Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Kid friendly Castlevanias?  (Read 9267 times)

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:46:33 PM »
+2
I've recently become the proud father of a beautiful baby girl ;D

Anyhoo, as with any gamer that becomes a parent, I plan on eventually weaning her into the gaming culture. Of course, being a Cv fan, I'd love to introduce her to the Cv series. But, there's a problem. I figure the first Cv she plays will have to not be anything scary. I figured for that the original 8-bit titles would be great, but then the problem with those is that they can be really difficult, especially for a young child (around 4 or 5 I suppose, considering my little bro beat Super Mario when he was 4).

So, anyone care to throw out some suggestions on what could be viewed as a kid friendly Cv? (other than Kid Dracula of course)
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:52:45 PM »
I'd say Portrait of Ruin is pretty kid-friendly, provided that she doesn't go anywhere near Nest of Evil of course. (Gergoth)
Oh, and I also think Aria of Sorrow doesn't have that much scary-nasties.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:54:17 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Kid friendly Castlevanias?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
Congrats!

I would say DoS has a very light-hearted atmosphere that isn't too scary. Though, some bosses might be a little frightening.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »
+1
I would say DoS has a very light-hearted atmosphere that isn't too scary. Though, some bosses might be a little frightening.
The most notable ones are Puppet Master and Gergoth (again).
And why do I keep mentioning Gergoth, you ask? Because I don't think a phallic zombie dino is anywhere close to being kid-friendly. :-X
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:03:16 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »
congratulations and what a fun post to ponder.  i grew up with a sister 10 years younger than me.  i don't remember her getting into the Castlevania games i played, but it didn't take her long to beat me in Street Fighter.  one thing that she loved was playing as a girl character that she could relate to, first Chun Li, and then even more so, Sakura.  perhaps along the same lines a game with a young girl protagonist who you're daughter could relate to might be the right thing.  guess that would have to be Maria in Rondo of Blood or Portrait of Ruin, or Carrie in C64 and Legacy of Darkness.  of course, there's plenty of scary stuff in any Castlevania game, so I don't know what the proper age is for introducing this is.  i guess it depends on the individual.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
Grats man!
Super Castlevania 4 I would think is great for kids. Play through it again and see if you find anything objectionable. But it's the right difficulty for someone starting to game and it has a password system so she won't get frustrated.
I would also suggest watching some of the universal horror movies that inspired Castlevania to help give her a taste for the atmosphere and just because a lot of the movies, especially the Frankenstein and Wolf Man's, are a lot of fun. Though she might be a little young at 4 or 5 and of course you could watch it with her mother first to see if you both approve.
The Original Dracula Trailer (1931)

congratulations and what a fun post to ponder.  i grew up with a sister 10 years younger than me.  i don't remember her getting into the Castlevania games i played, but it didn't take her long to beat me in Street Fighter.  one thing that she loved was playing as a girl character that she could relate to, first Chun Li, and then even more so, Sakura.  perhaps along the same lines a game with a young girl protagonist who you're daughter could relate to might be the right thing.  guess that would have to be Maria in Rondo of Blood or Portrait of Ruin, or Carrie in C64 and Legacy of Darkness.  of course, there's plenty of scary stuff in any Castlevania game, so I don't know what the proper age is for introducing this is.  i guess it depends on the individual.
Excellent suggestions! I think an unlocked Carrie from LoD would be good. And yeah if she gets scared just give it a break for a few years, don't want to give her nightmares or anything. Different people have different sensitivities when they're young. Though I think the vast majority of the "horror" in Castlevania is strictly fun semi-goofy Halloween fair.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:11:17 PM by Ratty »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
Congratulations!!! I'd say the most kid friendly CV is RoB Maria mode. It has cute animals, bubbly letters when you die, happy music, and a much more cutesy ending. 

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »
perhaps along the same lines a game with a young girl protagonist who you're daughter could relate to might be the right thing.
While Charlotte from PoR may be older than Maria and Carrie, I think she also fits the bill. 
^^

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »
just be sure to skip past the sacrifice scenes in Rondo of Blood and Legacy of Darkness!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 07:10:06 PM »
The Kid Dracula games?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »
LOL Crisis that's just, wow XD great.

That reminds me that there's also "Hasslevania: The Quest For Shuteye" a freeware fan parody game I've not played much but looks to be very kid friendly.
Hasslevania Game Play
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:17:41 PM by Ratty »

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Kid friendly Castlevanias?
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 07:17:36 PM »
The most notable ones are Puppet Master and Gergoth (again).
And why do I keep mentioning Gergoth, you ask? Because I don't think a phallic zombie dino is anywhere close to being kid-friendly. :-X
Funny. They're the two bosses I was thinking of.  ;D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »
Aside from the horror factor that you might be concerned with I had more in mind the profanity. PoR had some light swearing in it so I'm not sure if that's a game for her to get into as she might hear that and say it after. I'd start her off on the NES titles first. CV I would be a good start as the enemies come off as more comedic then horrific. CV II would be the easiest out of the three to start off with as well if CV I is too hard for her.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything