Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 453412 times)

Offline GabrielCarati

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Portfolio
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #930 on: June 04, 2019, 05:46:53 PM »
No problem, thanks for the reply! I'll be waiting for the opportunity if it comes up. ;D

I hope Curtain of Delusion can be finished someday too! I'll be working on it and as soon as possible try to present it here on CV Dungeon, best of luck on the Umbra project, I'm looking foward to play it.  :D

Btw, I'm glad to know that my master Castlevania pack is spreading and people are enjoying it too! haha

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #931 on: September 23, 2019, 06:57:40 PM »
+2
So, in short, Grimoire of Souls could prove to be a challenge. As of now, nothing major interfered with Umbra, but if GoS reveals something TOO major once it comes out, it could mean that entire chunks of Umbra's plotline (and possibly gameplay aspects that are interwined with the plotline) must get rewritten to suit what GoS says. Anything official Konami puts out > Umbra of Sorrow.

I'm back to say a little on this. This is not an update, but more an "I didn't forget. Also, we still alive somehow", to those who care.

(click to show/hide)
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #932 on: September 24, 2019, 02:24:37 AM »
Welcome back plot!
Thanks for the update.

I'd like to say, if some of your suspected things got added into GOS, then you're on the right track. :)
And your decision to make GoS the last canon thing you add is great. Rewriting everytime there's a new canon out will never make a project get done.

Offline Gardraphius

• Interested in Castlevania fan games.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #933 on: October 18, 2019, 05:10:16 PM »
Thanks for updating us.

Making a fan game isn't easy as the only incentive for doing so is community support and shear passion for the work you wish to pay tribute to. So I'm sure we're all fully aware that for any number of reasons, long hiatuses and lack of updating are to be expected. With that in mind, I do have a question.

You don't have to answer it if you don't want to, but does the development of Wallachia: Reign of Dracula and Castlevania: Rhapsody of Darkness have something to do with the lack of updating? Namely the creative talents of Junki Sakuraba and others in the community focusing on their own projects? This would make sense as this community is very collaborative and like working with each other as opposed to lone-wolfing projects.

If this is the case, which makes complete sense, will more frequent development updating occur once these projects are completed and everyone focuses their attention back to Umbra of Sorrow? If the community knew that Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow was shelved, we would understand, especially if the reason for this is the aforementioned case.

Thanks,

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #934 on: October 18, 2019, 10:12:03 PM »
+2
Hello, Gardraphius! Thank you for the support, first of all.

The spoiler contains a longer response but the TL;DR is: PlotTwist can't draw fast enough. Other projects have some or no bearing on development speed. Situation is not changing soon.

(click to show/hide)

When enough content that can be displayed is created, we may release updates, but we're not interested in promising anything. Also, if Umbra gets shelved, there will be no secret of it at all. We'll just make a statement and move on.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:46:02 PM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #935 on: October 19, 2019, 10:12:07 AM »
It takes time to create a work of art. It's definitely not something to be rushed (as we see in a lot of triple A companies as of late  :P) Umbra will be done when it's done, that's all anyone can hope for.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gardraphius

• Interested in Castlevania fan games.
    • Awards
« Reply #936 on: October 19, 2019, 03:56:27 PM »
The creative process can't exactly be sped up, and I understand that real life can get in the way. If it's any solace to you, don't beat yourself up for it, especially as you have an entire community at your back who are very considerate and patient, and we're very grateful that someone with as much talent and passion as you can dedicate your time to Umbra of Sorrow. Just remember that while we're definitely rooting for you, we'd never ask you to rush things or pressure you into working harder. Though I have little experience of my own, I can understand just how much close attention to detail and care must go into creating art for a Castlevania fan game.

Thanks for your explanation which in itself is an update, and remember that you're not alone. For whatever reason, anyone may not be able to dedicate their full time and attention to projects, and that it's still very important to have time for yourself.

Very much looking forward to Wallachia too, it is an extremely high quality product, no doubt thanks to you as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #937 on: April 13, 2020, 11:04:17 AM »
+1
I know I'm necromancing this thread, but I wonder if this project has had any updates now that we are kind of stuck at home...

Edit: stupid phone...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:06:20 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #938 on: April 13, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »
+2
I know I'm necromancing this thread, but I wonder if this project has had any updates now that we are kind of stuck at home...
Edit: stupid phone...

Well that's where everything Umbra will go so a bit of necromancing could be fine I guess :P

There is an update planned for Soon™. Should've gone up before, but I couldn't make it in time. It'll show some new stuff in some different fronts, including the promised retooling of Julius Belmont. Don't be overly hyped tho, we're working with fickle things here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:05:59 PM by theplottwist »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #939 on: April 13, 2020, 05:04:27 PM »
+1
I can't wait to see Julius's new tool.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #940 on: April 14, 2020, 02:03:16 AM »
Oooh! I'm excited. :)

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #941 on: April 14, 2020, 07:31:23 PM »
Truth to be said, i'd prefer if you guys released "Umbra of Sorrow: the novel/script/text" and then, whenever it's ready. It's like, knowing the book doesn't make the movie version any less enjoyable, imo.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #942 on: April 16, 2020, 10:21:33 PM »
+1
there really is enough to fill a book actually lol

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #943 on: April 17, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
More to my point. Again, text and a game are clearly different experiences. And while the former can be edited more easily than the later in case developement causes changes that would affect the former...

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #944 on: April 17, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »
When does the book become a voiced radio drama though? :p

But really, always happy to hear this is still kickin'. All of the projects I seem to be excited for lately are fan efforts, and this is probably the one I'm most giddy about.

Tags: 1999 Awes