Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania IV  (Read 10559 times)

GameModo

Super Castlevania IV
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:10:19 AM »
It seems a long time ago, but Konami were once big players for Nintendo. They released some of their best games on Nintendo consoles.  One of them in our opinion is the fantastic Super Castlevania IV.  We did a little review of it.  Tell us what you think :)
http://www.game-modo.com/2011/10/super-castlevania-iv-retro-modo-review.html

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:14:29 AM »
One of my all-time favorite activities is pooping.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:19:16 AM »
The score whilst not the best in the series

Debatable >_>

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
It's a decent review but a little on the short side.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Ialdabaoth

• Hunter in Training
  • Struggling Sprite Comic Maker
    • Awards
Re: Super Castlevania IV
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 10:00:10 AM »
This was the one Classicvania game where I NEVER used subweapons... Having an omnidirectional whip was already good enough.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »
Super Castlevania IV stands the test of time. IMO everything about it speaks of creativity. The music, sounds, graphics, playability, etc. The review was good overall however I do disagree with the score not being the best. That and the replay value. I find this game to have lots of replay value. Even after 20 years I still pick up this jem and polish it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
CV4 is the best classicvania.  It has all the traditional subweapons, actual CV music (and good CV music at that), great level design, a decent amount of whip swinging, and is the only CV with omni-directional whip capability.

Off-topic a little:
If a new side-scroller CV with a Belmont (or other whip wielding character) is made, I think that the omni-directional whip capability should be brought back.  It just enhances the gameplay so much and has plenty of potential if only it was explored a little more.  Why was it abandoned after just one game anyway?  Something tells me that no one has an answer.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Even after 20 years I still pick up this jem and polish it.

that's what she said

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »
Why was it abandoned after just one game anyway?

Because;

This was the one Classicvania game where I NEVER used subweapons... Having an omnidirectional whip was already good enough.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »
There's gotta be a way to make a game with an aimable whip challenging.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »
The ease in Super Castlevania IV seems pretty intentional from the jump to the crouch-walk, but the whip was still too much. It's meant to be cramped and claustrophobic, but instead of being a boon to the mood, this design is diluted by the directional whipping. I never used the crouch-walk either lol. I still like it a lot despite the fault with the whip. All the enhancements on Simon's maneuverability create a nice flow to it not usually seen in the other Vanias.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »
The ease in Super Castlevania IV seems pretty intentional from the jump to the crouch-walk, but the whip was still too much. It's meant to be cramped and claustrophobic, but instead of being a boon to the mood, this design is diluted by the directional whipping. I never used the crouch-walk either lol. I still like it a lot despite the fault with the whip. All the enhancements on Simon's maneuverability create a nice flow to it not usually seen in the other Vanias.

I doubt that you NEVER used it, there are some parts the require it.

Directional whipping was great, not too much for the classicVania, but Should have been a Requirement for the modernvania games since the newer games have less usage of sub-weapons, hell, I don't even use sub-weapons half the time so I can get the money to buy those OP weapons at the shops after you beat the game once or get enough money to unlock it.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
In Super Castlevania IV, I still used the Cross Boomerang for those tough distant enemies (I'm talking about you, Skeleton Swordsman at the end of the conveyor whip-ring chain at the end of the ClockTower passage!  I KNOW YOUR TREACHERY!) and because you can throw a sub-weapon while whipswinging so that you're not completely defenseless.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »
In Super Castlevania IV, I still used the Cross Boomerang for those tough distant enemies (I'm talking about you, Skeleton Swordsman at the end of the conveyor whip-ring chain at the end of the ClockTower passage!  I KNOW YOUR TREACHERY!) and because you can throw a sub-weapon while whipswinging so that you're not completely defenseless.

i never knew you could do that!

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 04:54:22 PM »
I just time my jump early so that I land right on the edge of the platform, giving me plenty of time to whip that skeleton bitch before he even realizes I'm there.
Super CV4 is probably the CV game that I am best at.  I typically play through the whole game in one sitting without dying once.  I think I have it memorized to the point where I can play it in my sleep. 

i never knew you could do that!

If you watch the gameplay snippets that play during the end credits, it shows him throwing daggers while swinging at that very same spot.  I don't think I knew you could do it either until I saw that.  Still, I never do it because there is no place in the game where it really gives me an advantage.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 04:57:13 PM by Opium »

anything