Poll

Have you legitimately beaten Castlevania: The Adventure for Game Boy?

Yes, I beat it fair and square
10 (58.8%)
Not only have I beaten it fairly, but I also completed the second cycle after Dracula
1 (5.9%)
No, I've only beaten it with save states/cheats
1 (5.9%)
I can't beat Stage 3
3 (17.6%)
I can't get to the end of Stage 4
0 (0%)
I can't beat Dracula
1 (5.9%)
I can't get past Stage 1
0 (0%)
I can't get past Stage 2
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Have you legitimately beaten Castlevania: The Adventure for Game Boy?  (Read 12225 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Tonight, after at least a decade of tries, and after taking a break for I believe several years, I have finally beaten Castlevania: The Adventure for Game Boy via the Gamecube's Game Boy Player! Took me forever to figure out how to counter Dracula's forms, but I finally did it with just the level 2 whip (no fireball). This has to be one of the hardest Draculas due to the lack of player control. Almost every move you make has to be perfect. I was wondering how many others have gotten through the whole thing WITHOUT any save states or cheats. I'll cast the first vote.

By the way, I was surprised that the game starts over after you beat it, but Level 1 is called Level 5. Weird. Any changes I should know about? I didn't have the time to keep going.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Have you legitimately beaten Castlevania: The Adventure for Game Boy?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
I owned a real copy back in the day so I beat it several times. It was awesome having a portable CV game at that time!

Adventure is just like any of the other classic games. Once you know what to do and when, it almost becomes easy.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »
I was having and still have a real copy of the game and i have beaten it 5 times in a row, took me 2 and a half hours to do that. The fifth time you are 1 hit from every enemy to die. But that was like 18 years ago......now i can still beat it, but not 5 times in a row, with out seeing game over. :P
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:25:32 AM »
I play through the game every so often, on a cartridge. At this point I've adapted to the quirks of the geriatric pace and the general demand for near-perfect performance, so I rarely have to leave a run half-finished. Both of Christopher's Dracula encounters are very rigid in their construction, too; rote pattern memorization eventually wins the day every time.

Stage 3 is pretty great.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:56:05 AM »
HELL YEAH!! That game was a real pisser when I first played it. All those times of swearing and cussing due to the frustrations the game relentlessly brought upon me. It took me around two weeks or so because I kept going at it so obsessively. But I managed to complete it. And the more play-throughs I did the easier it became. I don't know if it's true now since I haven't play The Adventure in years.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
Oh yes -- I've beaten it several times now, along with a few of the harder versions, in all legitimacy. Just as I've done, in fact, with almost every classic Castlevania game. You're rewarded with such an extraordinary sense of satisfaction once you've managed, at last, to complete them -- it's such a remarkable emotion that I couldn't finish a game without it.
Yet Adventure was a very particular challenge. Christopher moved so ridiculously slowly that he became extremely difficult to  master. From that perspective, the game was in fact rather flawed.

I was having and still have a real copy of the game and i have beaten it 5 times in a row, took me 2 and a half hours to do that. The fifth time you are 1 hit from every enemy to die.
Just as a curiosity, how high can the difficulty be scaled? Successively, I've only played through the game three times.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:35:09 AM by Intersection7 »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »
Should we tell him the game has four more loops?

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »
I could beat it once, but not the second loop.

It has 5 loops?
I imagine in the last one you die with one hit!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
It has 5 LOOPS?! Wow, big congrats to those who accomplished that feat! I don't know that I'd have the patience. I can see how it might be done, though. For, as challenging as The Adventure can be, and as flawed as its controls are, I'd noticed by playing  it in concentration that almost every screen of the game has a very careful method in mind. (Like, there's one screen near the end of Stage 4 where you're on a rope and a Zeldo is waiting for you. You basically have a SECOND to jump off that rope, duck, and then jump over his returning sickle. If you stay on the rope or try to climb upward, he will automatically hit you, and you'll lose precious whip power).

But really, one of the keys to beating the game the first time is not to sweat losing whip power. You've got to power ahead with confidence. In nearly all cases, I had to rely on a level 1 whip for part or all of a boss battle.

Speaking of which, the unique bosses of this game are really cool. As a whole, I really like the uniqueness of this game's enemy set and level design. Those knights that come to life in Dracula's castle are possibly the best animated knights in 8-bit Castlevania. If this game had better controls, you could have a bit more fun exploring the game and seeing its sights. On the whole, The Adventure is equally frustrating and charming.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
I got pass the spikes and that's a day for me  :P But in all seriousness I am getting closer and closer to beating adventure.

Edit @ RichterB. You're like a grass ninja here and not here  :P  :)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:46:18 PM »
Hold the phone. Did you know there are SECRET ROOMS in this game?! Mind blown. I just watched a partial playthrough to see how someone else would tackle some of the stage obstacles, and I saw 5 secret rooms (one is considered only semi-secret). I have had suspicions (and faint hopes) that such things might exist after I found the semi-secret room in Level 2 by different rope climbing combinations, but dismissed further secrets as wishful thinking, as I didn't want to ruin my level runs by jumping to my potential doom. Well, if I had taken the risk and tested my theories, I probably would have found two more of the rooms, the one in Level 3 and the other one in Level 2. But Level 1's never crossed my mind, and Level 4 even more so was totally lost on me. I've also read a statement that if you skip the first candle in Level 1, that the 11th candle yields a secret 1-up. Don't know if that's true or not, but there might be more secrets in this game than these rooms.

Wow. This is so cool. This would have made the game a little easier. There were moments where I said to myself, "I wish there was a hidden item here or there I could find by breaking a wall," but I ultimately thought something along those lines would be too much effort for the designers of an early Gameboy game with just 4 levels. Was I wrong! This just boosted the game's credit for me. And it also reveals a deeper history for invisible platforming in the franchise. (Super Castlevania IV, CV64, and (I believe) Simon's Quest also have such things). LINK: The four secret rooms in Castlevania Adventure - plus all stage themes

Edit @ RichterB. You're like a grass ninja here and not here  :P  :)

I'm flattered. Is there an award for that? :-p

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »
I found out about those secret rooms AFTER I had finished the game. If I had known about them before had I would have taken advantage of them every single time just to beat it. The same is true for Belmont's Revenge. Every stage has a secret room or rooms that will give you lots of goodies.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »
Secret rooms? I feel like an idiot...never knew about those.

I think I've only beat the game once...possibly twice. I can't remember if I made it all the way through on my first playthrough. Didn't have as much trouble with that one as I did with Haunted Castle...I've only beat that game once, and I'm sure I got lucky in a few spots.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »
Secret rooms in Game Boy?  :o
That's really surprising! PANT PANT!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 03:02:33 AM »
Secret rooms in Game Boy?  :o
That's really surprising! PANT PANT!
It has 5 loops?
I imagine in the last one you die with one hit!

Correct!!! Every stage has one secret room and some a secret candle and yes, at fifth loop you are one hit, but fifth loop is not the last one, you can go on as much loops as you like, i have gotten to 6 loops, hoping that there will be a secret ending, but nah.......
Ruler of Chaos

Tags:

anything