Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simon's Curse, metroidvania game based on Simon's Quest  (Read 94659 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Simon's Curse, metroidvania game based on Simon's Quest
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2017, 06:12:41 PM »
Any news on the project?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »
Its been very slow due to me doing 2 jobs and trying to graduate at the same time.
Ill try to post an update once holidays kick in. But nope this is not dead.
Just like last time when I had final lectures and exams and could not work on this for 4 months.
Still have 2 months trainee to do then I'm either hired or not hired there. In both cases I have one job less to do which means I have time for this again. =)

Also PyramidHead, thanks. I'm trying to first get an limited area alpha test version for some to test it out. That will happen next year. Also I'm hoping i get this game done in 2018 but no promises.
That's just what I'm aiming for. Just got lots of drawing to do, and few monster AI's and new bosses to make. Also still not sure how much bigger the Dracula's castle will be.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:45:33 PM by Wanhus »
"in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king"

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2017, 06:34:38 AM »
So what have i been up to...
During the holidays I have been drawing a lot of sprites and sheets also started work on carmilla mansion.
Also limited the amount of exp you can farm form low level mobs like in the original simons quest.
When you reach certain level you cant get exp from certain low level enemies no more so you cant go back and forwards exploiting the exp from weak mobs.
Also improved some lower quality old assets I had.

Whats next...
Going to add armor swapping as well (some of you might remember I made the armor system to replace the old level gain resistance from simons quest).
Will add lantern sprite too when player is using the lantern (lantern use is not mandatory(at least not yet) its just if some think nights are too dark).
Start working on a new boss.
Some new npc's.
Draculas castle planning (I will accept ideas or even draculas castle layouts), thou not going to make it like in symphony of the night, only a bit larger than most mansions.

Happy holidays and good new year to all =)

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2017, 05:43:46 AM »
Oh, and here is something for you to look at, i think it turned out nice.

Also armor swapping is almost done.
Reduced the amount of code needed by about 10% too but that not very interesting.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2017, 07:26:32 AM »
Oh, and here is something for you to look at, i think it turned out nice.

Also armor swapping is almost done.
Reduced the amount of code needed by about 10% too but that not very interesting.

Eek! I can't wait to play this. I'm so glad the area names are there. Will some type of mini-map be featured?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2017, 02:18:02 AM »
Bloo, no minimap but I have been playing around with a basic map idea.
Thou none metroidvania map thou, as I find no reason for this game to have metroidvania map.

Armor swapping is now done too.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2018, 05:22:15 AM »
I'm back at work again, hurray!
Next I will try to get a short demo for some one to test on this forums.
It still need a bit of work but now I also have music coming my way (Optomon allowed me to use his music on this).
Fixing very minor bugs and adding quality of life things (like do you wish to quit yes or no selection instead of instant quit on select).

Currently been doing lots of effects like how bosses appear in room, attack effects, etc and more and more graphics.
Thou don't know if ill post any more screenshots for a while as I don't want to reveal all to you until the game is released.
I might show effects or something like that but no more new areas as screens or bosses etc.
Only thing I can say is first boss appearance sequence (you know the way bosses enter or start the fight etc) is very cool at least I think so, thou would be cooler if I could animate him in doing this thing that I wont say (SUPER SPOILER isn't it?).
Second boss or fifth ain't bad either but i like the first boss appearance sequence.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2018, 08:23:02 AM »
(Optomon allowed me to use his music on this).

h y p e

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2018, 05:32:01 AM »
So what been done lately.
-Well been adding more nice effects more so night time effects.
-Also lots new background and remakes of some areas have been done.
-Quit etc now ask yes or no on press.
-Been reworking few enemy sprites.
-Fixed a few bugs and started implementing some music in to the game.
-Started making the graphics for next area.

Also if anyone is interested I would not mind if some one draw me few npc etc character portraits based on what the character look in game.
Also if interested animating certain bosses few attack and certain poses would be nice.
I can do these my self but they will add extra time and might not turn out well thou who knows.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »
Question:

As garlic is semi useless item in game would you like it to be swapped for something a bit more useful?
Like blessed oils and item similar to holy water but splashes it wider and has more damage.
And if blessed oils is added should it be bought item OR heart use item?
Or something else?
Or ideas to make garlic better?
Just pooping garlic where you stand is kinda useless, more so when you have to buy the items.

I am asking this as when i removed the stake some did not like it.
Even thou the stake was artificial game lenghtener in you needing to farm heats to buy the stake to throw it at a red orb that is not needed to be done in any other castlevania.
In other caslevania games you just touch the orb .

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »
Instead of swapping Garlic away for something else, I'd prefer if Garlic was made more useful yes.

For instance, having Garlic equipped could negate the "night" effect on enemies. Like, night makes them stronger, Garlic makes you just as much stronger during the night, negating the boost they get. It'd be a way to translate Garlic's "warding off evil" qualities.

Or, maybe throwing Garlic makes enemies avoid getting close to you; Dunno. These are just examples of what I mean. Ultimatelly, I'd much prefer improvements on Garlic than swapping it for something else.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Briraka

• Hunter in Training
  • \m/
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2018, 12:51:52 PM »
I remember there being a garlic sub-weapon in SOTN (or, at least I think it's garlic?). Alucard would throw a bunch of cloves, and then they'd stick around on the floor for a little while.

I think garlic would be a neat feature. It could be effective against vampire enemies and bosses, as well as being neat nod to actual vampire weaknesses in pop culture, along with the cross and holy water.

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2018, 04:50:40 PM »
theplottwist I actually experimented with the garlic on turning away enemies but its work poorly vs some enemies due flying, jumping dropping etc.
So i decided that was not the best way to use it. Dunno about negating the night effects as nights should be harder due to curse inflicted upon simon.
But great ideas =)

Briraka Well actually the Blessed oil would be garlic extract mixed with other holy oils.
Seems like the garlic functionality as you described it from sotn is similar to what thee blessed oils would do but yeah I could make it garlic cloves instead of oil splashing around.
Also yes the game already has weaknesses and resistances.
Like Silver works great versus werewolf enemies dealing double damage (silver dagger, silver axe), holy water also deals extra damage to unholy enemies.
This works both ways too thou, fire whip or sacred fire have no effect on those fire elementals or charred skeletons.
Garlic could work vs vampires and maybe demons, not vs skeletons as they cant even smell.
Thanks for the ideas =)

Offline Wanhus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »
Sorry for being away for a while I got diagnosed with severe stress, prolly due to working 2 jobs, graduating from university, not sleeping for more than 2 hours a night due to construction site next to my apartment for 4 months, doing all sort of hobbies and not exercising enough due to lack of time.

So I'm now back at this just finished adding a proper music engine to the game, also edited and added optomon's music in to the game and did some new graphics and minor fixes.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
I remember there being a garlic sub-weapon in SOTN (or, at least I think it's garlic?). Alucard would throw a bunch of cloves, and then they'd stick around on the floor for a little while.

I though this as well till I read up on it. Turns out Alucard is scattering holy ashes on the ground and not cloves of Garlic.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

anything