Poll

Do you prefer the original Rondo of Blood or Dracula X Chronicles?

Rondo of Blood (PCE)
11 (55%)
Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
5 (25%)
I love them both equally
4 (20%)
I don't like Castlevania games
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: RoB or DXC?  (Read 18625 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
+1
So, since I forgot to include a poll in the correspondent thread, I am making this new one, with poll included.
I advise everyone who posted to vote here, otherwise, I am not responsible for what harm the fairy godmother of the forest may bring upon thyselves.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »
+1
I'm on the majority here  ;D
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »
NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOO

Try to use this feature in the already existing thread, if this works then we dont even will need to do another thread.

P.S.: I need better glasses, for real, so I dont know how I found this lol

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 10:40:25 PM »
+1
Too late, admins already merged topics.
Maybe they can merge both RoB or DXC topics too?
Thanks, anyway, both to Lely-San and admins.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 10:44:28 PM »
+3
Just to be a smart guy I choose DxC why? Because I get three games Dxc,Rob, SotN  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
+1
Oh no, that doesn't count! You have to choose between RoB and DXC, only the new game! PUN PUN! >:(

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »
+2
I merged the topics and removed Lely's repeat posts :D I think this was my first actual Moderator action!! :D :D :D

I also voted :3 I like DXC better, cause it has RoB (and SoTN) included XD Seriously though, I think they did a good job with the extra stages and bosses, especially Drac's third form, which was more challenging that he was originally IMO.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 10:59:51 PM »
I'm gonna go DXC but both games top my list of favorite CVs and I love them both for different reasons.

I love the sprite work, graphics, and sounds from Rondo. It's truly a time capsule of where games were at at the time. It was a bit of a turning point for the series and really bridged the gap between the classic and more exploration based titles. I keep a copy of Rondo on my iPhone at all times just in case. ;)

DXC is a great reimaginjng of the game. It's not a carbon copy with prettier graphics and remixed music (althoigh imo the game's effing beautiful!) it's actually like playing a whole new game in some ways. Its a lot darker in tone for one, which is one thing I never liked about Rondo. Everything was so bright, too much, considering the plot. I like the redone versions of some of the stages, particularly Stage 4, thr prison/torture chamber level. That level was always dull to me in Rondo but they gave it a whole new lease on life in DXC. Stage 5' was also incredibly well done. I loved the 2.5d graphics and relished all the little details they put in in some places. The ice and frost in the Dullahan's chamber, the bloody room you fight thr Succubus in in 5', the incredible backgrounds in stage 7, even the little redux of each stage on the stage select screen.

So I love both games, but DXC edges out Rondo. But they're both amazing games!

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
Some years ago, I recall there was a lot of people complaining about how Maria didn't fit the Castlevania atmosphere and ruined the game (both in Rondo and DXC).

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 04:48:54 AM »
Some years ago, I recall there was a lot of people complaining about how Maria didn't fit the Castlevania atmosphere and ruined the game (both in Rondo and DXC).

Really, that much hate for an optional character?
As far as I know, Maria was created to make the game easier for those who have a hard time playing as Richter.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
As far as I know, Maria was created to make the game easier for those who have a hard time playing as Richter.

What? So thats why I felt overpowered then...
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »
What I've never figured out is why they made playing as Maria the overpowered Easy mode. I think if I was designing the game I would have done the opposite. The Belmonts are made out in the storyline to be the choices to stop Dracula, so why is it that Maria, Nathan Graves, and Alucard are flat-out better at their jobs than they are?

Might be overthinking this.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
Storyline considerations probably aren't at the top of the list when creating an intentionally comedic, absurdly light-hearted bonus mode. The real triumph in Maria's implementation is that it can potentially be just as fun and rewarding to play as her as with the designated main character, due to the care put into her unique mechanics, arsenal and presentation of her adventure. That is a precious thing within this series and elsewhere.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 10:33:22 PM »
Storyline considerations probably aren't at the top of the list when creating an intentionally comedic, absurdly light-hearted bonus mode. The real triumph in Maria's implementation is that it can potentially be just as fun and rewarding to play as her as with the designated main character, due to the care put into her unique mechanics, arsenal and presentation of her adventure. That is a precious thing within this series and elsewhere.
Oh yeah! I just love, LOVE! the way she behaves when you take control of her. It's so dinamic and fluid! It's like Carrie in LoD, everything flows so well! She's fast, quick, powerful and possesses a great agility.

What I've never figured out is why they made playing as Maria the overpowered Easy mode. I think if I was designing the game I would have done the opposite. The Belmonts are made out in the storyline to be the choices to stop Dracula, so why is it that Maria, Nathan Graves, and Alucard are flat-out better at their jobs than they are?

Might be overthinking this.
Perhaps it is because Alucard is not human.
In Maria's case, because her tiny body allows her to move fastly, and she also can summon many powers.

I've heard that too, but yes, lots of people complained because "she ruined the challenge", or other stupid things to that effect.

What? So thats why I felt overpowered then...
We all felt that  ;D

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »
Just to be a smart guy I choose DxC why? Because I get three games Dxc,Rob, SotN  :P
Curses you beat me to it! This is like saying the CV Double Pack is the greatest GBA CV game hahahaha

Anyways I chose DXC. I feel DXC runs more smoothly than its original counterpart(that could just be me though). I just feel DXC took RoB and improved it. Both are great regardless.

Tags:

anything