Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 119279 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2013, 07:17:09 PM »
Hyping myself for the Desolation of Smaug by watching the Unexpected Journey for the 3rd time.

I'll probably wait to see that one on DVD like I did with Unexpected Journey. Journey was ok but felt padded and I missed the greater proportion of practical effects to CGI we got to see in the LotR trilogy. Oh and I've no idea where the Gandalf x Galadriel thing comes from if not the deepest depths of Deviantart. (That or, more likely, some executive in a boardroom about to have a hernia when he found out there wasn't going to be a shoehorned romance in the movies.) But I hope you enjoy Desolation of Smaug :) Be sure to let us know what you think!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:30:25 PM by Ratty »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #301 on: November 26, 2013, 03:57:51 AM »
I'll probably wait to see that one on DVD like I did with Unexpected Journey. Journey was ok but felt padded and I missed the greater proportion of practical effects to CGI we got to see in the LotR trilogy. Oh and I've no idea where the Gandalf x Galadriel thing comes from if not the deepest depths of Deviantart. (That or, more likely, some executive in a boardroom about to have a hernia when he found out there wasn't going to be a shoehorned romance in the movies.) But I hope you enjoy Desolation of Smaug :) Be sure to let us know what you think!

Hmm... The Unexpected Journey is really padded because PJ and co. added a lot of stuff from the appendices. As for the Galadriel X Gandalf thing, i did not find it as a romantic thing when i watched the movie, though when i viewed the trailer the first thing i thought was the same as yours.

I'll write my comments here when i get to see it. :)

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2013, 01:15:39 AM »
I'm also pretty stoked about Desolation of Smaug (big Tolkein fan here).  I really love the additions they made from the Appendices of LotR, together with a few bits from The Silmarillion, as well as giving the dwarves more personality.  The small but expanded role for 'Figwit'/Lindir was great, although judging from his role, he seemed to be stepping into the shoes of Erestor (who was actually in FotR).  Regarding the Galadriel/Gandalf thing, I saw it as more affection for one another in a platonic way for having known each other for a very long time.  After all, Galadriel is one of the older elves about in Middle Earth, and Gandalf is one of the Maiar, and a fellow ring-bearer of one of the elven rings of power.

For the extended edition, I loved most of the additions (especially the Rivendell scenes) aside for the goblins, which I allready disliked the look of.  The goblin king's (sadly not the one who sparkles) son felt very out of place and far too modern for my liking.  However, putting Dame Edna in as the voice for him was genius.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: November 30, 2013, 02:40:33 AM »
Hiya fellow Tolkien fan~!  :)

I am happy about Figwit's role bump.
Regarding Galadriel/Gandalf. I do agree with your explanation.
The extended edition's Rivendell scenes left me laughing!

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: November 30, 2013, 03:33:39 AM »
The one which made me laugh the most was where Kili was oggling one of the Rivendell elves, only to be told that said elf was male.  I think that PJ and co were trolling us, considering some of the theories which have done the rounds regarding Kili getting the hots for Tauriel.

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #305 on: December 09, 2013, 05:22:17 AM »
Watched the first part to History Channels Bonnie & Clyde. I was very impressed. Catching part two soon as it's on
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: December 12, 2013, 10:50:50 PM »
Still mad about Azog being alive. Smaug was playing at a local theater today, but one of my friends said he was going to wait until closer to Christmas to watch it with family, so I held off today. *giddy giddy*

Watched "Noroi" (Curse) last night. Was trying to see if I could figure out what was up with the elevator ghost and the goth girl listening to elevators in Pokemon XY. While I was searching, a full-video stream of "Noroi" was posted on one of the sites, so I watched it. Wasn't scary at all (cited by many as a good horror, though) but did get my heart beating a couple times. Some of the actors were really good. Was a captivating -- if not long -- movie; I'd recommend at least watching it once just to see it.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #307 on: December 13, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »
Finally saw Krull, the infamous flop that was almost renamed Dungeons and Dragons: The Movie before it came out in 1983. I'd say overall it's a dumb but harmless bit of fluff that desperately wants to be Star Wars but just isn't. It's interesting in the blend of fantasy and sci-fi that seems to have been a fad in the early-to-mid 80s (The first Zelda was originally going to have you travel to a cyberpunk future for half the game, with the triforce actually being computer chips for example.) I recognized the main actor but couldn't place him, bugged me the whole movie. Turns out he was the slimy traitorous security officer from Deep Space 9.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: December 15, 2013, 02:27:33 AM »
I just watched Desolation of Smaug.

Don't worry, I won't spoil.  :)

Reactions:
Kyaaa~ the elves~ Thranduil, Legolas! fangirling! (Orly B, your age is showing. ahahahaha!) Sorry, Tauriel, I don't care much about you, except for your hair color, which I love. Smaug is the most awesome CG dragon, so far. And as always, the backdrop of New Zealand is stunning.

Story-wise, purists might/will hate PJ's rendition, but for a movie, his vision works. It is faster than the first movie, with lots of action scenes. I felt it should be longer, oh well, I'll wait for the extended edition.

I like it and I can't wait for the final installment next year!
Battle of the 5 armies! Whooooot!
I can't wait to see Thranduil in battle. I want to see more of his katana-like sword in action.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:32 AM »
I saw Desolation of Smaug on Friday and adored it, aside for a few niggles with it, my main one being *that* subplot with Tauriel.  I liked the way she got Legolas outside of Mirkwood, however.  While his presence would be there seeing as hey, he's the Prince of Mirkwood, the extent of it did come across as a bit fanservicey.  I agree that yeah, Orlando Bloom, while still looking very hot as Legolas, is showing his age - he's broader than he used to be.  I felt myself drawn more to Thanduil, who's one magnificent basterd of a character.  He was hot, and played spot on by Lee Pace.  I want his silver robe and boots! :)
  Most of the film was superb, although Beorn's section was a bit too rushed.  Benedict Cuerbatch as Sauron/Smaug was, unsurprisingly, wonderful, and unlike with JRD as Gimli and Treebeard, I didn't find it jarring with him being both characters.  I loved the fighting in the barrels out of bonds scene, and in Laket own.  Stephen Fry was likewise brilliant as the Master of Lake town, with a smidge of Lord Melchett in there I thought (for anyone here familiar with Blackadder).  The Battle of Five Armies is going to be glorious! 

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #310 on: December 15, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »
Akira and Ghost in the Shell. both of them are crazy  :o So Akira... I use to read the manga back in highschool way back when but they took it away for some reason which sucked because I never got the whole story big mangas as well to so to see the movie for the first time was awesome. The fact that tai from digimon voiced tetsuo threw me off guard as of course we have the johnny young black power ranger doing what he does best and yeah this movie was awesome and sick sometimes like the hell man kind of sick towards the end at least.

I effing love me some Kusunagi to me one of my favorite anime gals not because she's hot well come on she is but because she kicks so much butt that someone probably went blind from her. The only problem I feel asleep so... But yeah Kusunagi is my favorite purple/dark haired anime woman or at least near the dang top. and this is my first time watching the movie as well since I watched the series on and off on adult swim last time I checked I was young too so I could not stay up as late as I could to iirc.

But yeah just because I feel like it

(click to show/hide)

I would say  put some pants on but she seems to know what's she's doing  :P
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:51:37 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #311 on: December 15, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
I was planning to see The Desolation of Smaug this weekend... but that was until a particularly unpleasant digestive condition hit. Shiroi, seraph, would you consider it a "must-recommend" for someone who was a bit underwhelmed by what the first movie offered? I'll be seeing it anyways (Middle Earth is always good fun, and I can't miss a PJ movie), but I'd like to know what to expect.

Stephen Fry was likewise brilliant as the Master of Lake town, with a smidge of Lord Melchett in there I thought (for anyone here familiar with Blackadder).
Blackadder, eh? I'd thought no one remembered that series... Something of a small comedic masterpiece, it was.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: December 15, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
I felt myself drawn more to Thanduil, who's one magnificent basterd of a character.  He was hot, and played spot on by Lee Pace.  I want his silver robe and boots! :)

Yu,p spot on. I had internal fangirlish screams when he first showed up of screen. That look! oh my.... ♥
Let's share, keep his fabulous robe and boot, I'll take his weapons, staff included. Hehehehe.

Most of the film was superb, although Beorn's section was a bit too rushed.

I have a feeling the extended edition would feature more of their stay there.

The Battle of Five Armies is going to be glorious! 

Yes! I want to see the Elven Elk again.

I was planning to see The Desolation of Smaug this weekend... but that was until a particularly unpleasant digestive condition hit. Shiroi, seraph, would you consider it a "must-recommend" for someone who was a bit underwhelmed by what the first movie offered? I'll be seeing it anyways (Middle Earth is always good fun, and I can't miss a PJ movie), but I'd like to know what to expect.

The film is 2 hrs. 41 mins. Make sure you can tolerate that with your digestive system. It is better than the first movie, in my opinion and it will keep you on your toes for the last movie.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #313 on: December 16, 2013, 07:54:45 PM »
Just watched Monsters University today...and I'll be watching Desolation of Smaug tomorrow!

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2013, 05:40:17 AM »
Blackadder, eh? I'd thought no one remembered that series... Something of a small comedic masterpiece, it was.

How can someone forget Blackadder?  It's a comedic masterpiece, darn right!  Nothing else can portray Elizabeth I as an immature, silly child in an adult body quite the same way. :) 

As for DoS, I'd say that the pace picks up a heck of a lot more compared to Unexpected Journey, which is a lot closer to the book.  There are some supurb fight scenes, one of which is hilariously brilliant.  It deviates a lot more from the book, but most of the additions are appendices related, aside for the addition of Tauriel, the Mirkwood Captain of the Guard.  I've been discussing the matter of her with others, and they reckon that on closer viewing, the 'Ack no!  That's wrong!  That shouldn't happen!' subplot involving her isn't quite as bad as at first glance.  I plan to see it a second time at some point soon, probably this week.  The 3D isn't a necessary addition, however, it  just adds a nice extra depth of field to the scenes.  I'm curious to see the HFR version to see what the fuss is about.

Yu,p spot on. I had internal fangirlish screams when he first showed up of screen. That look! oh my.... ♥
Let's share, keep his fabulous robe and boot, I'll take his weapons, staff included. Hehehehe.

I have a feeling the extended edition would feature more of their stay there.

*Cackles*  Yup, agreed, we can share.  I already have a claim on Leggy's bow and Arwen's Hadhafang (from FotR), so you can have Thranduil's sword and staff.  Heck, tbh I just want to raid Weta's workshop and run off with as many of the Elven weapons and costumes as I can.  I saw a chunk of the stuff from LotR at a LotR exhibit ten years ago and it was gorgeous.

Shiroi, have you ever encountered a UK company called The Dark Angel?  They do a lovely Elven style coat in copper velvet which looks very heavily inspired by Elrond's Council costume. :)

http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/en/product/486-alphonse-coat

Sorry guys btw for the slow replies.  I have patchy access to the internet at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:44:43 AM by tatteredseraph »

Tags:

anything