Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best story in the video game medium  (Read 10289 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 11:32:52 PM »
+1
Have to agree on Assassin's Creed. Can't wait to play the new one to see where the story goes.

Although I'm not really so much a Metal Gear fan anymore, I think MGS1 had one of my most favorite stories in all of gaming. That and Bioshock are probably tied for the top for me. Something about The Witcher was pretty satisfying, too.

I keep consistently hearing that the Legacy of Kain games are the best written out of any games, bar none. I still have to get back into the first one (a few hours in, but it's been so long I'll probably have to start fresh). I hear nothing but praise for the first game and (especially) Soul Reaver, but how about the other games? Are they worth looking into?
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »
+1
Have to agree on Assassin's Creed. Can't wait to play the new one to see where the story goes.

*high fives*

Although I'm not really so much a Metal Gear fan anymore, I think MGS1 had one of my most favorite stories in all of gaming. That and Bioshock are probably tied for the top for me. Something about The Witcher was pretty satisfying, too.

Strange as it is, SOPA is the main antagonist of MGS2.

I keep consistently hearing that the Legacy of Kain games are the best written out of any games, bar none. I still have to get back into the first one (a few hours in, but it's been so long I'll probably have to start fresh). I hear nothing but praise for the first game and (especially) Soul Reaver, but how about the other games? Are they worth looking into?

Yes, definitely. I've only played Blood Omen, and the two Soul Reaver titles, but the story is phenominal (nothing on Assassin's Creed, though).
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:40 AM »
+1
I always wanted to play this game yet I don't have a dreamcast. And that game is Shenmue anyone whos has played that what impression did one get from that game.

I've always wanted to play that as well but never had a Dreamcast.

But there's this:

SHENMUE ROCKS! (HD)

From what I've played of Blood Omen, it's got some killer writing, that's for sure. Silicon Knights are some classy folks. Eternal Darkness ought to get some recognition for its story and writing.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 01:38:18 AM »
I've always wanted to play that as well but never had a Dreamcast.

But there's this:

SHENMUE ROCKS! (HD)

From what I've played of Blood Omen, it's got some killer writing, that's for sure. Silicon Knights are some classy folks. Eternal Darkness ought to get some recognition for its story and writing.

Yep HCG good stuff I remember watching this one a while ago :) Plus1 to you Abnormal for reminding me of HCG.

Yu Suzuki crazy, but genius I want to even play it more now might have to buy a dreamcast. Oh and excuse me,have you seen any sailors?  ;)  . let's play are good, but in the end I just really want to play it. It still probably the most expensive game ever huh?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:40:51 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 05:24:03 AM »
The Fallout franchise, without a doubt, has some awesome stories in it. The whole post-apocalyptic premise, with the addition of remnants of the old-world like the Enclave trying to bring 'order' to the wasteland, and the Super Mutants - who can either be dumb as posts or very smart, like Marcus -, and the Brotherhood Of Steel... much awesome stuff in those games.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 07:42:26 AM »
Silent Hill 2.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 05:36:36 AM »
Oh yeah Legacy of Kain gotta love that giant talking octopus who thinks he's god.  :rollseyes:
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3.
MAFIA (as a gangster story in a video game).
Silent Hill 2.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
Hard to say...but Metal Gear Solid 1 really stands out in my mind. Forgive the unintentional pun, but it's pretty "solid."

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
Surprisingly, Spec Ops The Line of had the most well done story in a third person shooter. Here I was exepecting another dudebro third person shooter story (Granted it started off like one) but then it takes a big psychological left turn and flips the script on the player. It also has some of the best character progression I've seen in a game today with the main character slowly becoming more agressive in his actions as the game goes on and your actions reflect what ending you get.

While the gameplay was average, the story definitely came out nowhere for me and was well worth the rent.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »
+1
Eternal Darkness ought to get some recognition for its story and writing.

Ehhhhhh, I don't know about that. Basically all they did was knock-off Lovecraft, and come up with a time-spanning plot so they could use the same handful of areas in an exploration focused game 3 or 4 times apiece. "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" is an actual licensed Lovecraft game which is largely an adaptation of what is arguably his best story "The Shadow over Innsmouth". It is far more subtle and scary than "Eternal Darkness" though they really shouldn't have tried to shoehorn action scenes into what is essentially a point and click adventure.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 05:20:04 AM »

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 10:30:40 AM »
what
Comparing to the standard stories of the 8 bit action games (kill bad guys) it is very good.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »
Yeah, I suppose. It just had so much silliness, even for Kojima. Even if its contemporaries had less deep storylines, shooting an old man with remote-controlled missiles to get him to stop strangling you is something you'd expect to see in Postal or perhaps Duke Nukem. And poisonous hamsters..?

I still get a chuckle out of this:

http://slowbeef.com/MG2/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:08:44 AM by A-Yty »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
I respectfully disagree about Assassins Creed.
Granted, it's very entertaining, and the emotional arch they created on Ezio (And to a lesser extent Altair) is second to none, however it's kinda nonsensical and god knows there are lots of plot holes, that without mentioning how silly is that "present arch" (seriously, it's nonsense over nonsense). To be fair, it was perfect until 2, but brotherhood took a nosedive. Revelation redeemed it a lttle, but the present day stuff is already messed up (Please, tell me, WTH happened with Lucy?)

Everything comes full circle

Tags:

anything