Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse  (Read 274326 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2013, 06:14:54 PM »
Still, compared to the SotN/Rondo-based Trevor, the Skull Knight's colors look a bit too muddled and faded. You might want to try tweaking the colors yourself to at least match SotN/Rondo's quality.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
Lol, why in the world did you choose to use the HIDEOUS looking skeleton night from the GBA game, INSTEAD OF the gorgeous looking CV3 remade one that is all over the internet and was designed SPECIFICALLY for this game?   ???
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2013, 12:15:35 AM »
You've seen that where? I remember seeing that only 1 time and I cant remember where.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2013, 04:43:04 AM »
Lol, why in the world did you choose to use the HIDEOUS looking skeleton night from the GBA game, INSTEAD OF the gorgeous looking CV3 remade one that is all over the internet and was designed SPECIFICALLY for this game?   ???
when exactly did that version become hideous? Lol. I have the other version and while being a custom sprite its badss, i like the HoD version better. Not to mention the other version has just the simple jump n hack attack phase where the HoD has a beam at the latter half of the fight. But i do agree with vlad, i may go back and edit the colors to more closely resemble the original.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »
Deleted?

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2013, 08:30:13 PM »
Time for an update  ;D i completed stage1 and 3 with.the exception of adding grant and i began working on thr mad forest today  8) with that, if anyone has any good sprites for grant and wouldnt mind i could DEFINITELY could use them!  8)

Offline JILost

• Hunter in Training
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2013, 11:33:11 PM »
Hey, man. This game looks REALLY good and I'd especially like to see a (free!) soundtrack release whenever it becomes available. This honestly looks to be one of my favorite homebrew ever, partially just from reading through the thread and seeing your comments as you developed it - it feels like we've been part of the creation process and you just seem like a pretty cool guy in general, so it makes me look more forward to -your- results.

That said, I do have three suggestions:

1. Have an option to have Japanese or American Grant. I'm honestly not fond of American Grant with his stubby little knife and use him mostly for the utility factor (the wall-climbing); Japenese Grant is AWESOME with his auto-daggers which don't require hearts or even a dagger item and I usually tend to ditch Trevor the moment I get him. The only difference at all is the primary weapon, but it makes a world of difference in the gameplay. If you haven't played the Japanese Castlevania 3 with Grant, do so. Now.

You're still here? I said now. Go ahead, I'll wait right here.

Hey, you're back! Now do you see why I want him in your game? If not, play again.

2. Have an option for either the Japanese or American damage system. In the American version, the damage dealt is stage-based (two blocks from everything in the first few stages, three blocks in the next few, and four at the end); in the Japanese version, it's enemy-based (medusa heads take two, hunchbacks take three, axe knights take four, etc.). Maybe you can have the American system as "easy" difficulty and the Japanese as "normal" - and if you decide to get into "second quest" enemy layouts, that can be your "hard".

3. I noticed in some stages (like Alucard's Cave pt. 1), you have something in the background like the cave walls, but then have tile walls in front of them with sections of the tiles missing so you can see the wall between them. Might I suggest putting the cave wall and the tiles on different background layers so the tiles scroll with the main bg layer and the cave wall scrolls slower behind it? The cave wall scrolling with the main bg layer makes the stage feel thin, especially when previous stages used paralax for depth. Maybe that's just me...but if I know paralax is being used, I expect to see it in every stage. Maybe that's just me though.

And for Pete's sake, leave your demo videos up longer or throw them on Youtube so those of us late to the party can see them too! I obviously saw the early videos but missed out on the .wmv from a few weeks ago because it wasn't in your d-box anymore. Those early vids really wet my appetite (ESPECIALLY the music!) and I OMG MUST SEE MOAR RIGHT NOW PLZ KTHNX.

Thanks for everything you're doing and I REALLY look forward to playing this thing.

EDIT: In reading back over this, I can see it being a bit easy to read as if I'm making demands. That's not my intention. I think they'd be good things to impliment in some form or other, especially since some of us prefer one way (Japanese) and others the other way (American), but feel free to completely ignore them and go about things however you please. :) However, contrary to that, SOUNDTRACK DOWNLOAD NOW PLZ KTHNX BAI.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:40:14 PM by JILost »

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »
Wow!  That is a review if i've ever seen one! lol  Thanks for all the support and input dude and at no point did i take any of your words as demands or criticism.  It's all good dude :) For your first recommendation, ABSOLUTELY!  I agree with you 100% there.  I think that it was pretty lame that they cheapened a bit for grant on the US verson of the game by not allowing him to throw knives on command.  I do however want to make it so that it uses hearts to do so, just like with the other characters, but the only difference being that he can do it on command.  (btw i liked the push to play the japanese version if i hadn't yet, i lol'd for a good 5 mins over that)  For the 2nd recommendation, again, spot on dude.  And i've already cleared that up :)  Each enemy will damage you differently, not based on stage progress.  That got on my nerves too lol.  Though one thing i do plan on adding to this is when you progress through the game and you come across the same enemy types they will become tougher and do a little more damage as well.  So that little punk skeleton will be a bad mofo come stage 8 lol.  And as for the cave, it actually works the way you said in game, i am using microsoft expression to record my videos and while its not the best there is it agrees more with my laptop than most others have so far lol.  So some of the finer points of parallax wont show up very well if at all.  Believe me, the stages are my main concerns, it's Castlevania, its GOTTA have some gnarly backgrounds :)  I really appreciate the input man, from you and the rest of the crew on the dungeon.  As you mentioned earlier, with everyone's input i will take what i can apply of it and use it to try and make the game that more more awesome :)  What kind of game would it be if i just said screw it all, im making it MY way?  It would only be fun for me to play.  I want to make a game that everyone will have a blast playing and be talking it up years later.  With the help from everyone here i think that could happen.  And as for the soundtrack,lmao dude, i didnt write the originals, all rights are to Konami.  I can only take credit for the way they have been remixed and i DEFINITELY will be releasing it (for free of course lol) when the game is nearing its completion.  Sorry about the vids also lol, i've been using dropbox so i've been deleting them every so often to make space lol.  I tell you what, provided i get the time to do it i will create a youtube channel just for this.  Thanks again for your input and kind words man, stuff like this makes me want to push the game even harder!  Wow!  That is a review if i've ever seen one! lol  Thanks for all the support and input dude and at no point did i take any of your words as demands or criticism.  It's all good dude :) For your first recommendation, ABSOLUTELY!  I agree with you 100% there.  I think that it was pretty lame that they cheapened a bit for grant on the US verson of the game by not allowing him to throw knives on command.  I do however want to make it so that it uses hearts to do so, just like with the other characters, but the only difference being that he can do it on command.  (btw i liked the push to play the japanese version if i hadn't yet, i lol'd for a good 5 mins over that)  For the 2nd recommendation, again, spot on dude.  And i've already cleared that up :)  Each enemy will damage you differently, not based on stage progress.  That got on my nerves too lol.  Though one thing i do plan on adding to this is when you progress through the game and you come across the same enemy types they will become tougher and do a little more damage as well.  So that little punk skeleton will be a bad mofo come stage 8 lol.  And as for the cave, it actually works the way you said in game, i am using microsoft expression to record my videos and while its not the best there is it agrees more with my laptop than most others have so far lol.  So some of the finer points of parallax wont show up very well if at all.  Believe me, the stages are my main concerns, it's Castlevania, its GOTTA have some gnarly backgrounds :)  I really appreciate the input man, from you and the rest of the crew on the dungeon.  As you mentioned earlier, with everyone's input i will take what i can apply of it and use it to try and make the game that more more awesome :)  What kind of game would it be if i just said screw it all, im making it MY way?  It would only be fun for me to play.  I want to make a game that everyone will have a blast playing and be talking it up years later.  With the help from everyone here i think that could happen.  And as for the soundtrack,lmao dude, i didnt write the originals, all rights are to Konami.  I can only take credit for the way they have been remixed and i DEFINITELY will be releasing it (for free of course lol) when the game is nearing its completion.  Sorry about the vids also lol, i've been using dropbox so i've been deleting them every so often to make space lol.  I tell you what, provided i get the time to do it i will create a youtube channel just for this.  Thanks again for your input and kind words man, stuff like this makes me want to push the game even harder!

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »
Holy wall of text, Batman. :P
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »
Hahaha  :P

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »
Wow!  That is a review if i've ever seen one! lol  Thanks for all the support and input dude and at no point did i take any of your words as demands or criticism.  It's all good dude :) For your first recommendation, ABSOLUTELY!  I agree with you 100% there.  I think that it was pretty lame that they cheapened a bit for grant on the US verson of the game by not allowing him to throw knives on command.  I do however want to make it so that it uses hearts to do so, just like with the other characters, but the only difference being that he can do it on command.  (btw i liked the push to play the japanese version if i hadn't yet, i lol'd for a good 5 mins over that)  For the 2nd recommendation, again, spot on dude.  And i've already cleared that up :)  Each enemy will damage you differently, not based on stage progress.  That got on my nerves too lol.  Though one thing i do plan on adding to this is when you progress through the game and you come across the same enemy types they will become tougher and do a little more damage as well.  So that little punk skeleton will be a bad mofo come stage 8 lol.  And as for the cave, it actually works the way you said in game, i am using microsoft expression to record my videos and while its not the best there is it agrees more with my laptop than most others have so far lol.  So some of the finer points of parallax wont show up very well if at all.  Believe me, the stages are my main concerns, it's Castlevania, its GOTTA have some gnarly backgrounds :)  I really appreciate the input man, from you and the rest of the crew on the dungeon.  As you mentioned earlier, with everyone's input i will take what i can apply of it and use it to try and make the game that more more awesome :)  What kind of game would it be if i just said screw it all, im making it MY way?  It would only be fun for me to play.  I want to make a game that everyone will have a blast playing and be talking it up years later.  With the help from everyone here i think that could happen.  And as for the soundtrack,lmao dude, i didnt write the originals, all rights are to Konami.  I can only take credit for the way they have been remixed and i DEFINITELY will be releasing it (for free of course lol) when the game is nearing its completion.  Sorry about the vids also lol, i've been using dropbox so i've been deleting them every so often to make space lol.  I tell you what, provided i get the time to do it i will create a youtube channel just for this.  Thanks again for your input and kind words man, stuff like this makes me want to push the game even harder!  Wow!  That is a review if i've ever seen one! lol  Thanks for all the support and input dude and at no point did i take any of your words as demands or criticism.  It's all good dude :) For your first recommendation, ABSOLUTELY!  I agree with you 100% there.  I think that it was pretty lame that they cheapened a bit for grant on the US verson of the game by not allowing him to throw knives on command.  I do however want to make it so that it uses hearts to do so, just like with the other characters, but the only difference being that he can do it on command.  (btw i liked the push to play the japanese version if i hadn't yet, i lol'd for a good 5 mins over that)  For the 2nd recommendation, again, spot on dude.  And i've already cleared that up :)  Each enemy will damage you differently, not based on stage progress.  That got on my nerves too lol.  Though one thing i do plan on adding to this is when you progress through the game and you come across the same enemy types they will become tougher and do a little more damage as well.  So that little punk skeleton will be a bad mofo come stage 8 lol.  And as for the cave, it actually works the way you said in game, i am using microsoft expression to record my videos and while its not the best there is it agrees more with my laptop than most others have so far lol.  So some of the finer points of parallax wont show up very well if at all.  Believe me, the stages are my main concerns, it's Castlevania, its GOTTA have some gnarly backgrounds :)  I really appreciate the input man, from you and the rest of the crew on the dungeon.  As you mentioned earlier, with everyone's input i will take what i can apply of it and use it to try and make the game that more more awesome :)  What kind of game would it be if i just said screw it all, im making it MY way?  It would only be fun for me to play.  I want to make a game that everyone will have a blast playing and be talking it up years later.  With the help from everyone here i think that could happen.  And as for the soundtrack,lmao dude, i didnt write the originals, all rights are to Konami.  I can only take credit for the way they have been remixed and i DEFINITELY will be releasing it (for free of course lol) when the game is nearing its completion.  Sorry about the vids also lol, i've been using dropbox so i've been deleting them every so often to make space lol.  I tell you what, provided i get the time to do it i will create a youtube channel just for this.  Thanks again for your input and kind words man, stuff like this makes me want to push the game even harder!
Deja Vu?!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »
Hahaha and Deja Vu is great! Hey, Deja Vu in this is Vampire Killer so hells yeah! lol  :P

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:18 AM »
Ok guys, it's been a minute since my last post so its time for an update.  Right now im up to the Marsh, i've added enemies to the village, clocktower, mad forest 1 and 2.  I've been crazy slammed at work so i havent had as much time as i would like to put into it.  I will upload a new progress vid hopefully this evening and post the vid on here tonight, if not tomorrow.  If anyone would like to help with the Grant sprites please get at me.  I cant sprite worth a **** lol unless its backgrounds so any help here would be greatly appreciated!  I'll keep you guys posted  8)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2013, 04:58:58 AM »
What's up guys?  Sorry i've been away for a minute, work has been crazy these last few weeks and my band has been as busy as ever!  As of yesterday evening, i wrapped up the enemies in the marsh and started working on Alucard's Cave.  Even with all the downtime in between i feel that at the pace im going i could possibly have the game ready in the next month or 2  8) i will DEFINITELY be posting a vid soon and soon after a playable demo with a few stages :) Also, didnt know if i mentioned this or not, but i will be working today on enabling the use of a PS3 remote for the controls for anyone who has a PS3 remote :) 

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »
Considering the fact that I had HELL finding something to use for swamp water, then getting it to move and look like mossy water, then had to add bubbles, and a wade effect for the player, I would be very interested in seeing how your marsh turned out. It would hopefully give me some ideas on how to improve mine more. Since something about the water just doesn't feel right.  :-\
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Tags: