Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" Launches  (Read 43546 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" Launches
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
Its hilarious, a bunch of people really needing money in the world and they donate that amount for this?! The donator doesnt even asked for that much. Im disgusted. Thats one of these stories thats better doesnt know about, but now that I already read this the harm has already been made. Why they have thrown so many money away if she only asked for $6,000? I could even understand if she really needed that amount, but she doesnt. Also research about old games could be done totally for free, unless they are extremely obscure and not in english.

Well, she apparently used the extra money to extend the series from a 5 to a 13 episode one, and to create a college course curriculum.
You can see her take on it in her TEDtalk.
Anita Sarkeesian at TEDxWomen 2012

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
LET'S PLAY SOME BINGO!
Let's read this thread again, and see how many of these examples show up.  Maybe have a shot of your favorite booze for each time it comes up.
If you complete a line, congrats, this thread is full of male privilege! But don't fret, you'll be too drunk to give a shit.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
LET'S PLAY SOME BINGO!
Let's read this thread again, and see how many of these examples show up.  Maybe have a shot of your favorite booze for each time it comes up.
If you complete a line, congrats, this thread is full of male privilege! But don't fret, you'll be too drunk to give a shit.

(click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]

I'm taking a break from my political science and this is too much made me laugh which one am I, I wonder?

Hmm in the end I do not care I just wanna play awesome games  :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:21:11 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 09:26:33 PM »
That would make you either B2 or O5. ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 09:38:14 PM »
I, erm... Can I just sit there...way over there, in the nuclear bunker? :-X
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 09:39:55 PM »
Jorgey-sama, art thou a feminist? :(

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »
As I already said, the video really made me think. The damsel in distress plot in gaming was so overused it makes you think whether those plots actually make the wife / girlfriend appear like stolen property of the hero that he needs to recover, being the knight on white horse and all.

At least Symphony of the Night strays from the path with Maria coming to rescue Richter. Take that, feminists!  ;D

Also, this.

Female Armor Sucks

Minerva's armor is awesome

Fire emblem women are again beautiful and strong

That would make you either B2 or O5. ;)

I have never really thought about feminism in games or feminism at all.

But that g5 black/nerdy/girlfriendless is funny as well since I'm that as well just (minus the feelings and gay part)  :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:53:35 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »
Jim Sterling made his blog post about the first  "Tropes vs Women in Video Games" as a parody of "The Call of Cthulhu":
"A voice so horrifically unassuming. Arguments so disturbingly uncontroversial. This was a product of something cosmically beyond our pitiful grasp. We are as insects, facing the infinite. Please let me forget."
http://www.destructoid.com/the-call-of-sarkeesian-248138.phtml

Lol

I also generally agree with his earlier assessment of the controversy surrounding this series and Ms. Sarkeesian herself.
Jimquisition: Anita Sarkeesian - The Monster Gamers Created

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »
Quote from: Gunlord on Today at 12:39:55 AM
Jorgey-sama, art thou a feminist? :(

I am.

I guess it's not that I'm a feminist, but rather because I'm a hispanic straight male, I have felt my share of stereotypes and feel that we as a society should overcome these.  Hispanics may not get much until later but I can at least help by being outspoken about the gender issues in the media with regards to women and minorities.

The hispanics' time will not happen in the USA for some time.  We're still strawberry-picking brown people who are stealing jobs... at least to the more outspoken prejudicial people.

Basically, if you're a white male, you will generally have an easier mode in life than the other types of people/races.  And that should change.

PLEASE START YOUR LIFE.  PICK A CHARACTER.
GENDER/RACE/ORIENTATION:

Male/White/Straight = Easy Mode
Male/White/Gay = Normal Mode
Male/Minority/Straight = Normal Mode
Male/Minority/Gay = Hard Mode
Female/White/Straight = Normal Mode
Female/White/Gay = Hard Mode
Female/Minority/Straight = Hard Mode
Female/Minority/Gay = Viciously Hard Mode

...and this is not counting all the little nuances, like 'neighborhood/area', 'genre of sexuality (gay/lesbian/transexual/etc.).  This is a rather gross extreme oversimplification.  Please forgive me for it, but it's how I feel life is, generally.

Refusing to acknowledge that this is a problem and that, while it's nice to believe and strive for equality, the harsh reality is that we're not equal (at least not yet), leads to essentially turning a blind eye to the issue.  I hope to some day live in a world where there is more equality, but it's probably just a dream of mine.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 10:43:44 PM »
Hmm...well, I don't necessarily share your views, but I respect them for being well thought-out, Jorgey-dono. However, I will say that while social equality is not necessarily a zero-sum game, the many groups you mention are not necessarily allied either, and in some cases have competing interests. The "oppressive" group of white straight males at the top of the "kyriarchy" is not the only only one with negative stereotypes of the others. For instance, many lesbian "radical feminists" dislike transgendered people, particularly male to females, for not being truly female. There is a history of racial strife between different racial minorities; black-Hispanic relations have not always or invariably been positive, and within the Asian community there are fractions due to their history in Asia (Secret Asian Man did a very funny comic about this, but I can't find it right now, alas ;_; ).

Social equality may be an admirable goal--at least to you, which is understandable coming from your background. Still, keep in mind that others may not share your dream for equally valid reasons, and that it may have a price...one that might not be paid only by those at the top of the social pyramid.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
I hope to some day live in a world where there is more equality, but it's probably just a dream of mine.

Not so, just look at John Lenon's "Imagine". Equality is a dream that has resonated with millions, myself included. But you are a feminist insofar as you want equal rights and opportunities for women. Personally I think gender, race sexuality and religion are all distractions from and scapegoats for economic inequality which is the true source of most of the suffering you talk about. But it's only through open discussion that understanding and education can flow for our continued improvement as a species.

Social equality may be an admirable goal--at least to you, which is understandable coming from your background.

I have a hard time imagining someone who wasn't just trying to hold onto their own privilege to whom it wouldn't be an admirable goal.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:08:54 PM by Ratty »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »
someone who wasn't just trying to hold onto their own privilege

That would be every person on Earth, Ratty. We are all "privileged" in some way. A female minority lesbian is still better off than a female minority lesbian who's blind, who's still more "privileged" than a female minority lesbian who's blind and deaf, and so on, and so forth.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »
I don't... think that's what privilege is.

Privilege refers to the unearned advantages or rights granted to a group solely on the basis of them being that group, but usually denied to aren't, coupled with an ignorance/blind-eye to the existence of said advantages and denials.

I did say that my little chart was a gross oversimplification and even commented that there are many subcategories within, many of which may tweak the state of things.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 11:37:53 PM »
That would be every person on Earth, Ratty. We are all "privileged" in some way. A female minority lesbian is still better off than a female minority lesbian who's blind, who's still more "privileged" than a female minority lesbian who's blind and deaf, and so on, and so forth.

"Priviledged" in this context is not the same as an advantage or disadvantage based on something like birth defects (which are outside of human control) but an unfair advantage which is bestowed by society based on factors which have no direct bearing on a person's ability to do something more or less competently than someone else. And I suspect you understand this. Nobody is talking about a "Harrison Bergeron" scenario here*, but about fair and equal pay for equal work, equal respect and equal opportunities based on the merits of the individual rather than circumstances brought about by happenstance such as place of birth, race/sexuality/gender etc.

*Well I guess you are but none of the rest of us are.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:41:21 PM by Ratty »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 11:47:54 PM »
^What he said.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags: