Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: 3 New Interviews from 1993 and 1997(SotN-Akumajou x68000-Akumajou Chi No Rondo)  (Read 13331 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards

some points of interest:
  • Can you tell us the origins of Alucard’s name?

Igarashi: It’s Dracula spelled backwards, of course.

• This isn’t officially in the story, but in the backstory in my head, his mother was descended of holy blood, so he can use those weapons. That’s why Alucard has both the powers of light and dark, which was something we had decided on at the outset of the development.

In the early planning stages we had an alignment system. If you used the subweapons a lot you would have a holy alignment, and if you used magic a lot you’d have a dark alignment.

Yeah, and the ending would have changed based on your alignment.

• In the ending Maria chases after Alucard, but I’m curious about what happens after that.

That’s something left for all the players to imagine themselves; it’s not our place to say. There are also other endings where she doesn’t follow Alucard.
  • Our first idea was to use the story and setting of Vampire Killer, and make the final Belmont vampire hunter your enemy. But… that idea got used for Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. Another idea I had, and this is also from Bloodlines, was that when Quincy Morris defeated Dracula, it was actually Alucard that he defeated. I had even thought how this would work with the ending visuals.
  • As far as the story goes, I did have deeper and more involved dialogue planned, but I thought it would interrupt the game progression too much, so we took it out. There were many characters who had to be cut, but the ones I still wish we could have added were Elizabeth Bathory and Gilles de Rais. As for post-game stories, Alucard and Maria’s whereabouts are unknown. Richter uses this as an opportunity to pass the vampire killer to the Morris family, who are relatives of the Belmonts. He disappears with Annette. After this the repuation of the Belmont name as vampire hunters vanishes from history. However, that doesn’t mean the Belmont bloodline has died out, so perhaps they will rise again as Vampire Hunters someday.
  • In a sense, I don’t think I can really say much about Alucard’s distant future… (it’s a mystery). As for Richter, the events of Bloodlines create the background for the story of Symphony of the Night, and I can’t confirm what happens to the Belmont clan after Richter. But that being the case, have you thought about what the future might hold? I like to think that one of the Belmonts is, unbeknownst to all, locked in battle with the King of Terror prophesized by Nostradmus to appear in July 1999.
  • I’d also like to say that although Maria chases after Alucard in the ending of Symphony of the Night, he doesn’t make her a vampire. She isn’t around 10,000 years later, you know. (laughs)
  • As for the difficulty [in Akumajou Dracula x68000], there’s 99 stages spread across 6 loops. And if you come back to the game after several months and clear the first loop again, you might discover something interesting.
  • When the She-wolf returns to human form she looks directly at the player. That was a request from a certain honorable fellow. At first we had her just lying face down. The tragic She-Wolf.
  • The archer guy in the garden has his junk swaying in the breeze. And yet there’s no wind… this was censored and removed.
  • Dracula should be having a drink even though its the final battle! We talked about that. The idea was he would be lounging around when Simon comes and drags him into a fight.
  • Yeah, [in Chi no Rondo] we actually had planned to add four player characters. After thinking it over, we decided on just two.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Wow, all three of those have some pretty good information that was new to me.  Thanks for posting these!

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
It is cool work though there are some errors and omissions in the translation.

*errors
SotN: seimu sēma/seima no toriru
X68K: The skull knight doing chun-li cosplay… that enemy we based off Refer to Capcom’s super-famous character.

*omissions
SotN: Because it was shameful that Richter was manipulated by the shaft, the vampire killer is passed to the Morris family who is the relative in Belmont. NOTES: This may have been changed. He brandished the whip again by the radio drama.

SotN second interview from OLD KCEK's Akumajō Dracula series portal site. Because this has already been deleted, it is not possible to confirm it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:35:35 PM by Koutei »
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

As for post-game stories, Alucard and Maria’s whereabouts are unknown. Richter uses this as an opportunity to pass the vampire killer to the Morris family, who are relatives of the Belmonts. He disappears with Annette. After this the repuation of the Belmont name as vampire hunters vanishes from history. However, that doesn’t mean the Belmont bloodline has died out, so perhaps they will rise again as Vampire Hunters someday.

So that theory of Richter passing the whip to the Morrises due to Shaft's manipulating him was actually true, for awhile.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
It is nice to read new stuff.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Haha, I love how all the essential story bits are hidden away in guidebooks somewhere, like it's forbidden knowledge. So Richter gave up the Vampire Killer because he felt ashamed of what happend to him? I never imagined it would be such a simple explanation, but I like it.

• Our first idea was to use the story and setting of Vampire Killer, and make the final Belmont vampire hunter your enemy. But… that idea got used for Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. Another idea I had, and this is also from Bloodlines, was that when Quincy Morris defeated Dracula, it was actually Alucard that he defeated. I had even thought how this would work with the ending visuals.

What is he talking about here? You don't fight other vampire hunters in Bloodlines or Rondo. Also, Alucard is Dracula in Bloodlines? That's pretty bizarre. 

• As far as the story goes, I did have deeper and more involved dialogue planned, but I thought it would interrupt the game progression too much, so we took it out. There were many characters who had to be cut, but the ones I still wish we could have added were Elizabeth Bathory and Gilles de Rais. As for post-game stories, Alucard and Maria’s whereabouts are unknown. Richter uses this as an opportunity to pass the vampire killer to the Morris family, who are relatives of the Belmonts. He disappears with Annette. After this the repuation of the Belmont name as vampire hunters vanishes from history. However, that doesn’t mean the Belmont bloodline has died out, so perhaps they will rise again as Vampire Hunters someday.

Elizabeth Bathory and Gilles de Rais? That's pretty unexpected. The latter later made his way into the CV64 games. I wonder what role Elizabeth Bathory would have played in the plot? Wasn't she already supposed to be dead by then?

• As for the difficulty [in Akumajou Dracula x68000], there’s 99 stages spread across 6 loops. And if you come back to the game after several months and clear the first loop again, you might discover something interesting.

I've never heard of this. Does anyone know what the easter egg is?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
the bit about extra characters in symphony is interesting. it almost makes me believe they had some dialogue planned for Alucards encounter with Olrox. just right before the fight starts, you expect to see a dialogue box appear above their heads. i guess we'll never really know for sure

then there was the deleted 5th ending where Maria turns into a demon, & both her & richter are killed. granted it was america-only, but given this new info about light/dark alignments & alternative endings depending on which you prefer, it makes you wonder if this played a role in it but like with everything else got cut. very intruiging

about elizabeth bathory/bartley, i recall in the por preorder bonus timeline had an excerpt where it said "a secret to explain why a 16th century vampire appears in the 20th century is now being planned."

all these little tidbits & "what-ifs" that will never truly be answered

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
about elizabeth bathory/bartley, i recall in the por preorder bonus timeline had an excerpt where it said "a secret to explain why a 16th century vampire appears in the 20th century is now being planned."

Never did think they had to explain this. Drolta revives her. Simple as that.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Damn. IGA had the events of AoS and OoE planned that far out in ahead.

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
What is he talking about here? You don't fight other vampire hunters in Bloodlines or Rondo. Also, Alucard is Dracula in Bloodlines? That's pretty bizarre.
Mistranslation.
Our first idea was to use the story and setting of Vampire Killer, and make the final Belmont vampire hunter your enemy. But… that idea got used for Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. Making the final Belmondo (Belmont) vampire hunter into an enemy in response to a setting (Morris family inherited vampire hunter from the Belmont family) of Vampire Killer (Castlevania: Bloodlines) is the idea used for Dracula X (Akumajō Dracula X: Gekka no Yasōkyoku).

Another idea I had, and this is also from Bloodlines, was that when Quincy Morris defeated Dracula, it was actually Alucard that he defeated. Although Quincy is supposed to have defeat Dracula, Alucard defeat Dracula in fact.  I had even thought how this would work with the ending visuals.

I've never heard of this. Does anyone know what the easter egg is?
I corrected a little it.
As for the difficulty, there’s 99 stages spread across 6 loops. And if you come back to the game after several months and clear the first loop again, you might discover something interesting. If at least not only one loop but six loops will be carried out if possible, an interesting thing may break out.

NOTES: We know this.
http://revelation12.sakura.ne.jp/history/data/11_data/11_07.gif Nosebleed
http://revelation12.sakura.ne.jp/history/data/11_data/11_08.gif Fake Simon
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:48:53 PM by Koutei »
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Thanks Koutei for the correction!!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Haha, I love how all the essential story bits are hidden away in guidebooks somewhere, like it's forbidden knowledge. So Richter gave up the Vampire Killer because he felt ashamed of what happend to him? I never imagined it would be such a simple explanation, but I like it.

Sometimes the simplest explanations are the best. I never bought that the Belmont's bloodline was tainted, because Richter was still the VK's memory in POR.
I assumed at the time it was the fear that Dracula/ his minion could control a Belmont, and the VK; the power to hunt the night, accordingly. So the Belmonts went into hiding, giving the VK to the Morris family. 

It wouldn't make Dracula in Bloodlines Alucard, it would make Dracula in Bram Stoker's Dracula, Alucard. He did say "when Quincey killed Dracula".

Edit: as above, Alucard kills Dracula in the Stoker novel, not Quincy. This could explain how Quincy lived on and had children.

Unless we still entertain that John Morris and Eric Lecarde witnessed the battle with Dracula and the death of Quincey.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:49:11 AM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Really interesting stuff here, thanks for it!

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
That's the reason I miss Iga the most, I loved his idea of storyline as a whole. Great interviews, thanks for sharing them.

Tags:

anything