Yeah I've been meaning to try that one. I believe its the one with the Egyptian Hero inside of the Pyramids who has a sword.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:08:07 PM »
Faxanadu
NES Longplay [266] Faxanadu

Its like Simon Quest, with  exploration, bosses that you can escape, slow text boxes and a ladder that gives you a animation similar to when climbing a rope in Gameboy CVs,  you can even get a shield. Also there is this music making you feel as if you were in a hopeless world. I've discovered it almost 8 or 9 years ago on my PSX, in a NES emulator collection disc, played it for some days and never went back, but its a cool game.

Since my english was pretty bad at the time I couldnt tell anything about the story, sorry.

edit: WTF! I've discovered its related to Ys!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:13:47 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »
Relative to SotN-themed games, can't forget Soul of Darkness for Mobile/DSiWare (for better or worse): http://www.gameloft.com/mobile-games/soul-of-darkness/

(click to show/hide)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 09:13:40 PM »
Touhouvania stage 1-2 (English) Cirno Meiling

nuff said we all know this and Reimu to me spells out new female belmont lead seriously konami make a character like her and we'll all be some happy folks. also dat music  :D
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline nokundhi

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
Touhouvania (2 especially, major improvement over the first) is probably my favorite castlevania-alike game. Awesome soundtrack, great art, unique blend of bullet hell and CV elements, it's a tragedy that there's no news for a 3rd game.

For fans of the metroidvanias, La Mulana is another great game that I'm sure has been mentioned before. Much harder than the metroidvanias as you can't grind your way to victory; all upgrades are found in a way similar to metroid. The healing system is also quite restrictive. The area designs and music are great, some places have like 32 layers or something absurd like that.

Bunny Must Die is a really great game with a boss that's suspiciously similar to a certain CV character http://youtu.be/WgEAzw0_hB4
Game is pretty difficult, but has a lot of potential for cool stuff thanks to the really neat parry system inspired by street fighter. You can glide across lava and spikes if you're skilled enough. Also, if you thought the 2nd castle of SOTN was cool, just wait until you see what you unlock at the end of this game.

Lastly, rosenkreuzstilette is game that combines many elements of classic games, primarily megaman but also ghosts n goblins and CV. The area designs in particular are very reminiscent of CV, and while they're fairly simple they're still gorgeous. http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/rks/sheet/28057/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »
I would love to give that Touhouvania english translation game a more in-depth playthrough. Unfortunately I could never find the complete game and other websites I did come across had the game in pieces that I needed to assemble on my own  :P. Long story short I couldn't do it and I've been searching for the complete (intact) game for a while now.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything