Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Encore of the night HD sprite RIP?  (Read 5322 times)

Offline Vook

• Awards
Encore of the night HD sprite RIP?
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:57:25 PM »
Has anyone tried ripping the new sprites from that puzzle game?
the new Alucard looks pretty amazing. And they seem to have redrawn quite a lot of that old sprite set. Attack, magic, idle and death animations are there for sure. I doubt the walking ones are included, as they are never used.

but still... trying to rip it with screenshots is gonna take ages. Maybe someone tried extracting data from the game file? or dumping device memory and scanning it for images? or anything else?

please tell me somebody succeeded at this! :) I so wanna get my hands on those sprites :)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
It is a pretty high-res sprite.. but there's something awkward about the way it animates (mainly the cloak). Doesn't seem as smooth as his SotN counterpart...

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »
Hmmmm.... looking at those they look pretty nice. I wonder if they have the full set for Alucard from SOTN? If they did I might be interested in putting it into my hack.  8)
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »
I didn't even know about this game! Yeah, the upgraded Alucard sprites are boss!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Gemini

• Maria's Pimp
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Falling!!
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 03:01:42 AM »
Interesting concept, poorly executed. NEXT HD GAME!

Offline Vook

• Awards
Re: Encore of the night HD sprite RIP?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 04:08:44 AM »
well,

I tried playing with the "ipa" file. there's a "game.sp" file inside. which is were all the graphics seems to be located. it's 11 megs. looking inside revelas that this file actually contains multiple other files. primarily - PNG images.  I was able to extract 260 PNG files from there. but that's only about 3 megabytes. what's with the other eight? those 260 PNGs indeed contain some ingame graphics. but most of the level layouts and most importantly SPRITES are not there. to make things worse, a good half of those 260 PNGs is somehow corrupted. like there is something preventing the file from decompressing correctly. you can see a part of the image and the rest is a mess, though sometimes you can clearly see the remainder of the image, but the colors are all wrong or pixels positions are shifted. I assume that whatever put those PNGs together in one file, inserts some kind of delimiter or other service information in the resulting "sp"-file., so that simply cutting that file to pieces won't give you the correct PNGs all the time. sometime you'll also get those "markers" or whatever they are and they'll screw the whole thing up.

Strange thing is that some sprites are among the 260 after all. there's some for Grim Reaper (corrupted unfortunately) and some other minor stuff. This makes me think that all the graphics are probably stored as PNGs. but the fact that there are only 260 in plain sight might suggest, there might be some kind of storage optimization (like storing a single header for multiple files). anyway this all still requires lots of analysis.

If anyone has any information on this - please contribute. (any rom hacking/reverse engineering experts out there?)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:17:10 AM by Vook »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:17:11 AM »
what's with the other eight?

I'd wager the music and sounds. They are typically the largest chunk of data in a game.

Offline Vook

• Awards
Re: Encore of the night HD sprite RIP?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
sounds - definitely. But music is stored in separate mp3 files, which are easily accessible.
and sounds cannot occupy that much space. there is not that many sound effects in that game. I bet most of those 8 megs are graphics, which are missing from the 260 PNG files I was able to extract.

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 07:08:20 PM »
sounds - definitely. But music is stored in separate mp3 files, which are easily accessible.
and sounds cannot occupy that much space. there is not that many sound effects in that game. I bet most of those 8 megs are graphics, which are missing from the 260 PNG files I was able to extract.

Is it possible that the graphics use a BGR order, instead of RGB like in symphony of the night? This could make them look incorrect and switch up. Also try using tile molester or tiledggd to look at the game files. They will let you adjust the images some so that they may not look so scrambled.
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Tags:

anything