Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What are your current thoughts on the Dracula X Chronicles?  (Read 21079 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I decided to replay that game, since it had been months since I last played any Castlevania. I still wholly dig the arranged version. There's a ton of details they packed into each of the levels, especially the cemetery and the chapel. I also loved how they reworked Rondo's pretty bland clock tower stage into something much more impressive.

On the other hand, I had forgotten how corny the dialog was. Richter is mostly competent and the voice actor who is playing Shaft is obviously relishing the cheese, but everyone else made me cringe. Looking back, I was in love with the music, but now I definitely prefer the Rondo originals. Bloody Tears and Divine Bloodlines both stand out in how bland their new versions are.

Even though the emulation was pitiful, I still dig having the original Rondo. When I'm on the bus or taking the train, it's still a joy to have a portable Rondo.

It's a shame it didn't sell as well as it deserved. I pity the fools who found Rondo too hard and only wanted SotN, but I think they had a point that having SotN so proudly advertised on the back and not having it available from the start was a little strange. I figured they would have included an options menu a la Castlevania Chronicles, where you could adjust as to how easy (or hard) you wanted the game.

And as painfully average as it was, I think DXX should have been the other unlockable for the more hardcore types. I was actually hoping it would be on there.

So what do you all think?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:16:30 PM by beingthehero »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: What are you current thoughts on the Dracula X Chronicles?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
I liked it, as well as some of the other awesome 2.5D games on the PSP, but I really would have preferred it on the PS2. I was kind of mad that they didn't port it when they ported the very sub par Silent Hill Origins; it's really something I'd enjoy much more on a TV. (That annoying ass TV cable for the PSP doesn't count.)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Oh man, I was like 90% certain it would be brought over to the PS2 because of SH origins. I'd love to play the game on a TV.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »
I was actually just playing this game a few hours ago (I've been on a bit of a CV kick recently). To be honest, I rather like the game. I still remember my face when I realized Dracula had a 3rd form (I loved that fight a lot to be honest) because honestly, I thought the fight was going to be played straight.  

I also loved all the other little things they packed into the title, like bosses making snide/taunting/creepy remarks if you got a game over during the boss fight, and speaking of those,  I love that they added that you have to fight Annette if you don't save her, just like in DXX...even if she did look more like a succubus than a vampire) and I have a good time playing the game in general. I missed the cut scene where Dracula spoke to Annette though. Dunno why, but I wish it would have been there, more so since they added the small cut scene showing Shaft kidnap her in the first place. I liked that Dracula was taking a 'it's personal' approach when it came to her and just seemingly messing with Richter so it would have been nice to see.

The VA's didn't really bother me, though some of them were pretty cringe worthy, lol. As for the music, I rather like the soundtrack with Vampire Killer, Slash, and Daybreak being my favorites. Some of the songs are lacking however and I outright hate the first rendition of Cemetery and I'm not too fond of Opus 13 either (which sucks because that's my favorite tune from the game).

I've always liked Rondo and SOTN so having them was a perk but I can agree: I wasn't exactly sure why they needed to be unlockable. I just assumed it was a 'way' to make sure you played the remix version of the game. It didn't bother me though: it just gave me something else to shoot for while playing the remake other than saving the girls. As for DXX, I wish it had been included as well. Yes, it does pale in comparison in most people's eyes to the original Rondo..and dagnab, was it hard. But it's still part of the collect (or at least, I think) and it would have been nice to have.

This game honestly is one of the few reasons I even still even own a PSP and was the reason I went and about the component cables just so I could play it on my t.v. I was honestly hoping that this will be one of the titles that gets ported to the PS3 in HD...though I doubt it entirely. Still, it would be nice if it was ported to a home console so more people could experience it.

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:40:38 PM »
I just could not play it WITH. A. PSP.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
DXC was probably my favorite entry in the series. I'm not saying its because of SotN on the go (though that's a contributing factor), it's because the holy grail of the Castlevania series finally came to America, in a full remake no less! THAT is what gave me hope in Iga. That he could possibly remake more games like this and he said if DXC is successful enough, he will make more games in its style.

Honestly though, I liked the remake. However, they should have improved the fluidity of the controls, you know? The gameplay worked great in Rondo and the other 2D games, but it just feels primitive with 3D character models. They should have given Richter and Maria the ability to fully control their jumps. Midair, they could have had a downward-forward attack. Richter could have had the ability to run.

I also would have liked alternate costumes. Like Rick getting his original RoB and SotN outfits as unlockables and Maria getting her original RoB (<----though it would not have worked) and an adaption of her SotN outfit for the kid version of her.

Overall, though, I loved the game as a whole, and the voice acting in it is boss. And I will agree, some tracks on the OST were bland compared to the original, but some were amazing (Vampire Killer, Cemetery, Ghost Ship Painting, Cross Fear, Slash), and the slew of new tracks was cool (MoonFight, Red Dawn, Tues Deus meus).
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:25:43 PM »
I still haven't played it, but from what I saw, it's not close to being as good as the original. Even the OST is lacking, or it doesn't sound as good as the original. I have played Rob twice, and it's prolly my favorite CV after SOTN.
It's still a nice addition to the series. They should make more games in 2.5D. I don't mind if it's a remake, but I really wanna see an entirely new CV game done using that technique .Maybe they can make the Alucardvania game in 2.5D? I would love to see that happen.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »
I still haven't played it, but from what I saw, it's not close to being as good as the original. Even the OST is lacking, or it doesn't sound as good as the original. I have played Rob twice, and it's prolly my favorite CV after SOTN.
It's still a nice addition to the series. They should make more games in 2.5D. I don't mind if it's a remake, but I really wanna see an entirely new CV game done using that technique .Maybe they can make the Alucardvania game in 2.5D? I would love to see that happen.

Well, since I played DXC first, I'm admitting that I like it better than RoB.
Are you talking about the Alucard game that was cancelled in favor of LoS? Cuz I'd really love to see a 3D adaption of Al with his cape and everything. :D
Anyone else which the SNES game Dracula X was included in DXC? I felt it was complete because it was missing that game.

By the way, Odile, I love your sig.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 07:59:10 PM »
I TOTALLY wanted the SNES' Dracula XX. I mean, this is "Chronicles," so it's incomplete without it. (I am of the minority who like it better than Rondo, ironically, and consider it very much a part of Dracula X lore). While I'd played through SotN, DXC was my first time playing Rondo in any form. I played through both Arranged and Original modes. It's a solid game, and I love it's variety and scope. However, for someone playing Rondo for the first time, some of the level design seemed a bit trite and stunted, IMO. The map system, which allows you to backtrack and switch at any time, felt almost a little too friendly and forgiving--made the game design feel a little loose compared to the consequences of Dracula's Curse or Dracula XX (I love the Arranged map's look, though). I feel that the PSP-style of 2.5-D Castlevania could really be expanded upon and improved with an original Castlevania game, but found DXC to be fun and serviceable. That's all for now.

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »
Yeah I'm talking about that game who got cancelled. I guess 3D could work too, but since I'm not sure if the IGA team can pull it off nicely,I think I'll stick with 2.5D.

Lol this is the second time someone makes a compliment about my sig, and in the same day. I guess it's a  pretty nice sig I got there  :D.
 I just love the face that Dracula makes when he gets kicked in the balls XD
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:04:20 PM by Odile Kuronuma »

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
Yeah I'm talking about that game who got cancelled. I guess 3D could work too, but since I'm not sure if the IGA team can pull it off nicely,I think I'll stick with 2.5D.

Well, I meant the character model. 2.5D games are 3D characters on 2D backgrounds, with a few 3D pieces here and there.

I TOTALLY wanted the SNES' Dracula XX. I mean, this is "Chronicles," so it's incomplete without it. (I am of the minority who like it better than Rondo, ironically, and consider it very much a part of Dracula X lore). While I'd played through SotN, DXC was my first time playing Rondo in any form. I played through both Arranged and Original modes. It's a solid game, and I love it's variety and scope. However, for someone playing Rondo for the first time, some of the level design seemed a bit trite and stunted, IMO. The map system, which allows you to backtrack and switch at any time, felt almost a little too friendly and forgiving--made the game design feel a little loose compared to the consequences of Dracula's Curse or Dracula XX (I love the Arranged map's look, though). I feel that the PSP-style of 2.5-D Castlevania could really be expanded upon and improved with an original Castlevania game, but found DXC to be fun and serviceable. That's all for now.
I agree with this. SotN was really easy cuz a lot of the stuff it had (Go Esco!), and the UMD set could've used Dracula X on it. It would've made it complete.

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:10:37 PM »
Peke is better than Dracula X. Hoo!

DXC is good. The ports within are sub-par, but the remake itself is mostly quality. It doesn't match up to Rondo or anything, but it's a cool alternate version for when you feel like it. There are a few definite improvements, like the third phase of the Dracula battle, which is nice to see in a reworking like this. Sometimes it misses the point egregiously though, like not playing Poison Mind during the CV1 boss rush, and I just don't get it. Rondo is practically perfect in every area of its design, so naturally it comes out on top, even aside from me preferring its aesthetics on a fundamental level. You just can't improve on genius no matter how you dress it up.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
Peke is better than Dracula X. Hoo!

DXC is good. The ports within are sub-par, but the remake itself is mostly quality. It doesn't match up to Rondo or anything, but it's a cool alternate version for when you feel like it. There are a few definite improvements, like the third phase of the Dracula battle, which is nice to see in a reworking like this. Sometimes it misses the point egregiously though, like not playing Poison Mind during the CV1 boss rush, and I just don't get it. Rondo is practically perfect in every area of its design, so naturally it comes out on top, even aside from me preferring its aesthetics on a fundamental level. You just can't improve on genius no matter how you dress it up.

Original RoB alternate stage 5. Compare it to DXC's alternate stage 5. You'll see how terrible RoB looks in comparison when it comes to level design. DXC also added the Hydra and Annette boss battles, which was awesome.

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
Stage 5' is a bored developer's joke to begin with. It's intentionally made as ridiculously tough as possible, hastily assembled from existing assets. I can't but love it for that. Trying to make it a "legitimate" stage is kind of... point-missing, which I mentioned. Op. 13 is preferable to Red Dawn any day of the week, too.

Offline Dominus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: What are your current thoughts on the Dracula X Chronicles?
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
I think that DXC is the second best game remake of all time, only bested by REmake.

Tags: