Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Detroit city announces bankruptcy.  (Read 2363 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »
I had absolutely no idea that an entire city would file for bankruptcy. Nor did I even know that it was in debt for a very long time. The city once held a population of around 7 million people but now it only bolsters a measly 700,000. If this keeps up they might as well move everyone out and sell the whole city as scrap. One big salvage yard; the largest in history.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/07/22/detroit-bankruptcy-cities/
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »
Detroit’s bankruptcy capped a decades-long slide for a city that once-symbolized U.S. industrial might and the union-covered manufacturing jobs that propelled the growth of America’s middle-income families.

Holy shit! I always imagined Detroit as a great industrial city as well. I believe it was a home to car and engine companies. Even the creators of Robocop decided to focus the story in Detroit, and that means something. 

That reminds me of the works of Tom Peters and Reengineering the Corporation by Hammer & Champy that I studies in one of my courses. They all talked about the need to reinvent management and work methods in order to survive in the Hi-Tech Global age. When competition increases and a crisis like that hits, you either start thinking differently, or die.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »
Omni Consumer Products has been spotted in the vicinity. :P :P :P :P :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
I'm surprised it took them this long to do it. It's fucking depressing in Detroit (seriously, all those gorgeous buildings and most of them are boarded up and empty) and it's never really recovered from the auto industry hits it took years back.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:04:33 PM »
And yet cities around the country will ignore this and continue to degrade. And that's just at the micro level. States will ignore it and eventually collapse as well. And then the country will become consolidated and we will all live in a giant tower in Oklahoma.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »
This isn't a huge shocker to those of us in the States. Detroit's fall has been so dramatic and happening for so long (since about the 1970s) that it's practically a punchline to many. It was built as "Motor City" and when car manufacturing moved overseas and to other areas in the US it just collapsed in on itself. I've heard they have so many abandoned houses there that they had a program where a person could mow the grass in front of such a house for a few months and then the city would give them the house, but no one or hardly any one bothered to use this program.

Holy shit! I always imagined Detroit as a great industrial city as well. I believe it was a home to car and engine companies. Even the creators of Robocop decided to focus the story in Detroit, and that means something.

Well, as I said. Detroit has been the symbol of urban decay in America for a long time now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:20:08 PM by Ratty »

Tags:

anything