Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Buying a DS just to play Order Of Ecclesia?  (Read 13000 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Buying a DS just to play Order Of Ecclesia?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
One thing that irked me about Harmony of Dissonance was the fact that there were no detailed enemy descriptions! There's even space for at least a couple lines of text in the beastiary! Why did they omit that? Also, the characters should've been fleshed out a bit more. I think there should've been 1 or 2 more side characters to make the story more interesting, perhaps a cleric that wants to kill Maxim for being "Dracula's vessel," thus Juste having to stop him from murdering his friend. Stuff like that. There was also some translation errors here & there (For instance, the "Bullet Tip" being mistranslated from "Christopher's Soul." Not important, but still. The game is full of throwbacks from classics & that Christopher nod would've been a nice addition). Also, several of the bosses were downright lame & lazy (MAX SLIMER).

Other than that, I love the game's aesthetic & graphics (despite some areas lacking a "cohesive" feel, but it was more chaotic and I accept that), and I believe it was the first or perhaps only Castlevania that I truly got "lost" in, as in didn't know where to go at certain points. Although frustrating at first, I liked that; a true sense of getting lost in Dracula's castle. Despite all being "metroidvanias," CotM HoD & AoS all have a unique atmosphere from one another.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »
Totally. They are very different.
Also, PoR and OoE and very different from the GBA games, and DoS is a mix between what was about to come and what came previously.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 06:18:51 PM »
I know what it's like to be a big fan of a game in the series that gets ragged on though, in my case it's "Legacy of Darkness" which I think gets put down a lot by people who've never played it, and I respect your opinion. As the old Latin axiom went De gustibus non est disputandum. "There is no disputing about tastes."

Huh? Oh, I really don't care. People can think whatever they want about whatever they want. That might sound disrespectful, but it's not meant to be taken that way.

I wasn't posting for the sake of any kind of debate or to counter anyone's opinion.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:21:55 PM by Successor The Cruel »

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 07:12:32 PM »
Fair enough certainly, I was mostly just trying to head off any disagreement or argument that might come from our strong differing opinions. As you say differing opinions/tastes in art aren't something that should be fought over.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:19:43 PM by Ratty »

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 02:51:15 AM »
Um... well, if people want to do that, then whatever, I guess. I do not think there are any rules as to what should and shouldn't be done for everyone on a subject like that. Some people like doing that, and when it's controlled and regulated well, it shouldn't harm anyone.

What my original point to Phil was that though I think OoE and AoS do certain things better than HoD, I do not think they are as good of games in general as HoD is, considering them all as whole pieces. I believe Phil took my earlier post to mean that I like HoD better, but I think the others are better games. That's not my view, though. I like HoD better and think it's a better game than the others, too.

Really not interested in listing all the points as to why I feel that way right now, though, and I don't even think that's what this thread is about.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 04:04:47 AM »
I understand. I really like HoD too.

By the way, it's Pfil, Phil is a man's name.
But no problem  :)
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 04:25:34 AM »
By the way, it's Pfil, Phil is a man's name.
But no problem  :)
The easiest way not to confuse the two is to remember Bondage Fairies.
Off topic, but why did you decide to use that name?
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
Um... well, if people want to do that, then whatever, I guess. I do not think there are any rules as to what should and shouldn't be done for everyone on a subject like that. Some people like doing that, and when it's controlled and regulated well, it shouldn't harm anyone.

Of course, having passion in life about the things you enjoy is good. It's only when people become angry/upset/offended that others would dare have differing opinions or assume that the opinions of others are less vaild that it gets bad. But as you say we're getting off topic. Speaking of off topic.

The easiest way not to confuse the two is to remember Bondage Fairies.
Off topic, but why did you decide to use that name?

I won't presume to speak for her but my thoughts on the subject would just be "why not"? I'm sure we've got names inspired from things all over the creative spectrum on the forum. My name comes from the book "The Wind in the Willows" for example. It's nice to reference the things you enjoy when creating an online handle :)

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2013, 03:38:50 AM »
I used to read it frequently during my teen years, and I find Pfil to be so cute and naive, but also other things...
You know what I'm talking about  ;)
And I've always had a thing for fairies... I just loved that aspect of Curse of Darkness, it was great to seek for all the possible forms of fairies. I even named my fairy Pfil. And I expected more from Lords of Shadow's fairies, but I was happy when I found the first ones.
And yes, why not?
But my first choice was Charlotte, but (I don't know why) I kept going to a page that told me that Charlotte was a spam name, so in the end, after trying from time to time for some weeks, I decided to choose another name, and I've always been a fan of fairies and anime characters, so Pfil was accurate to my personality.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2013, 10:12:39 PM »
Order of Ecclesia is the one DS Castlevania I haven't played (Largely because I was burned out on Castlevanias designed in the spirit of Metroid). I've heard it's challenging and repetitive in design, yet has a lot of charm and good ideas mixed in. Dawn of Sorrow is more solidly designed from top to bottom than Portrait of Ruin, but Portrait of Ruin has more interesting game mechanics and eccentricities mixed into it. The Gameboy Advance-era Castlevanias play on DS Lite, as well. Aria of Sorrow is basically a better designed, but less graphically powerful version of its sequel, Dawn of Sorrow. Circle of the Moon is sort of a mash-up of Symphony of the Night and pre-SotN titles. Harmony of Dissonance is like Circle of the Moon, but leans more heavily toward Symphony of the Night in sensibilities, and is thus a lot easier. Castlevania 1 NES CLASSIC is also available for GBA. It's the starting point of Castlevania, and is solid in design and pretty challenging, although rather "plain" compared to later Castlevanias. (But you said you already played it)

If you have any way to check out Super Castlevania IV, via Wii Virtual Console for example, I 100% recommend it. Outside of Symphony of the Night, it's one of the highest ranked Castlevania games, and for good reason. Moody visuals and amazing action abound. The NES' Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse is another top 5 (or higher) Castlevania title. It can be pretty hard, but it's a great game, and it introduced Alucard in the series as an alternate helper character. Honestly, there are a lot of pre-SotN games worth playing. A lot of people would recommend Rondo of Blood--a middle ground between the earlier titles and SotN--but I'd say Dracula X (SNES), Bloodlines (Genesis), and Belmont's Revenge (Original Gameboy) are very high up there if and when they become widely available again. (That said, Rondo of Blood is easier to play and find). If you like more "questing," Castlevania II: Simon's Quest for NES has some of the most obscure puzzles in the series, and in some ways was an early spiritual predecessor to SotN. The N64 games, Castlevania (64) and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (Enhanced remix/prequel to the first N64 game) are really interesting mixtures of classic and later Castlevania titles in 3D. They're rough around the edges, and get mixed reputations because of it, but are very ambitious and atmospheric titles worth looking at. For my money, they're easily the best 3D titles in the series.

Keep an open mind with Castlevania. It has many different styles, and each player/fan has their own favorite mixtures of gameplay styles.

Last I checked, here's how to find the most available Castlevania titles on modern systems these days (via official download):

-Castlevania 1-4 & The Adventure ReBirth* (Wii Virtual Console) *The Adventure Rebirth is a Wiiware exclusive that almost completely re-imagines the Original Gameboy game, The Adventure.
-Rondo of Blood (PSP or PSP Vita*, Wii Virtual Console) *PSP/Vita Version includes a new 2.5D remix & a port of SotN, but I've heard the visual fidelity of the original Rondo isn't as good as it is on Wii.
-Symphony of the Night (PSP, PS3, XBox360).
-The Adventure* (Nintendo 3DS eShop) *A simple, charming, yet extremely difficult game in the series, partially do to intentionally sluggish controls.
-Harmony of Despair* (PS3 and XBOX360) *This is an HD multi-player game
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:28:06 PM by RichterB »

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 03:04:44 AM »
I basically bought a DS Lite specifically for both the GBA and DS Castlevania titles. Bought the PSP solely for DXChron also - of course, after they came down in price. I only have a few other games from each system. Still slightly irked that the Snes version of Dracula X wasn't thrown in with DXChron, but then again, that wouldn't have been contractually possible due to that game being on SNES. Always emulation for that I guess.
It's actually been about two years since I played either system for Castlevania or otherwise. Been too busy with Steam games. I really should go back to Circle Of The Moon at some point.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »
If you have the cash to pay for it, why not go for a 3DS-XL?
Or perhaps it is because you want a 1:1 DS screen experience, so in that regards, the DS/DSi are better choices?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 12:23:34 AM »
+1
Yes, the NDS games play perfectly on a 3DS screen.
Specifically the Castlevania titles, all 3 of them look great (just as GBA titles look GREAT on a NDS).

Tags: