Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Regarding Ericard  (Read 34101 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: The stealing, plagiarizing user called Ericard :)
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
Can we make a "THIEF" award? ;D

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
One doesn't learn without consequences...I think it's just a matter of avoiding overkill. whatever exactly that means in this case.

Change someones forum credentials?  That'd be kinda funny! X-D

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2015, 01:01:35 AM »
I lol'd. Thank you. :D

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2015, 03:20:53 AM »

This is a very good idea, but as I see it some people are too sensitive and maybe "THIEF" should be "PLAGIARIST" award.
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »
This is a very good idea, but as I see it some people are too sensitive and maybe "THIEF" should be "PLAGIARIST" award.

Who cares if a "Thief" is sensitive?

The only people that should be sensitive are the ones that have their work stolen.

But I get your point...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2015, 10:09:25 AM »
If a person is a thief then they shouldn't get anything for it. No rewards, no nothing as it might make things worse.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »
This thread targets a single user and encourages other members to follow and attack him and thus far the moderators have only either contributed to it or laughed.

Well, I understand where you're coming from, but as I've mentioned, Ericard has earned some opprobrium, and the hope is that a public grilling like this will get him to change his ways. If it doesn't, us mods will discuss it and see what we can do.

That said, I agree with X, a "Thief" or "plagiarist" award might just encourage people to do that stuff so they get the "honor." You know how some people are  :rollseyes:

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Aelfwine

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 2nd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2015, 01:16:39 PM »
Well, I understand where you're coming from, but as I've mentioned, Ericard has earned some opprobrium, and the hope is that a public grilling like this will get him to change his ways. If it doesn't, us mods will discuss it and see what we can do.

Wait, what?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it part of the job of moderators to prevent users from being grilled by other members?
ericard was/is still a member of this forum. For the moderators to be endorsing a policy of shaming users when they step out of line instead of making every attempt to settle things amicably is a bit wrongheaded don't you think. Besides it's not your job to force him to change his ways. If he refuses to follow the rules he gets banned but this crusade against him should have been quashed by moderators a long time ago.

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2015, 01:29:33 PM »
If someone do idiotic stuff like that they should be punished. In our case he deserves to get exposed in ALL possible ways about "his" work everywhere.

With his refusal to remove the sprite from "his" game he, at least for me, is no longer a real member of this community.

The sprite is not even mine and I raged like mad when I saw what he did and how he refuses to remove this sprite.

I will "hunt" him down :D
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2015, 01:42:08 PM »
instead of making every attempt to settle things amicably is a bit wrongheaded don't you think.

That's the thing, we *have* tried to settle this amicably. People have repeatedly told Ericard that what he's doing is wrong, I've spoken to him about the immorality of plagiarism, but nothing seems to be getting through to him. You're correct in saying we could just ban him, but as Jorge said earlier, that might keep him from ripping people off here, but then he could just go somewhere else and do the same thing. Thus, the hope is that public shaming will really give him the kick he needs to shape up, and ensure he doesn't plagiarize from *anybody,* not just us CVDers. Still, as I also said, us mods will keep an eye on him (and this thread) and take action if things seem to be getting out of hand.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Aelfwine

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2015, 02:17:54 PM »
That's the thing, we *have* tried to settle this amicably. People have repeatedly told Ericard that what he's doing is wrong, I've spoken to him about the immorality of plagiarism, but nothing seems to be getting through to him. You're correct in saying we could just ban him, but as Jorge said earlier, that might keep him from ripping people off here, but then he could just go somewhere else and do the same thing. Thus, the hope is that public shaming will really give him the kick he needs to shape up, and ensure he doesn't plagiarize from *anybody,* not just us CVDers.

And it's not your job to stop him from doing that. It IS your job to stop people from creating threads that personally attack members of these forums, which is what's happened here.

Let me be absolutely clear I'm not defending how he acted, I agree that what he has done is wrong, but I also think that this misguided notion that ericard has to be "grilled" to change his ways is equally wrong. It hasn't made any headway so far and it never will. Frankly I think the moderators haven't done their job. If you spoke to ericard and he refused to follow the rules  he should have been banned and this thread should have been locked or removed for encouraging users to stalk him.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:35:35 PM by Aelfwine »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »
Let me be absolutely clear I'm not defending how he acted, I agree that what he has done is wrong, but I also think that this misguided notion that ericard has to be "grilled" to change his ways is equally wrong. It hasn't made any headway so far and it never will.

Well, now you're simply grasping at straws.

First, it HAS wielded results. First Ericard was happily publishing about his things without any obstacle (and even had people behind him cheering him up). Now he's known as twat by the biggest Castlevania forum. Not mentioning the FB group, where he was banned along with every mention of him or his work, which I'll bet were the best places he could ever speak about his Castlevania-related things.

I call this progress. If he's not willing to change, ALL these people are not willing to forget what he did. Every time his work rises, someone will appear to point at it, and point back at this discussion. The more people know about it, the less inclined/more restrained from showing it he'll be. That is, until the sprite is removed and he learns his mistake.

Second, by saying he "never will" is quite a weak assertion. We don't know that. I personally think he will, simply because he's being publically shamed into complying. If he doesn't, his game won't lift ground, simple as that.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Aelfwine

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
Well, now you're simply grasping at straws.

First, it HAS wielded results. First Ericard was happily publishing about his things without any obstacle (and even had people behind him cheering him up). Now he's known as twat by the biggest Castlevania forum. Not mentioning the FB group, where he was banned along with every mention of him or his work, which I'll bet were the best places he could ever speak about his Castlevania-related things.

I call this progress. If he's not willing to change, ALL these people are not willing to forget what he did. Every time his work rises, someone will appear to point at it, and point back at this discussion. The more people know about it, the less inclined/more restrained from showing it he'll be. That is, until the sprite is removed and he learns his mistake.

Second, by saying he "never will" is quite a weak assertion. We don't know that. I personally think he will, simply because he's being publically shamed into complying. If he doesn't, his game won't lift ground, simple as that.

And if your goal was (presumably) to get ericard to remove the sprite that all amounts to nothing.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »
And if your goal was (presumably) to get ericard to remove the sprite that all amounts to nothing.

That was my primary goal when the discussion was friendly. Now that he derailed it into hostility by being a dumbass, the goal changed: Screwing up his name is the goal. And it's working wonderfully. The end result is not him removing the sprite. The end result is having him not being able to publish about his game without being recognized as thief. So I'm satisfied :)

I'll give you, though, that I'd rather forget about it. I'll do it, but not so early.

If he DOES remove it, though, then I got nothing. I'll stop pursuing this because there will be no reason to further do it. The removal of the sprite is not the main objective anymore, but it indeed would give me no further reason to harass him as a "secondary objective" of sorts, I guess.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2015, 05:04:47 PM »
For someone who just a few weeks ago was going on his own crusade against anybody who made fangames, you're awfully vocal against this crusade against a thief and an asshat.

Pot, meet kettle?

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags: theplottwist 

anything