Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Castletoria" - In Development!  (Read 138798 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: "Castle of Nightmares" - Castlevania-Like Project
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »
I hope it is OK with the moderators that I upload this thread regularly :)

Well this is your thread/topic so I see no reason why not. Besides when it comes to fan-made projects then we are expecting the maker of said game to constantly update his or her progress for us.  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »
However I do not have the money for good composers and this will be the last thing on my list
When, what are you going to do? Of course, music is not the most important feature of the game, but at least you should add sounds, some ambient backgrounds. This will give the game more atmosphere IMO.

Also, new walking animation looks great! :)

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 07:42:08 AM »
+1
This is my concept art of the game way before I start working on it. As you can see it is kinda funny and most of them are not even finished :D

This is going to be the opening of the game. Those are the trees and in the middle-top will be the Castle of Nightmares and in the middle-bottom our hero will be walking.

This is my very very very first drawing of the main hero in the game.

This is what I call the Crypt keeper, I would've used him in some kind of underground cemetery or catacombs.

I previously said that there will be some kind of underground waterway or ocean/lake related level and my first thought was this crab enemy creature.

And the funniest thing for me is the evolution of the character since I started working on Castle of Nightmares:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:47:07 AM by Zuljaras »
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 08:36:36 AM »
how much time was there between the making of the first and the third sprite?

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
how much time was there between the making of the first and the third sprite?

Around one year. But I didnt work on the game non-stop. There was period when I did not touch the game for 3-4 months.
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 11:39:07 AM »
Oh man......i love your work!! :) Keep it up, amazing sketches and character sprite.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
Thank you for the kind words guys!!!

I have made the first attack animation of the main character - I call it the short attack.
It is used with weapons like daggers,fist weapons,rapiers etc.

From the old Character model there are 2 more kinds of attacks - the normal attack which I use for normal swords, maces etc. and the 2-hand attack for big weapons like giant swords,axes,hammers etc.

EDIT: I also I forgot to tell :D Look closely at the sprites ... there is no mirror sprites :D I made it so that character allways attack with his right hand :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:54:09 PM by Zuljaras »

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
I have worked these days on the main character redrawing and on some code tweaking.

This is the normal attack both when crouching and standing (standing is the same as the jumping one) and it is performed with the normal sword because it is the only weapon from the normal class made for the moment:

The only thing left now is the arc attack animation for the BIG two handed weapons :)

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
I like the animation itself, but may be (just may be) the timing is not perfect. These attack animations look too balanced and so - not very realistic. It's like they doesn't have any weight at all. May be you should skip a frame. Or add an additional last frame to make a little pause in his movement.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:46:37 PM by PyramidHead »

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »
I like the animation itself, but may be (just may be) the timing is not perfect. These attack animations look too balanced and so - not very realistic. It's like they doesn't have any weight at all. May be you should skip a frame. Or add an additional last frame to make a little pause in his movement.

They look like that because I have made them in gif animator in the actual game there is pause between the attacks. And there is a little faster than normal.

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 03:11:48 AM »
Finally all weapon attack animations are done!
This is the arc attack for big slow weapons like the greatsword in this animation:

Now regarding the player the only animations left to do is the casting animation for the spells (yes he is a part wizard ofc!!!) and the death animation. After that I will REdraw the first boss add some new features to him. Then redrawthe castle "kitchen section" and I am good to continiue with the new castle area which I think will be the castle inner garden/park (connection area to multible other areas with some secrets and stuff)!!!

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
I love how he leans down for the 2-handed weapons. It really adds a sense of the weight and power behind it.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
Just gotta get a good background tile artist and you might be set. I love the "official artwork". Although looking at your drawings, it kinda makes me wish the game was done in 8-bit since your drawing style reminds me of the NESvania manuals.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
This is the arc attack for big slow weapons like the greatsword in this animation:
This one is perfect! :) When do you think the game will be finished?

Offline Zuljaras

• Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »
Just gotta get a good background tile artist and you might be set. I love the "official artwork". Although looking at your drawings, it kinda makes me wish the game was done in 8-bit since your drawing style reminds me of the NESvania manuals.

Well the thing is that I want to do everything in the game by myself except the music. The coding,the sprites and all other stuff will be made by me :)

This one is perfect! :) When do you think the game will be finished?

I have no idea however I will post all updates here :) I still have to redo the first area of the castle. And then I will continiue with the other areas, bosses enemies, weapons, secrets and all that stuff. Plus I have only the beginning story of the game I don't even know about the dialogues, monologues etc. etc.

Btw there is the map of the first castle area. After I finish all levels I will try to implement a castle map which will be accessible in the game menu.

This is only made in paint so I could follow the structure of the rooms.
Start=the starting point of our character.
Blue circle= that means that there will be entrance to another area (backtracking because the area will be blocked with magical ice which can only be destroyed with special demon mace)
The red "S" = saving point and health refill
Green boot=those are the "Tower boots". They allow the double jump for our character.