Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: next gen Castlevania might be like Devil May Cry 4, but better?  (Read 8049 times)

Offline Saner

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
next gen Castlevania might be like Devil May Cry 4, but better?
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:01:39 PM »
that would be pretty cool, oh ya make sure to have at
least 3 playable characters (2 unlockable and unique)!

oh ya and bring back the double quickstep and perfect guard abilities from CoD!  that evasion ability is better than the one found in DMC4, although DMC4 seems to have a useful
evasion move that can be done in the air, CoD has it beat
in more effective defensive abilities. 

oh ya and deeper attack combos would be nice too.   ;D

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: next gen Castlevania might be like Devil May Cry 4, but better?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:11:03 PM »
The next 3d game will be like cod, but 4x bigger and have even more pokemons to collect. :o

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »
The next game should have either a daul-button combo system (like in LoI) or a time-enabled combo-system (DMC 3 +4).  Also, there needs to be some sort of innovation combat wise,  be it more pokemans or something the  player is actually in control of (easy-way=grappling techniques, hard-way= anything I can't think of, aka: surprise me).
The game should also have a difficulty setting option available from the start (Easy, Normal, Hard, Extra Hard), so there's no excuse for making a game too easy to cater towards a specific audience. 
Lastly, try to stay low on repetition environment and enemy wise.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Steve

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:31:24 AM »
They should probably just work on making a game as good as Devil May Cry 1, then possibly work up from there.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 04:59:24 AM »
Why, oh why, must 3D Castlevania have combos at all?
I want enemies that can be killed in just one or two hits, (save the button mashing for bosses, just like the old Castlevanias.) This way you don't have to stand still in one boring, flat room until everything is dead Smash TV style, but you would always be moving forward. Preferably through interesting, varied environments.

THAT is how I want 3D Castlevania to be.
Devil May Cry is actually the last game IGA should be studying right now, cause they will never be able to pull it off anyway.

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 05:48:07 AM »
Why, oh why, must 3D Castlevania have combos at all?
I want enemies that can be killed in just one or two hits, (save the button mashing for bosses, just like the old Castlevanias.) This way you don't have to stand still in one boring, flat room until everything is dead Smash TV style, but you would always be moving forward. Preferably through interesting, varied environments.
That style of combat is pretty much PS1-era, and without any sort of variation in attack scheme, the game will grow repetitive fast.  It doesn't have to be a combo system, though.  It could be interactive environments (context-sensitivity), or perhaps a schmorgasburg of different weapons/items at your disposal (like AoS's sould system, for example).
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 04:03:59 PM »
In Reply To #2

Unfortunately, I might have to agree with Serio here.

*patiently waiting for IGA to prove us wrong*

VampireHunterM

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »
I'm sure Iga will deliver a top notch next gen 'vania. Look at how great he did wth DXC. He tries different ideas (like CoD) to keep things fresh, otherwise we would just be playing the same game over and over again.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
In Reply To #8

It wasn't the magic and whatnot that bothered me in CoD. It was that almost every room was a goddamn drab hallway.

If he makes this for the 360, IGA would do well to get some good level designers.

Hunty

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »
The next 3d game will be like cod, but 4x bigger and have even more pokemons to collect. :o

And hopefully have characters that won't make me puke like Hector did and maybe the guest character to play as after you beat the game won't be treated like crap either like poor Trevor in CoD... ;~;

Offline Oralox

• BANNED
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 05:40:36 PM »
In Reply To #2
4x more of flat maps with 16x long hall ways.

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »
I was happy when I found a stairway in that game. ;_;

Moar stairs. And not flat, barren environments. Ever since Haunted Castle, the backgrounds have been lively and detailed, not bland, monotone, and murky.
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 07:11:32 PM »
IGA NEEDS to find a team that can make a vertical clock tower. We need platforming, Seriously. I Just like in DMC3 with that one area with the giant gears you have to jump on and the spikes, just larger and more vertical. It CAN be done. I want that to be a priority. Once you get down a superb clock tower, you can go crazy with platforms in other areas.

Offline kush21

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »
In Reply To #1

They need to make it like God of War 2, but better. I'm tired of running around collecting stuff, i'll be glad if they just moved away from the RPG/Metroid point of veiw for once and just did a straight-forward action adventure game like CV4.

I think God of War 2 pretty much nailed it perfectly as how a wicked 3D Castlevania title could work, it's exactly the vein i'd like to see one in (minus the puzzles and the backtracking, keep it progressive and level based).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:00:06 PM by kush21 »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 10:09:49 PM »
In Reply To #13

I thought that "clock tower" from DMC3 was crap >.> I have no doubt that a nice Clock Tower can be done but if its like the dmc3 one... meh...

In Reply To #14

Meh I don't like being constrained, so I like the rpg stuff more.

Tags: