Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848446 times)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3675 on: August 17, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
+2
Again, this is another thing that will piss me the fuck off if they continue with laziness and handwave again by saying "Well, Gabe's evil now so he doesn't care about his long-lost son from his beloved wife and won't have a shred of love for him and we need an antagonist, and Trevor is now Gabriel Jr. and all heroic and pure and will totally want to just kill his vampire-dad because a bunch of old farts told him to and...well...he's good and Gabe's evil THE END."

Impress me, Konami. Really. Show me you have great story-writers on your staff and just WOW me with how wrong I am in my speculations. Please. I'm practically begging you to.
It's not like Dracula in SOTN really cared about Alucard. Adrian and Mathias were really ready to kill each other, if that came to it. And that's pretty much how SOTN and DCW ended, with Dracula being killed with Alucard's help. Their relationship wasn't that elaborated. 

As for Gabriel, unlike Mathias he don't even know that he has a son, so there is no much reason for him to be all-fatherly around him, especially in his current form and after latest developments. The same probably could go for Trevor: "What's done should be done, and I will slay evil vampire lord even if he is my father. It's my duty". Something like that.

And as for story in general, none of the Castlevanias had an really awesome and elaborated storyline. It looked elaborated, when you saw the whole series as one long storyline (even with all plotholes). But its separate entires ranged usually from "good (by the series standards)" to "generic". LOS was pretty much first serious attempt to create Castlevania entry with interesting storyline, that could stand on its own, without previous knowledge about other games, IMO. Good or bad - it in the eyes of the beholder.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:27:19 PM by Sumac »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3676 on: August 17, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »
+2
The game itself will probably be buckets of fun, but I fully expect the story to be terrible with extremely overwrought dialogue.

When Trevor discovers Dracula is his father, he's going to scream, "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" I'm betting on it.

And Simon will look into the death star and live  :rollseyes:
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #3677 on: August 17, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
It's not like Dracula in SOTN really cared about Alucard. Adrian and Mathias were really ready to kill each other, if that came to it. And that's pretty much how SOTN and DCW ended, with Dracula being killed with Alucard's help. Their relationship wasn't that elaborated. 

As for Gabriel, unlike Mathias he don't even know that he has a son, so there is no much reason for him to be all-fatherly around him, especially in his current form and after latest developments. The same probably could go for Trevor: "What's done should be done, and I will slay evil vampire lord even if he is my father. It's my duty". Something like that.

And as for story in general, none of the Castlevanias had an really awesome and elaborated storyline. It looked elaborated, when you saw the whole series as one long storyline (even with all plotholes). But its separate entires ranged usually from "good (by the series standards)" to "generic". LOS was pretty much first serious attempt to create Castlevania entry with interesting storyline, that could stand on its own, without previous knowledge about other games, IMO. Good or bad - it in the eyes of the beholder.

I was counting how many times you were going to use the word "elaborated". I'm sure you could beat your own record if you tried.

I have serious doubts that Adrian and Vlad/Mathias hated each other. I think it was far more a matter of determination. Alucard had befriended humans and wished to live out the last words of his mother. Dracula hated humans ans God and wanted revenge on both. However until Lisa's death, there's nothing to say Vlad and Adrian didn't have a good relationship. He was ready to kill Trevor to protect his father, until Trevor swayed him.

I do seem to remember in the ending dialog between Alucard and Dracula in SotN to be "Goodbye father, believe it or not I will miss you." I think every time Alucard had to go up against his dad, it hurt him, and Dracula certainly tried to bring his son back to his side to be a family again. I even harbor the belief that Dracula perhaps would not have killed Alucard if he'd defeated him in SotN.

So you see, it is a bit more complicated with them. It's not simply "I'm good, you're evil, so even though you're my dad I kill you." simplicity. It's looking like that is what Mirror of Fate is going to do with Gabe and Trevor, and I honestly hope they end up making that, too, more complicated than just that.

And as for story in general, none of the Castlevanias had an really awesome and elaborated storyline.

Yeah....soo....let's continue that with bad storytelling in the next iteration. Be consistent! That'll totally show that the LoS universe is far superior to the main one!

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3678 on: August 17, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »
+1
I was counting how many times you were going to use the word "elaborated". I'm sure you could beat your own record if you tried.

I have serious doubts that Adrian and Vlad/Mathias hated each other. I think it was far more a matter of determination. Alucard had befriended humans and wished to live out the last words of his mother. Dracula hated humans ans God and wanted revenge on both. However until Lisa's death, there's nothing to say Vlad and Adrian didn't have a good relationship. He was ready to kill Trevor to protect his father, until Trevor swayed him.

I do seem to remember in the ending dialog between Alucard and Dracula in SotN to be "Goodbye father, believe it or not I will miss you." I think every time Alucard had to go up against his dad, it hurt him, and Dracula certainly tried to bring his son back to his side to be a family again. I even harbor the belief that Dracula perhaps would not have killed Alucard if he'd defeated him in SotN.

So you see, it is a bit more complicated with them. It's not simply "I'm good, you're evil, so even though you're my dad I kill you." simplicity. It's looking like that is what Mirror of Fate is going to do with Gabe and Trevor, and I honestly hope they end up making that, too, more complicated than just that.

Yeah....soo....let's continue that with bad storytelling in the next iteration. Be consistent! That'll totally show that the LoS universe is far superior to the main one!

After reading most of what was being said of the story. MS wants to make a deep story, but along the way MS might have made some mistakes. In english class and tutoring I was always told that sometimes clarity and brevity was the best way to go and not make something twisted or confusing to make the sentences and the point you are trying to make in your essay sound fancy. What I am trying to say is that maybe MS tried to make their story elaborate, and may have fell on their face because of it instead of being somewhat simple and more to the point.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3679 on: August 17, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
+2
After reading most of what was being said of the story. MS wants to make a deep story, but along the way MS might have made some mistakes.

Rule number one in making the plot for your game clear and coherent:
DO NOT LISTEN TO HIDEO KOJIMA'S ADVISE NO MATTER HOW MUCH KONAMI COERCES YOU TO. :P
"Stuff and things."

Offline gortaithe

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3680 on: August 17, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
Rule number one in making the plot for your game clear and coherent:
DO NOT LISTEN TO HIDEO KOJIMA'S ADVISE NO MATTER HOW MUCH KONAMI COERCES YOU TO. :P

love this... so much. LMAO

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3681 on: August 17, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
Konami On Air Show - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (Platforming, gamesom 2012)

I guess this is all what we will get from gamescom maybe I am jumping the gun, but  :( I think we all want some new gameplay. I guess we will see tomorrow.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3682 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
+1
I like that word. Makes everytting a bit elaborated.

I have serious doubts that Adrian and Vlad/Mathias hated each other. It's not simply "I'm good, you're evil, so even though you're my dad I kill you." simplicity.
Where have I said that they outright hated each other?  ???
I only stated that they were ready to kill each other, if they didn't had another choice. Even, if they still cared about each other, it didn't stop their fighting. And in the end their situation could be summed as a statement above. Besides, I believe, that Trevor will have some issues with killing Gabriel. But it will be pretty generic, as in SOTN for example.

First, I never said that LOS story is definitely superrior.
Once again I repeat, I said that "LOS was pretty much first serious attempt to create Castlevania entry with really interesting storyline". It not the same as the LOS was the game with "the best storyline ever in the series". Just that there were nothing as elaborated (yes, again) before. Though personally I think that LOS story was good, but I treat old and new canons as separate entities as I always do, when it come to different versions of the franchise.

And I am not sure what do you meant by "let's continue that with bad storytelling in the next iteration". I never said that old canon was bad. It was good. Sometimes very good, just not something AWESOME AND GRANDIOSE AND COMPLICATED like some people love to think of it. And definitely not something that should be upholded like a sacred standard...because then story standard for Castlevania is pretty...mediocre.

Offline Heuss

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3683 on: August 18, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
+1

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3684 on: August 18, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »
mock up or legit?

Either way, nice!

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #3685 on: August 18, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
+1
And I am not sure what do you meant by "let's continue that with bad storytelling in the next iteration". I never said that old canon was bad. It was good. Sometimes very good, just not something AWESOME AND GRANDIOSE AND COMPLICATED like some people love to think of it. And definitely not something that should be upholded like a sacred standard...because then story standard for Castlevania is pretty...mediocre.

I was being sarcastic with that one. My point was more along the lines of that, while the original canon has plotholes a-plenty and a good chunk of confusing backstory, it's not so irreparable that my own imagination can't fill in the blanks and I can go about being happy with what it was. (Give me a few good artists and a co-writer, and I could make an entire webcomic series that could fill in a lot of those plotholes and have it make sense too. Seriously. I've done the outlining. It's doable.)

I think Lords of Shadow had a good premise it was trying to start up, but now they've gotten to a point where there's a lot of bumpiness in the road ahead and it looks like they're going to be coming away with the same gaping plotholes that the original canon has. Again, it's some that's fixable, and MS is in a very good position that this is early-enough within the trilogy that those storyline holes can be covered before they ever become an issue. I just hope that's how they look at it, rather than telling the story their own way, finding out that alot of people are scratching their heads as to why several things about the story doesn't make sense, and just going "Whelp, we're done with this storyline now, so guess you gotta live with them plotholes. Bye!"

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3686 on: August 18, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
+1
Konami On Air Show - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (Puzzles, gamesom 2012)

We might get a new teaser tomorrow if I heard the guy with glasses correctly toward the end.

Around 11:24
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:15:22 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3687 on: August 18, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »
Someone on another forum got to play it at Gamescom and it was meet with good impressions.

Also, he was told by a Konami rep that there aiming for a January release.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3688 on: August 18, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »

I will be disappointed if this isn't America's boxart.

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3689 on: August 18, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »
Let's hope that it is, but I won't be surprised if it isn't, America has a history with getting shitty boxart.
Reluctant fighting game, Mega Man/X, Dragon Quest, and Castlevania lifelong fan.

What do I do with all these Belmonts?

Tags: .....? 

anything