Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1821938 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4785 on: February 22, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »
I played the demo
strangely the only time the combat felt right for me was during the boss fights, most other times it felt off some how and the Castle is way too empty but I get the impression it's that way to make things seem a little creepier, I dunno.
Overall it seemed okay but I'm not going to be rushing out to buy it.

I was pretty surprised by this, I accidently skipped the on screen directions and spent a while whipping at the flashing point thinking I must be just missing it before I realised you only need to press a single button to zip straight to it.
They should had done it like in Super Castlevania IV. It's perfect that way.

Everything comes full circle

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4786 on: February 22, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »
They should had done it like in Super Castlevania IV. It's perfect that way.

I just realized that probably why they didn't do it was because of the combo system. The whip moves have to transition into pre-programmed combos, so you don't have the liberty to whip on an angle at will. They probably could have gotten around this, but it might have come off as stiff with a seperate button that whips diagonally up. Sometimes I don't get why they proudly bring things in from older Castlevanias, but don't understand why it is they worked. The platforming in LoS1 has some of the same problems, as far as the combos push you forward, not allowing for an integrated mix of action and platforming, especially in precarious places.

Nevertheless, I might get the game when I eventually get a 3DS. I'm on the fence about that, especially confused about resolution of Regular 3DS vs. 3DS XL. Does XL have one pre-set resolution that basically blows things up and makes them more jaggy/blurry? Isn't there at least a screen adjust to choose between resolutions, so you can go back to the Regular 3DS resolution for some games?

Anyway, it's hard for me, because it's not overly impressive so far, and, IMO, LoS1 didn't warrant the full price I paid for it not long after launch. After that happened, I told myself I wouldn't blindly support this direction of the series with wishful thinking. I wanted to believe in it, but I got burned by the aftertaste.

Here's hoping MoF turns out better in the end.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:45:39 PM by RichterB »

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4787 on: February 22, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
just upgraded my 3DS to a 3DS XL today.  i'm so ready for this game now (and the demo).  still hunting for my DS cartridges so i can find out how well the DS CV trilogy looks on the 3DS XL.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4788 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:15 AM »

As an aside, my other issue, more of a nitpick, is the use of swinging over gaps with the whip. It looks to be very much "on-rails," where you automatically hook onto the nearest grappling point with the press of a button.
it was previously stated why they probably did that, but ill jump in anyway- with the way whip swinging works, it probably would have come off as stiff or awkward doing it that way. plus they only have so many buttons to work with. They are missing at least 2 buttons, and one joystick. Just sayin'.

It's not the proudly proclaimed return of the Super Castlevania IV mechanic by any means.
I's not supposed to be. "Inspired by SCIV" =/= "SCIV" And even then, LoS1 was the one more inspired by SCIV. MoF seems more content to take nods from CV3 and do more of it's own thing.

By the way, I noticed a Bernhardt reference in one of the Demo scrolls. Let the name drops commence!
The Bernhards were mentioned in LoS1 as being the creators of the Vampire Castle before Carmilla took over. They are rumored to have made a pact with a demon for it, thus making the castle impossible to fully map as it changes. (AKA it's like the classic Dracula Castle) It's only natural for that to come up again here.

*Ask yourself this--put that mechanic in another Castlevania game. Does it add to or detract from the flow of gameplay?
Except this isn't another castlevania game. It's MoF. It has it's own mechanics and ideas, just like Simon's quest had it's own ideas that differentiate it from CV1. It isn't really fair to compare something like LoS to something like, say, CV3. if they had combos, it would obviously be a very different game than it was, and would have been designed around that fact.

Simon's Quest--"Got to get over this bridge and reach that mansion...but these 30-hit Mermen keep getting in the way. Oh, no, here comes that Horrible Night for a Curse business; now they take 50 hits!"
Combo's would probably be completely welcome. It would at least add variety to the mind numbing heart grinding and parts collecting. Instead of whipping a werewolf a billion times with the same basic attack, I could at least liven things up and try different moves.

..Sometimes trends aren't universally helpful. Just my thought on it.
Combos are something that were bound to happen, and SHOULD be there. there's no excuse for a family of whip experts to just use the same forward swing all the time. LoI had a few combos and nobody seems to mind that game, despite being probably just as grindy as LoS, if not more repetitive due to it's very boring level layouts. (or lack thereof since it was basically just a dungeon crawler with la scant few platforming bits)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4789 on: February 23, 2013, 12:25:16 AM »
Puff do not know, I've been watching some videos. Maybe Lord of Shadow is not Castlevania than many expected but could have been much worse ...

(6:52) Castlevania Ultimate Soundtrack Compilation
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4790 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:07 AM »
Well, for me my opinion about LoS stays the same, while mirror of fates, i find it a very nice game, darker than loS and as i said before, even though combos for some people seem to look like beat em up games, i'll have to say that skeletons on previous games, they were the most ridiculous enemies, that they weren't able to kill you, unless you wanted it and after 2 level ups, you could kill them for 1 hit, so i find it only fair that in mirror of fates they need more hits to die, so they could provide a challenge and not be there and get whipped like a candle and once you get to unlock more advanced combos, you can kill them in 2 seconds.

My final opinion, while i dislike LoS, i really like mirror of fates for what it's trying to do and i believe that it's doing it right and i would rather have the first one and the third one loS, the same style mirror of fates is.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Heuss

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4791 on: February 23, 2013, 05:49:58 AM »

I played demo... SOLD

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4792 on: February 23, 2013, 06:13:50 AM »
One thing I really liked (graphics aside) appears maximum difficulty that can be a very difficult game (something that misses the 3DS). I was scared for some review that said it was difficult at first but then with combos and abilities the characters were very OP. I guess demo it will be on normal difficulty level.

I saw an interview with the Spanish magazine MercurySteam team a week ago. The visit was the occasion of a prize to a player who could visit MercurySteam offices. One of those winners told some curiosities in a blog.

1) In the interview Enrique Alvarez says MoF seems LOS1 in development, starting from less to more, to the point of containing many surprises in the story and gradually increase the tension more and more until the end. (I'm glad, because in the first 2 chapters LOS1 psss, but later O.O)

2) Konami and Nintendo were given complete freedom in the development of the game (in the first were supervised by Kojima). Nintendo was particularly interested in helping with the technical

3) From Videolog: Enrique Alvarez has received numerous death threats, because instead of using a sword using a whip ... I will stop here to say a few things. As a veteran player (34 years) to me may or may not like some things. But death threats .. much geek assholes out there. When you do not like something do not buy it and that's it, the end of MassEffect3 was very disappointing for me, I will not go back to buy another mass effect but I'm not threatening people out there ... Now I understand the desire of Dave Cox to leave Castlevania. Also if you want to threaten someone threatens Konami then, they are just workers trying to earn a paycheck.

4) From videolog: on a visit to the offices could see the development process LOS2, most can not tell. He can tell they saw as a map modeled, were creating a loading screen and a betatester working. They could see how one weapon was a hammer (mm interesting.. ). I do not see Alucard with a hammer and not see Gabriel ... maybe a new character?

5) From videolog: LOS1 not bow to other languages ​​(including Spanish) because Konami did not want to invest a lot of money.

6) From videolog: VERY INTERESTING, although we knew this well to confirm it officially. With LOS1 showed the demo at Konami. Konami said great continue the game but do not call it Castlevania (a new IP ...) then appeared Kojima and he said NO, that it was going to be the new castlevania (you know, Kojima is Kojima in Konami).

Personal comment: HOHOHO could be that the reason that Kojima has nothing to do with this project MoF and LOS2, will be pissed Konami to use this IP with the Castlevania name (angering fans). Mmmm these are good news, Konami never saw this game as a pure castlevania but as one of the vampire related (konami has done many of these, vampire kid, etc. ..). Then we may see another classic castlevania soon .. (although I admit that whether or not a Castlevania, I LOVE LOS)

7) From videolog: Regarding MoF HD. Nothing at all, have an exclusivity agreement with Nintendo very hard, with MoF is what Nintendo says (sounds like MoF it is a production half Konami/Nintendo..)

Edit with sources:

The videolog of one of the winners. He could talk to the team MercurySteam two hours while visiting the offices of Konami and testing the game MoF.
Videoblog 11 Visita con Hobby Consolas a Mercury Steam // Curiosidades, Mirror of Fate y LoS2

Official visit of the magazine Hobby Consolas MercurySteam's offices with winners.
Visita Mercury Steam (HD) Castlevania- Mirror of Fate en HobbyConsolas.com

Edit 2 one more thing:
1) ¿When would be released the LOS2? They said that never before summer (seems obvious but leaves wide open the possibility of autumn  ;D)

2) He saw they were doing a cinematic Lord of Shadow 2 in which appeared a dragon destroying (not sure if it was an enemy or a main character, was very basic modeling in testing) an enemy.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:38:39 AM by Bergaron »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4793 on: February 23, 2013, 06:26:10 AM »
I just watched the demo... so you don't get a game over even if you die, you just start in the area again. Hmmm, interesting... Oh was it put in place to prevent poor gamers from being discouraged?
Yup, that seals it. I will really have to buy the game.

Wow Bergaron. Those juicy tidbits are amazing.
Poor Enrique, he did nothing wrong.
So... it was Kojima that said the game must be Castlevania.
Well, I also excited to see another classicvania.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4794 on: February 23, 2013, 06:43:47 AM »
All this info is so interesting and enlightening, i had never imagined that Kojima was the one deciding for the game to be named Castlevania.........thanks for the share.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4795 on: February 23, 2013, 07:57:31 AM »
7) From videolog: Regarding MoF HD. Nothing at all, have an exclusivity agreement with Nintendo very hard, with MoF is what Nintendo says (sounds like MoF it is a production half Konami/Nintendo..)
UNLESS they do the HD version for Wii U, which I have to admit, it WOULD color me MORE interested(I have a Wii U) since it would basically be a side-scrolling CV(in HD) on a home Nintendo console(that's not a WiiWare game, fighting game or 3D N64vania). To have a full 2D(or 2.5D) CV game on a modern Nintendo console is, to me, the equivalent of having a new exclusive TRADITIONAL Final Fantasy(not Crystal Chronicles) game being made for the Wii U, just something that's a long time coming(and couldn't help to feel the tender sense of reunion, like these old series who all started on NES have come home).

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4796 on: February 23, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
Back to the MoF demo: someone suggested that the piece of mirror given to Simon could have come from the face of The Lost Soul.
However, when he comes out at the end of the demo and tells Trevor that he can't pass, his face is completely intact.
Since Trevor gave Simon the piece of mirror before he left, it can't be part of The Lost Soul.

But it makes me really curious as to why the Lost Soul's face is broken when Simon encounters him....
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline Heuss

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4797 on: February 23, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »
+1
All this info is so interesting and enlightening, i had never imagined that Kojima was the one deciding for the game to be named Castlevania.........thanks for the share.

Kojima secured Castlevania licence for Lords Of Shadow
Nathan Brown at 02:41pm August 1 2012

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima secured the Castlevania name for 2010 action adventure Lords Of Shadow, developer MercurySteam has revealed.

In an interview, producer Dave Cox tells us that Konami gave the Castlevania licence to MercurySteam, only to take it away after the publisher's Japanese higher-ups deemed the proposed new direction for the beloved series to be "too radical".

"[MercurySteam] did a prototype demo, the Simon Belmont thing," he says. "We went to America to pitch it. We were originally told we could do Castlevania, and then when we pitched it, we were told we had to do something else instead.

"So it launched at Gamescom as just Lords Of Shadow. We developed it under the codename of Light And Shadow." Until, that is, Kojima stepped in.

"I went to Japan later that year with a video of the game, and the senior managers and people of Konami were there, and Kojima-san was at that meeting," Cox recalls. "I showed the game, and he just basically stood up at that point and said, 'This is awesome, why isn't this Castlevania?'

"Everyone just looked sort of sheepish and then after that he said, 'I want to help you guys'. And then it became Castlevania again."

The resulting game was developed in collaboration with Kojima Productions, and successfully updated the franchise for modern tastes. Our Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow review praised its "moments of genuine craftsmanship… [this] is ultimately a greater success than anyone could have reasonably expected".

While sales figures haven't been disclosed, Konami was evidently pleased with the game's performance. A sequel, Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2, was announced on the eve of E3 in June. A 3DS spin-off, subtitled Mirror Of Fate, is also on the way.

The above are extracts from a profile of Spanish studio MercurySteam, the full version of which features in our new issue. E244 is out today in print and on Apple Newsstand.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4798 on: February 23, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
Kojima secured Castlevania licence for Lords Of Shadow
Nathan Brown at 02:41pm August 1 2012

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima secured the Castlevania name for 2010 action adventure Lords Of Shadow, developer MercurySteam has revealed.

In an interview, producer Dave Cox tells us that Konami gave the Castlevania licence to MercurySteam, only to take it away after the publisher's Japanese higher-ups deemed the proposed new direction for the beloved series to be "too radical".

"[MercurySteam] did a prototype demo, the Simon Belmont thing," he says. "We went to America to pitch it. We were originally told we could do Castlevania, and then when we pitched it, we were told we had to do something else instead.

"So it launched at Gamescom as just Lords Of Shadow. We developed it under the codename of Light And Shadow." Until, that is, Kojima stepped in.

"I went to Japan later that year with a video of the game, and the senior managers and people of Konami were there, and Kojima-san was at that meeting," Cox recalls. "I showed the game, and he just basically stood up at that point and said, 'This is awesome, why isn't this Castlevania?'

"Everyone just looked sort of sheepish and then after that he said, 'I want to help you guys'. And then it became Castlevania again."

The resulting game was developed in collaboration with Kojima Productions, and successfully updated the franchise for modern tastes. Our Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow review praised its "moments of genuine craftsmanship… [this] is ultimately a greater success than anyone could have reasonably expected".

While sales figures haven't been disclosed, Konami was evidently pleased with the game's performance. A sequel, Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2, was announced on the eve of E3 in June. A 3DS spin-off, subtitled Mirror Of Fate, is also on the way.

The above are extracts from a profile of Spanish studio MercurySteam, the full version of which features in our new issue. E244 is out today in print and on Apple Newsstand.

Great, thanks for providing the official text. I knew I had read somewhere before but could not remember off Dave Cox and when this guy told the story MS team thought it was the first official version, but Dave Cox had said six months ago. Thank you.

Detailed and much better XD

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4799 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
Back to the MoF demo: someone suggested that the piece of mirror given to Simon could have come from the face of The Lost Soul.
However, when he comes out at the end of the demo and tells Trevor that he can't pass, his face is completely intact.
Since Trevor gave Simon the piece of mirror before he left, it can't be part of The Lost Soul.

But it makes me really curious as to why the Lost Soul's face is broken when Simon encounters him....

On this issue there are several interesting theories on the forum, I agree with them, here's my version:

The Lost Soul is Zobek (death, as always manipulates and deceives), Trevor is aided by the Lost Soul to face Gabriel (perhaps Grabiel is resentful with Zobek because he is to blame for everything that happened and lives isolated in the castle). Trevor loses the fight, dying, Zobek offers a salvation for revenge (Zobek looking for a new doll that can handle better than Gabriel and has the power of Dracula). how Trevor transforms in Alucar? I do not know. magic, possession. I do not think Gabriel bite Trevor to save him because he repents.

Somehow in that fight, becomes involved the Lost Soul, perhaps Gabriel gets angry with Zobek or is Alucard after seeing that it has become and attacks Zobek. And hence this broken mask.

Years later Simon arrives and Lost Soul finds a new victim to repeat the move, try Simon do the work that Trevor could not do.

In the final fight, ALUCAR helps Simon to defeat Gabriel (but not fatally), Alucar can not kill his father because he knows the whole story, Gabriel is nothing more than a victim of delusions of Zobek, was condemned for love Marie. Gabriel escapes alive but Simon dies in the fight.

In modern times Alucar and Gabriel meet again but this time finish the job ...

if too much imagination, but why not?  :P

Edit: Should be noted that in the end of LOS1, Gabriel does not hesitate to attack at every opportunity to Zobek. Clearly he is resentful, may be at Marie but also for what he did to his son and grandson ..
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:12:04 AM by Bergaron »

Tags: .....?