Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Did someone cast Torpor?  (Read 6883 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« on: July 21, 2021, 03:30:19 PM »
Haven't seen things this dead in like ever.
It's like a veritable graveyard in here. Where's the ducks?
"Stuff and things."

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 04:23:09 PM »
+3
And so the story of the Forums' struggle against the lack of ANY kind of Castlevania related info begins. However, Castlevania and the Forums will not meet again for hundreds of years, the IP goes into hiding in foreign lands and continues to curse its fanbase for eternity. Eventually it names itself "Lord of the Pachinkos", "King of the cancelled Mobiles". The years before their next meeting pass slowly, and quietly, but with finality. The intermission in this exquisite play from which a forum and a dormant IP will never escape.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 07:40:12 PM »
Maybe we should buy some ads for the forum :P

I kid, but... how would anyone from the outside hear about the forum's existence anymore, aside from word-of-mouth? The Castlevania community isn't dead, and message boards are not a dying format.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 01:55:52 AM »
For the love of God, no ads!  :P

Reddit is technically a message board.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 05:02:54 PM »
+1
When the next iteration of the Netflix show comes out, and Symphony gets another re-re-re-release, then Castlevania discussion will revive once again.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 03:31:16 PM »
Just not a lot to talk about without games or media.

Just wait for the next Netflix season. There comes a point where all that has to be said is said about a franchise. I've seen it with Mega Man forums before too. Tons and tons of lore discussion, game discussion, both combined, etc. But you get a significant enough drought, and eventually chatter dies down.

To say nothing of the impact of things like 4chan, Reddit, and lately, Discord. Which absorb conversation and have been part of a larger discussion about the death of forums and fansites for a long time.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 11:03:48 PM »
Maybe I could write some new fanfics to keep it alive?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 09:48:48 AM »
Maybe I could write some new fanfics to keep it alive?

Will you include illustrations?

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 07:32:55 PM »
Forums are a relic of the earl 2000's internet. I remember when this place was really something to see. I'm talking dozens of posts a day. It's been a long dwindle, but people just prefer Facebook groups, reddit, and twitter these days. This place is almost like a museum.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »
+1
I honestly prefer museums over the whole social media mess that is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Museums like this have a refinement of sorts while the aforementioned social media sites are now a breeding ground of all that human garbage that's been making the rounds lately. Here, things are a lot more controlled and that is a good thing. No real luck with that on other media platforms, and if it is they are not doing a good enough job of it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 06:26:57 PM »
We only had Bloodstained, the Netflix show, and mobile games to keep the deeper vania community active here, so when a sequel to Bloodstained is a way's away, and the mobile vania front appears to be double dead, there's not much to talk about. We'll probably see the Richter Netflix arc before anything else, and we don't got much to go on with that either.

Offline nokundhi

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 07:41:03 AM »
There's not much to discuss about Castlevania proper other than yet another season of the series. Konami isn't doing much to keep the series relevant these days, which is why you're seeing this influx of indie games that scratch a similar itch like COTM for the classic titles and too many exploration platformers to count.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 09:11:32 AM »
+2
I joined these forums only a few years ago, long after Konami abandoned the series, but the reason I started posting here to begin with is because I use to frequent this site a lot as a kid. The turning point for me as a Castlevania fan was when I finally tried Super Castlevania IV for the first time. I loved that game so much I wanted to delve deep into the rest of the series, and this website was the best source of information. I wouldn't post here but I would occasionally lurk, and I do remember seeing how active the community was back in those days. I also remember how frequent page updates were, as new Castlevania games were coming out consistently. This site still remains my favorite source of information on the series, but like everyone has mentioned here, this place was so active because there was so much to look forward to and talk about back in those days.

The same thing happened to one of my other favorite fan sites, Shining Force Central. It was a thriving, active, website with a huge forum community, but pretty much everything went straight downhill as soon as Camelot stopped working with Sega and the Shining series morphed into something completely unrecognizable to the fans of the series. I consider Shining Force II to be my favorite game ever, so I frequented that community very often, and I have a lot of good memories of those times, but Shining Force as I knew it is long dead. I actually tried the demo for Shining Resonance on the Switch and all it did was remind me of how the Shining name has been repurposed to sell games that have zero relation in any way to the classic Shining games.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 06:37:41 AM »
I know how you feel, Vlad. Well, we're almost certain to get a boost of activity when the Netflix Rondo anime comes out, though I think it would require another CV game to really get this forum back up with as much activity as it used to have back in the glory days...

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 08:43:05 AM »
Thing is, a single game wont do much.
Mega Man 11 certainly didn't reinvigorate Mega man forums.

Forums like this are from an age when we got regular game content.

Between 1986 when the franchise started, and 2010 when Lords of Shadow came out, there was a new Castlevania game every single year

Same goes for Mega Man, which was even more prolific, peaking at 6 (read SIX) games coming out in 2003 and 2004 each

There's a reason forums like these were so chatty and active, it's because there was a TON to talk about, with a constant supply of fresh meat. A big release, like Lords of Shadow, will provide big discussion, especially since it was divisive and controversial, but once it's passed on, so does conversation.

You need that constant supply to get constant conversation, IMO.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags:

anything