Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 449808 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #915 on: October 09, 2018, 11:12:15 AM »
Nice, thanks!

Is there any rule against offering auditions for both?  I'd like to present options and display versatility (in theory, we'll see how it works in practice).

Thanks again.

There are not. There's also no rules to submit multiple tests for a single character (in case you'd want to portray the character's intonation or personality differently, or favor a test over another. All that matters is that you let me know what you're trying to convey with each test).
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #916 on: October 19, 2018, 07:38:17 PM »
+3
Not exactly an update but, since it's been a while since the last one (and just a bit longer before the next one, hold on tight buddies!), I decided to bring this boy for you to see and bridge the gap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xwSVJdT4Ok

This is an interview the core members of the Umbra team did to the Castlevania Latino community a while ago, responding some questions they had about the project. We gave our minds on many subjects (music, story, gameplay, etc) and there might be something here you don't know yet, so give it a check and, again, thank you CV Latino dudes for interviewing us!

(PS: The video is in spanish but there are english subtitles!)
(PS2: For some reason the english is a tad broken. I assume oversight, but it's still perfectly readable.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:35:14 AM by theplottwist »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #917 on: October 20, 2018, 02:40:10 AM »
Cool interview! Thank you for the English subtitles (or else I'd be lost).

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #918 on: October 20, 2018, 03:29:16 AM »
+1
i maintain that my samuel l jackson joke in there is one of the greatest i've ever told

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #919 on: October 26, 2018, 03:28:49 AM »
I agree D9. I laughed at that part.  ;D

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #920 on: October 27, 2018, 02:27:12 PM »
Just saw the  vid and that gameplay  it looked outstanding, have you considered sending it to Konami, cos this is how, Sonic Mania started, and this looks like the shot in the arm the franchise desperately needs. And this would be right in the crest of the wave of renewed Interest in CV, I mean That Whip action ohhhhhh , I've always maintained that it should be purple, and BAM and it looks like it has real weight to it, like you can feel the impact. will there be whip Upgrades to find, and how far along is it. all and all I would really show this to Konami as they'd be MAD not to take this up, it could and would make them a TON of money
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #921 on: October 27, 2018, 03:18:37 PM »
Just saw the  vid and that gameplay  it looked outstanding, have you considered sending it to Konami, cos this is how, Sonic Mania started, and this looks like the shot in the arm the franchise desperately needs. And this would be right in the crest of the wave of renewed Interest in CV, I mean That Whip action ohhhhhh , I've always maintained that it should be purple, and BAM and it looks like it has real weight to it, like you can feel the impact. will there be whip Upgrades to find, and how far along is it. all and all I would really show this to Konami as they'd be MAD not to take this up, it could and would make them a TON of money
Because Konami isn't Sega.
Mig is lucky Konami approved LC2, aproaching them with this and them considering it for official release is probably out of the question.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:07:22 PM by Undead Waiter »
Gotta get away

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #922 on: October 27, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »
Because Konami isn't Sega.
Mig is lucky Konami approved LC2, aproaching them with this and them considering it for official release is probably out of the question.
True but, surely they could see a money maker, I mean LOOK AT IT and Konami seem to what gamers to Love them again, and we all this new CV every fan is CRYING out for a new game. and this is the one.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #923 on: October 29, 2018, 07:51:36 PM »
Just saw the  vid and that gameplay  it looked outstanding, have you considered sending it to Konami, cos this is how, Sonic Mania started, and this looks like the shot in the arm the franchise desperately needs. And this would be right in the crest of the wave of renewed Interest in CV,

As you can see from the hype train (which I'm happily onboard TCHOO TCHOO GO KONAMI GO!), Konami does not need us to renew interest in CV and we never had any illusion that they do. We're just fans doing what fans do. But I'm flattered that this is your perception of us, thank you <3

There's nothing much to say. Whatever Konami decides, we are ready to obey. At the end of the day, we are using Konami property to create this project. The least we can do is not rip any assets from them and make it all as pratically original as humanly possible (and boy, are these original assets coming beautifully, if I may be immodest for a minute in the name of the entire team), and as clear as day that they do not endorse this project, and that we are earning ABSOLUTELLY NOTHING with it.

I mean That Whip action ohhhhhh , I've always maintained that it should be purple, and BAM and it looks like it has real weight to it, like you can feel the impact.

If you liked Julius' whipping animation, just wait until you see the redo :P It took the engine working for me to see that it doesn't properly evoke what I wanted, but it will... I learned some new tricks to make it do what I need :P

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #924 on: October 30, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »
As you can see from the hype train (which I'm happily onboard TCHOO TCHOO GO KONAMI GO!), Konami does not need us to renew interest in CV and we never had any illusion that they do. We're just fans doing what fans do. But I'm flattered that this is your perception of us, thank you <3

There's nothing much to say. Whatever Konami decides, we are ready to obey. At the end of the day, we are using Konami property to create this project. The least we can do is not rip any assets from them and make it all as pratically original as humanly possible (and boy, are these original assets coming beautifully, if I may be immodest for a minute in the name of the entire team), and as clear as day that they do not endorse this project, and that we are earning ABSOLUTELLY NOTHING with it.

If you liked Julius' whipping animation, just wait until you see the redo :P It took the engine working for me to see that it doesn't properly evoke what I wanted, but it will... I learned some new tricks to make it do what I need :P
Well yeah and Konami are real asses TBH. its sad as i used to really love those guys. BUt now they seem mad on just making us hate em.  But I really can't wait till i can play it, i mean its sad CV games don't get made like this anymore, but you guy have done amazing wellthe whole thing looks like a CV love letter. And i can't wait for to see the redo Oh man i can't wait ahhhhh.

But really guys this is out standing work in both gameplay and presentation. As a CV fan I Thank you for you're hard work.

Thank you Team Umbra

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #925 on: December 12, 2018, 09:34:39 PM »
+2
New tracks from Umbra!

"The Angolmois Mansion Offensive"

"Frozen Howls"

Offline Gardraphius

• Interested in Castlevania fan games.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #926 on: February 14, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
Any new update on Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow? It has been a while. Right now, I anticipate this fangame more than I do Bloodstained, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #927 on: February 15, 2019, 10:44:08 AM »
+4
Any new update on Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow? It has been a while. Right now, I anticipate this fangame more than I do Bloodstained, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Hello!

First of all, thank you for the support. The support the community has given us is far more than we expected, and we're always grateful for it.

Now, there are updates waiting to be made, but at this specific time I'm refraining from releasing them and also instructed the team not to beyond their personal channels with handpicked content. I'll keep from giving too many details due to the fact that everyone is operating on assumptions, but bottom line is that we do not want to even imply to be trying to confuse people or trying to ride a wave of attention that might get us in trouble. This has to do with a certain well-established fan work's death and the circunstances around it which quite frankly startled me a bit.

The fan Castlevania community has a knack for producing high-quality work, something we're also striving to do, and we understand that presenting this work could actually become a problem for us if shown before the exactly right time. We do not want to have the most minimal risk of trouble beyond the necessary so we're waiting a bit to give an update.

If you need a confirmation that this is still alive though, then yes, it very much is. We just chose to stay silent for a while and are observing the fandom's movement. I should also reiterate that producing this project will likely take much longer than probably anyone expects so, if it looks like we're dead but no death statement has been made, we probably aren't dead.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:24:50 PM by theplottwist »

Offline GabrielCarati

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Portfolio
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2)
« Reply #928 on: June 04, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
Hello!

I'm a student of Game Design (Uniritter) and Illustsration (Elemental) from Brazil, here is my portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/gabrielcarati

I'm interested in joining the production team if they're accepting new people, I'm a big fan of the franchise, I always wanted a game that told the story of the War of 1999 since Julius may be my favorite Belmont.

I recently started writing a fan game that goes before Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse with a friend, I did a marathon that lasted a few months to play all the games of Castlevania again with the exception of the spin offs Dracula Kid (yes, all of them, even the Lords of Shadow trilogy, Judgment, 64, etc) to situate myself again in the entire history of the franchise to write this project, taking into consideration the canon of the series established by Koji Igarashi as well. You can see the first concept of this project in the latest publication of my portfolio.

Besides this, I happen to not have much experience yet on such projects, so even if my project does not come out of the role as a game, at least I would like to publish it as a story and would like to keep it without conflicts with the probably already written Umbra of Sorrow as well, even passing through a historical period of several centuries before.

Therefore, if you are accepting new artists on the production team and I am accepted, I intend to dedicate myself and learn from the project, pausing what I have been writing to continue it after the release of Umbra of Sorrow.

My Facebook and e-mail for contact:
https://www.facebook.com/gabrielcarati
gabrielcarati@hotmail.com

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #929 on: June 04, 2019, 03:49:10 PM »
Hi there, Gabriel! Nice work you got on your portifolio and, from what you described about your own project (and from that master Castlevania pack you assembled ;) ), nice fan dedication too. I wish you the best as a fan, and also as artist!

Currently, we are not accepting more collaborators for this project. If we do need someone to contribute to it in the future, we will issue a call on this thread and other relevant venues, and update the thread's front page accordingly.

Thank you for offering your work. And, as a fellow CV fan, I hope to see Curtain of Delusion become reality someday :) If you have any questions please PM me.

Tags: 1999 Awes