Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145742 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2014, 10:53:46 PM »
Are we really having the "Lords of Shadow isn't Castlevania" thing AGAIN? That shit was old 4 years ago, let it go.
it can't be helped. LoS just ended, and IGA just left. Both two of the big camps in the fandom. Tensions are bound to arise over both of those coinciding.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Gamermeister

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Gamermeister Youtube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2014, 11:02:09 PM »
+2
Im completely indifferent to Iga leaving, tbh. He's far from necessary for CV. Circle of the Moon proved that. People seem to treat him like he was CVs last bastion, but hes really not.
All he really did that was good was churn out more SotN. When he tried something new it was either meh or bad. Dude is a far cry from someone like Inafune.

Besides, its not hard to make a SotN clone. If Konami want another, almost any studio could make one.

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2014, 11:23:10 PM »
^ The thing is, it's rather unlikely CV would have a bigger 2D advocate who is well known there, so it seems unlikely they would go in that direction. Last I heard, the KCEK guys got folded into IGA's team around the time of PoR but we never really heard much from them after IGA stopped working on Castlevania. It seems far more likely Konami is either going to outsource the series again to keep going for a wider audience or else suspend it for awhile.

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2014, 11:26:52 PM »
+3
And all my hopes have been crushed for a 1999 game...excuse me while I cry. :'(

I am terribly sad to see IGA go. While my Castlevania roots started on the NES and I will always consider Castlevania III my favorite, it was IGA and his Castlevania games that truly got me hardcore into the series.

I really hope IGA has success with his own company though!  Either way, if whatever he comes up with next looks interesting to me, I will definitely support it. I would also totally support the heck out of him if he were to make a kickstarter.  :P

I do hope that Konami finds someone else to do more Castlevania games in the future now that the LoS saga is over and IGA is gone. I don't want to see Castlevania die. This series has been too big in my life... :(

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
OMG! I wake up and then I see this breaking news! :o
IGA you will be sorely missed. /sob

@Kaori: Me too. My heart is breaking right now... /sigh

But I leave my hopes high for a kick starter Metroidvania game in the future since most of the original Castlevania team is on freelance mode. oh yeah~!

Now... upon further analysis of the GDC 2014 session speakers list here: http://schedule.gdconf.com/speakers
Jump to "Igarashi, Koji". Look, there's no company listed!
That is why I was wondering back in February why on earth was not Konami listed.
Argh... I should have spoken about it beforehand. Oh well, some things are better in hindsight.

Now, is there anyone who would be going to the GDC?

Offline NagoriyukiSlayer

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »
Heard about this when my older brother looked Koji Igarashi up on Twitter. I was shocked to hear the news myself, but not necessarily surprised. It seems a lot of the major figures in video game development in Japan (Hideki Kamiya, Shinji Mikami, Keiji Inafune) have been leaving in the past few years. I remember Mikami saying that he left Capcom because it simply wasn't fun to work there anymore. With there not being any sufficient talent to replace them, look where Capcom and Konami are at.

Either way, while I'm not sad to see that we won't be getting a 1999 game, I do think that, had Igarashi been given better opportunities while working at Konami, we could have seen better Castlevanias than what we got. Makes me wonder about games like Curse of Darkness. Could that game had been rushed due to one of the DS (POR, I believe) titles coming out the same year? It's not unreasonable to think there was some kind of development hell similar to what seemed to happen with LOS2. (although LOS2 turned out much better, IMO) Either way, one can only hope that we can get a good Metroidvania, as, while the handheld entries ranged from good to "meh...," the thought of a good 2D "Castlevania" on consoles with HD graphics and excellent gameplay is something that I would love to see become reality.

One can only wish Igarashi luck in all of his future endeavors at this point!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »
It seems a lot of the major figures in video game development in Japan (Hideki Kamiya, Shinji Mikami, Keiji Inafune) have been leaving in the past few years. I remember Mikami saying that he left Capcom because it simply wasn't fun to work there anymore. With there not being any sufficient talent to replace them, look where Capcom and Konami are at.

Only a matter of time before Ono takes the long walk... Capcom's running him into the ground. I recall him talking about how ridiculous his schedules and stresses were, that when he spoke to the doctor after collapsing, the doctor said his stress was on par with a marathon runner or something like that.

he's lucky he got that last SF game out the door too. he practically had to drag it out kicking and screaming, while people around him chided him and asked why he wasnt doing something more profitable. (Then it sold like hotcakes and Capcom ate those words. Now if only Mega Man could have gotten that chance... )
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2014, 01:09:59 AM »
Not having the 1999 game isn't that bad (but it can still happen, they don't need IGA to do it). After all, we already know (almost) everything that happened on that year.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2014, 01:27:49 AM »
^I was talking to a buddy about this and he pretty much said the same thing. They could still do 1999 but it just wouldn't be Iga behind it.

I got into CV during the Iga era so yeah I'm a little bummed to see him go.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:30:40 AM by GuyStarwind »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2014, 01:55:06 AM »
+1
^I was talking to a buddy about this and he pretty much said the same thing. They could still do 1999 but it just wouldn't be Iga behind.

I got into CV during the Iga era so yeah I'm a little bummed to see him go.

Yeah it is possible for them to make that 1999 game. It is sad though since that game's storyline was developed by IGA.

Me too. It feels like a hole for the series to lose IGA after all those years.
Anyway, we can expect a new game developed by him in the future. That is a good thought we can keep in our hearts.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2014, 02:02:50 AM »
I don't think it would reach MN9 heights, but if IGA did a kickstarter by the end of the week I'd say he'd get a pretty penny. I mean, Yamane is now freelance and both of them are on good terms with Ayami Kojima, so conceivably he can get that 'gang'

bang.

FUUUUUUUUUUCH, I'd Dickstart that.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2014, 02:06:55 AM »
I'd definitely be down for a not-CV *winkwink* title, if that's what he was alluding to. His games were fun to play.

In all honesty, though, I hope he'd have someone help him out with a decent plot and characters.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline riverman

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2014, 02:40:31 AM »
+1
Would be cool if he literally named his new game "MetroidVania"

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2014, 05:22:56 AM »
Nintendo might have a problem with that.

Well now that he's gone, I'm even more excited to hear what's going to happen next to the series because I pretty much expected the next game to be a 2D title again, while the next 3D installment is in the works for the PS4/XB1.

But now? Who knows. Hopefully they'll keep the combat engine from Lords of Shadow 2 and put it in a good game featuring Gabula and Alucard that does something to set up a better continuity and fix the idiotic ending to the last game. I'd just like game with Gabriel as Dracula where he's not trying to figure out who he is, or if he wants to die or not, but accepts his fate as a vampire and his role as gods apparent chosen one at the same time. He'll take care of super big bad things, but in return you stay the hell out of his castle and off his land kind of set up.

Hell I'd even pay full retail price for Lords of Shadow 2: The Un-Alvarez'd Edition.

But even if they change it all around, or reboot it again, whatever they do I hope they keep that combat that MS refined for the second game because that was at least one thing they nailed. They just need a not pants on head stupid setting to put it in.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2014, 05:29:32 AM »
I'm calling IGA's next game title as musical term of something or something of musical term.  ;D

Tags: