Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Megaman 4 to Belmonts Revenge-like game idea (Romhack)  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Megaman 4 to Belmonts Revenge-like game idea (Romhack)
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »
I was taking a look around at some Romhacking tools and interestingly enough I stumbled across this editor:

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/564/

So putting in the work there it would be possible to edit the tiles and enemies to resemble what is in Belmonts Revenge might be accomplished using that. Now for the music:

http://www.romhacking.net/documents/634/

That of course will be tougher to get along with editing the actual Megaman sprites to resemble Christopher Belmont. The way to do this would be to use Tile Molester, find each Megaman sprite and edit it:

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/109/

If you open the Megaman 4 ROM you can see Megaman's face and body are both separate. What really would need to be done to resemble a Castlevania character such as Christopher Belmont would be for the head and body to be more proportional. I think carefully this could be done.

The final part I don't know is doable and would be very hard if it is. See Megaman doesn't use a Melee weapon. He uses a gun and every weapon he obtains in Megaman 4 with the exception of Toad Man's Rain Flush and Bright Man's Time Stopper is a gun. The only way a whip could become the weapon is to somehow create a Melee Weapon out of Ring Man's Boomerangish weapon using ASM and make the collision right. This would also have to be the main weapon. This is the part that's the trickiest.

Some other issues include: No candles, No Time Meter, and how the bosses will function.

Anyways that's a basic blueprint I have for it. I don't know if I could do it or would do it but its an idea nonetheless.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Megaman 4 to Belmonts Revenge-like game idea (Romhack)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »
More importantly, could you share with us why you want to do it using a Megaman game as a base and what you plan to do? It would be easier to give tips after knowing that. :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:56:22 AM »
One of the main reasons I considered it is because Castlevania Adventure: Belmonts Revenge has smaller sprites (probably comparable to the size of Megaman on NES) as well as a Stage Select which Belmonts Revenge also has. I figure it would be easier to use the traits of a Megaman Game to ROM hack rather than a Castlevania game.

Probably the easiest solution would be to start from scratch though and use an engine away from any type of ROM hacking. Though since I use Linux, I would likely have to come up with something other than the Windows only utilities like Game Maker. I know Leadwerks is one and Pygame is another.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »
I've a idea, let me know what you think about it: hack Belmont's Revenge and use it as a base, improving what you think would be better in your own way. Its doable?

Also I've never heard of Leadwerks and Pygame, Pygame uses python? Also which distro you are using right now? :p
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
I've a idea, let me know what you think about it: hack Belmont's Revenge and use it as a base, improving what you think would be better in your own way. Its doable?

Also I've never heard of Leadwerks and Pygame, Pygame uses python? Also which distro you are using right now? :p

Yeah Pygame does. I use Ubuntu actually. I was considering switching to Arch Linux but it just seems like Ubuntu seems to be getting more packages which are easier to install. Though I suppose its not too hard to go ctrl,alt,t and type in commands if you really need to.

Yeah its doable depending on if you could figure out the ASM for Gameboy. But it just seems like that would be pretty hard. Maybe going the custom route would be best.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
Truly sad, I doesnt know anything about hacking, so I dont know which route would be better (Belmont Revenge or Megaman) :(

Good luck with your project, since it seems to be a expanded idea from Belmont Revenge castles. You plan to add "E-Meats" instead of them being usable instantly at touch?

Thanks for the link, I will check it even if I doesnt understand anything about programming. Ubuntu seems to be cool, you use it with Unity DE or another DE? I've heard that Linux Lite is a good Ubuntu variation with some things out-of-the-box, you should check something about it sometime... or Debian   xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:55:30 AM »
Truly sad, I doesnt know anything about hacking, so I dont know which route would be better (Belmont Revenge or Megaman) :(

Good luck with your project, since it seems to be a expanded idea from Belmont Revenge castles. You plan to add "E-Meats" instead of them being usable instantly at touch?

Thanks for the link, I will check it even if I doesnt understand anything about programming. Ubuntu seems to be cool, you use it with Unity DE or another DE? I've heard that Linux Lite is a good Ubuntu variation with some things out-of-the-box, you should check something about it sometime... or Debian   xD

Yeah I use the stock Ubuntu with Unity. Its actually pretty cool everything actually does work out of the box. Most drivers that you need are already there no hunting for them. Only pain to put in is the printer driver which now isn't such a big deal any more.

As for this idea, now that I've actually checked out how hard editing the actual Megaman character would be, for myself I don't think this type of project would work out so well. So I have just been toying around with Megaman 6 just to get the hang of how to do things and to learn better.

Tags:

anything