Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: (CONCEPT) 8-bit Castlevania  (Read 27819 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
All the current 2D CV games used 99% 4bit imagery, with the exception of Adventure Rebirth.

Maybe this is why Adventure ReBirth plays so goddamn slow on the Dolphine Wii Emulator.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
The alt weapon is useful for slow, direct attacks like the whip. The combat cross has substantially less range, but allows Richter to attack in multiple directions
So i take it you are not going for the way LoS portrays the Combat cross then? because if I recall, Gabriel's Cross gets some pretty good range.

if you want something with short range, the regular leather whip in classicvanias has crappy range. (until you get the two chain upgrades)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: (CONCEPT) 8-bit Castlevania
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 02:16:42 PM »
nope, combat cross. because it has **dynamic attacks**

most likely will be animated kinda like that

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »

Those animations look tight, but you do realize it's probably gonna take TONS of each animation for every movement of your character to get it looking right. And also if you remember, Gabriel's Combat Cross also retracts into itself. Most likely you will have to custom animated that yourself. I thought this was a 8-Bit game? If this is the case, you may want to look at simplier 8-bit titles such as Bionic Commando for advanced gameplay mechanics...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 04:25:50 PM »

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters4/whipwhip2.gif
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters4/whip-hardslash.gif

Whip (above KOF character) uses a whip....... like normal Belmonts. The short length is just her having coiled it. Same can be done with the normal Vampire Killer.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 04:55:18 PM »

That doesnt look too short.
And the second sprite is her with the whip coile partially in her hand...

So, Dynamic attacks, but to get dynamic attacks like Gabriel's Combat cross, it NEEDS length. you cant make such dynamic attacks with a short whip.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
That doesnt look too short.
And the second sprite is her with the whip coile partially in her hand...

So, Dynamic attacks, but to get dynamic attacks like Gabriel's Combat cross, it NEEDS length. you cant make such dynamic attacks with a short whip.

yeah i can
don't worry about it;

Those animations look tight, but you do realize it's probably gonna take TONS of each animation for every movement of your character to get it looking right. And also if you remember, Gabriel's Combat Cross also retracts into itself. Most likely you will have to custom animated that yourself. I thought this was a 8-Bit game? If this is the case, you may want to look at simplier 8-bit titles such as Bionic Commando for advanced gameplay mechanics...

no

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 08:28:03 PM »
yeah i can
don't worry about it;

no
Kinda lost on the "no", is this not an 8-bit title. Also the advice was just on some possible situations that you may run into the future, if you are planning on doing such advanced animations and techniques for your game....

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
Kinda lost on the "no", is this not an 8-bit title. Also the advice was just on some possible situations that you may run into the future, if you are planning on doing such advanced animations and techniques for your game....

it's an '8-bit' title in that it uses fairly low res graphics, it's not an 8-bit game meaning i don't give a fuck about the NES' limitations on colors per line or anything else like that

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 03:28:50 PM »
it's an '8-bit' title in that it uses fairly low res graphics, it's not an 8-bit game meaning i don't give a fuck about the NES' limitations on colors per line or anything else like that
Ok, that was what I was wondering. Cool, so basically it just uses a low res color palette? Ok, there's difference then. So it's not a NES 8-bit game. Are you going to custom sprite the main character off those KOF sprites?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:41:20 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:39 PM »
i'm going to use them as animation references

this is what the richter sprite looks like

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 11:21:44 PM »
Nice. I assume the pixel shifting with Richter won't happen in-game, but what will the differences between the red and the normal steel whip be?

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 11:35:46 PM »
you actually

will not get to use the vampire killer whip in the game.
it gets stolen. the red whip is called Belmonts Soul, and this is what the info is:

Belmonts Soul
Without the Vampire Killer, Richter is capable of manifesting a temporary copy of it's combat abilities through his supernatural talents that are gained from his bloodline.
A powerful strike formed of magic, while it's not match for the real Vampire Killer, it's a suitable backup when there are no other options.

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »
SUBWEAPON CONCEPTS:

SUB WEAPONS
At the beginning of each stage, players choose two subweapons to take with them, each with a different function. Rather than use hearts as currency, subweapons
- Either have limited number of uses that can be replenished somehow
-Have a 'cooldown' on subweapons between uses.

ALL GRAPHICS ARE NOT FINAL[/U]

if you don't see something here, assume it's not in the game.
yes, the holy water does not function like it traditionally does

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »
The holy water pic looks like....... Like he's putting out a campfire.

I had a similar idea for holy water in my game I'll eventually make. As for the axe, you can download my NES-Style Engine (in these forums) and copy the obj_Item code.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags: