Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: LRG OSTs  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: August 11, 2023, 11:02:08 PM »
Despite offering up the TMNT soundtracks on CD, vinyl, and cassette independent of any game bundles, Limited Run Games (or Konami) decided to lock the comprehensive three-disc CD set for the Castlevania Advance Collection behind a wallet-pillaging ultimate edition complete with useless trinkets galore. You can buy the records and tapes separately but not the compact discs.

Wondering if anyone has any insight on what to expect from the OSTs. Better recording quality, or will it be the same old botched Konami masters we love to hate? It's frustrating that LRG gives so little info on their soundtracks.

I do know Audi Sorlie had a hand in the TMNT OSTs, so maybe he got to do new recordings of the game music for CV. Wishful thinking.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline ForgemasterWolf

• Ice cream aficionado
  • I got nothing to put in here, so yeah...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2/XBOX)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 07:55:00 AM »
Given that Konami included a high quality soundtrack inside the Advance Collection, they'd probably use that in the game rather than the awful ones Konami put on YouTube and Spotify. As for the tapes, I don't know if they'll use the high quality ones or the old Konami masters because they make think it would make it sound "authentic".

If you want comprehensive Castlevania music then looking at the Limited Run Games stuff is a waste of time tbh, check out the Black and Red box music collection or any of the old ones they did. Unless the LRG one is less expensive than them.

Also, if you have the Advance Collection on Steam you can rip the ones from the collection's sound test by following this guide I made.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2610266506

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 05:34:15 AM »
Better recording quality, or will it be the same old botched Konami masters we love to hate?

Just asking because I don't know:  What was botched with the previous releases?  I've collected most of the official soundtrack CDs, but now that I think about it, I've left most of them sealed and just downloaded the music to burn my own CDs.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 07:55:06 AM »
The GBA OSTs sound really noisy. Staticky, muffled, that sort of thing. Fan rips sound a lot more clear. I get the feeling Konami simply gave LRG the CD master files and called it a day.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 12:50:08 PM »
I asked a similar question of LRG regarding how they source their stuff (as opposed to, say, Mondo....who we know used a CD-rip for at least their CV1 vinyl release). Here's what they said:
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1692236809521054117

When we are given the responsibility or opportunity to source the music ourselves, it is always done direct from hardware; in many cases, though, the publishers will supply their own tracks and we are required to use those.

I've become less and less impressed by LRG in large part because they LOVE to do their "limited" bundled physical releases with a bunch of crap meant to help pad their "Ultimate Editions" that they sell for big bucks. They won't sell individual parts of bundles piecemeal, and they've a history of capitalizing on FOMO to help push sales. Thus, your only hope of getting some items outside of bundles is through likely scalpers on ebay.

I am interested in the vinyl OST releases, though I've also heard word there is to be a better alternative for those on its way in the future to hold out for.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 12:53:21 PM by Sindra »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 03:31:45 PM »
The indirect answer and mention of publishers sometimes supplying their own tracks leads me to believe it's the same shit soup we've been fed before. Konami gonna Konami.

I'm hoping the TMNT OSTs will be good. Audi Sorlie seemed pretty excited about them, and it sounds like he was hands-on with those. I pre-ordered the CDs of 1 and 2.

I'm just kinda baffled that some of these Castlevania OSTs haven't been redone, and that newer stuff also appears to be done poorly. I have cash and found a way to get the Dracula Black/Red box sets at a decent price, but I don't think I wanna bite because I heard the previously unreleased soundtracks like Dracula X SNES and Legends were done with a bit o' the ol' jank, either sounding bad or the tracks being presented out of order or something, coupled with (I think) CV3 Famicom still having sound effects and crud like that. It just sounds sloppy and I don't know if I wanna part with money for unprofessionalism. But I dunno, whaddya think of it, Sindra? I'm always looking for an excuse to waste money lol.

Edit - Totally missed this part from the above tweets: "We are using the files that we were provided by Konami. In some cases, tracks were missing from what they sent, and in those cases, we captured the tracks ourselves from hardware."

So like...yeah. TMNT may be affected too. But I don't think those had soundtrack releases before.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 03:33:38 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: