Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848893 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3195 on: June 29, 2012, 07:24:47 AM »
The person playing made the game look pretty...dull. Dunno. The combat makes me depressed. The music too. I do however love the look of the game, and the level design seems very good, much better than in any handheld Metroidvania I can think of. But the combat... :( Not only do the enemies have too much health, somebody thought it was a good idea to also give a few of them SHIELDS. We'll be moving through this castle at a snails pace, I fear.

Judging by other gameplay video's, small battles like the skeletons and such can be skipped (unless a event forces you to fight to trigger a event like the fight with those bats ) and it seems that certain enemies don't respawn  after battles so that might make backtracking the castle a little less tedious.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3196 on: June 29, 2012, 11:48:32 AM »
blood skeletons,
Blood Skeletons were in the series from the first game.
And there was also Skeleton Champion (the one who looked like he run away from Olympic Gmaes) or something like that.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3197 on: June 29, 2012, 01:55:11 PM »
I like being able to combo it up the guy did not even try to block attacks if my memory serves correct. Avoid super block/counter, combo attach ground then do it again maybe with a air combo get's me all giddy think about all the attack combinations I can think of, not to mention the sub-weapons that will be available later on and the three different characters more styles for me heck I hope ms makes a versus mode with the four characters with that streetpass thing.

Also death traps/pits are a must and one hit medusa heads. Also I wonder how far MS can bring creativity with using the whip to interact with the environment besides whip-swinging.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3198 on: June 29, 2012, 02:24:41 PM »
+1
ANYWHO... to get this thread back on track

Check out this 27 minute gameplay footage of the demo, you can actually hear the music very clearly in this one and it sounds like they just took the Lords of Shadow OST and stuck here. Disappointing:

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate - 27 Minutes Full Demo footage
Besides the low technical quality (slowdowns and being 30FPS and the obvious temporary placement musics), the environments outside the castle looks really good, it gives a good Castlevania vibe. Combat is dull as ever, if they replaced it and removed the qtes/finishers I would probably like this game.

The "press R to balance" still bothers me. Why the hell didn't they made this skill-based instead of "press button to win"?

Offline Tavis Belmont

• Video Game Approved
  • Hunter in Training
  • Game on!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3199 on: June 29, 2012, 05:38:54 PM »
NO WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!  Now I'm having flashbacks of my elementary school PE classes where the teacher forced us to exercise to that song MERCY WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?! D;

Ah, growing up with PE in the South... what happened to those days?

Anyhow, didn't Cox and his team say the demo was still an early build? Maybe they brought an older one on purpose to E3?
Defeating evil: Apparently easy.
Defeating the Lord of Darkness with a whip and some water: Damn.
"I'm a Belmont. That's my job."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3200 on: June 29, 2012, 06:30:42 PM »
Why would they bring a low quality, problematic game to E3? That would entirely defeat the purpose.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3201 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »
Anyhow, didn't Cox and his team say the demo was still an early build? Maybe they brought an older one on purpose to E3?
Every game company says that. It's almost like they are obligated to do so, even though some cases, not much changes is added to the final build.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3202 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »
Someone from vg got to play the demo at Gamelab and his impressions are somewhat positive.

(click to show/hide)

This also leads me to believe that it may have been a different demo that the one at E3.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3203 on: July 01, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
+1
Judging by other gameplay video's, small battles like the skeletons and such can be skipped (unless a event forces you to fight to trigger a event like the fight with those bats ) and it seems that certain enemies don't respawn  after battles so that might make backtracking the castle a little less tedious.

...and boring. Balancing annoyingly tough normal enemies by simply not re-spawning them goes against every game design principal I ever learned. I really hope this isn't the case. Empty halls != fun.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3204 on: July 02, 2012, 02:25:10 AM »
+1
I just hope when re-exploring early game areas in a much later part of the game, the weaker enemies (by then, of course) will be replaced with harder ones.

I'm not exactly one to complain about tough normal enemies. I actually kinda like the idea.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3205 on: July 02, 2012, 02:17:18 PM »
Well, there's Silent Hill: Book of Memories, but most people forget that exists.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3206 on: July 02, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »
I'm still waiting to see platforming and enemies...

...AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3207 on: July 02, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
I'm still waiting to see platforming and enemies...

...AT THE SAME TIME!!!

This is exactly what has me hyped about the game. Among other things (for instance, me being in general a whore for 2D perspective games).

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3208 on: July 03, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
Well, there's Silent Hill: Book of Memories, but most people forget that exists.

I'm one of those that has blanked that abomination out of my mind.
What was I talking about? I dunno.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3209 on: July 04, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
Something just hit me right now. MoF is just like shinobi 3ds, yet I hope that MoF has a better fate than shinobi from the reviewers.

From what I hear quite abit of people did not like it. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:51:30 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags: .....?