Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: People messing with the respect points  (Read 28722 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: People messing with the respect points
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
+3
To show that ya like or dislike a comment is the purpose. If folks be trollin' downvotes, they can be dealt with.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
+1
I wasn't referring to you. No need to get upset.
I wasn't upset. At all. And less of everything, upset to you, who are always so nice to me.

It should be just a way to show that you like a comment, not a way to show that you like or dislike a user.
I use it to like comments, not users. I don't randomly upvote posts just because I like the users.
When I use it, it is because I like what they say. It so happens that most of the time they are comments from users I like (you being one of them), but that happens in real life too. You tend to like people who you share things with, opinions amongst them.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »
I think the respect system is a really neat thing, though it would admittedly be potentially better if it was possible to cutoff voting for posts prior to it's inclusion.

The only other modification to our current system that I would personally agree with is perhaps eliminating the down vote option, only allowing up-votes. I do however believe that down-voting is important and interesting to have. it gives a little extra depth to the system.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
+2
It would be a lot better if the respect points were only awarded to the post and not accumulated by the user. It should work just like a Facebook like. This would eliminate the sense of hierarchy that is established by the current system, and people would stop caring so much about it.

It should be just a way to show that you like a comment, not a way to show that you like or dislike a user.

Now THAT's a great (and doable) idea!
Now you can see the +'s and -'s but no one knows how much respect they've got.
No more counter, no more trolling.  No one will know how much their downvoting efforts will be yielding.  And no more headaches.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »
Right on Jorge!  :)

Wow. That was fast!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »
Uh-oh, Jorge have returned... and with newer guns :O   j/k
Well, I dislike how it is now, only letting people know, since it doesnt seems to be a poll.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »
+1
Hey now, I never said that. You seem to have no intention of removing the system despite some complaints, (and you did add it, when nobody ever asked for it, that I know) So I just took that to mean you like this kind of respect/voting thing. I mean, most places seem to do it nowadays.

Actually, enough members wanted both a "Facebook Like/Kotaku Promote/Youtube UpVote/Downvote", a while back, that I added it.
Enough members PM'd me about (older members) about bringing back the thread-rater "Star Rating System", which I added around the same time.  The Star Rating harkens back to the old Forumplanet days.
I didn't do it on a whim.

Just because you didn't see people publicly asking for something, doesn't mean they didn't ask for it.

There are actions happening behind the scenes here all the time.

And people are ALWAYS going to complain, no matter what we, the moderation/administration team, do.  So really, hearing three loud people complain about something doesn't compare to the hundreds who don't care.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »
+1
My 200+ respect, now gone, BUUUUUUUUHHHHH *kills self*
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »
Hey, Jorge changed his title too!!

"Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont." was "It will always be Brinstar dammit!" for years. Thats a bad omen lol

edit: forget it, I forgot that we can choose 2 "titles" lol
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:42:28 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »
+2
While I like the respect system I can support this current way of doing things.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »
This game got a whole lot more boring. It's now like a lukewarm sequel  :-[

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 12:28:17 AM »
I suppose I am one of those 3 loud people complaining...
But I wasn't complaining about you, Jorge, or any other admin for that matter. I said before that you all do a wonderful job of keeping this place peaceful.
It would be nice, though, that everyone can see their own score. Otherwise, it's like a game where you don't know how many points you have.

Anyway, the idea I liked the most was the one for keeping + and don't letting - points.
And I still think the blocking of posts older than a week would be useful, and a list of recent votes visible to anyone, so if someone downvotes 30 posts like some days ago, everyone will know.
I think it's become boring now (the game, not the forum).
It was nice to be "popular" for the first time in my life, at least in a fictional forum game.
But what's done is done.

I'll still be here every day, during work, during dinner, and every time I can, doing my usual antics  :P
C'est la vie...
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 12:42:07 AM »
+2
Shit's fixed now, no more bitching, complaining or whining from anyone. Now back to regular forum activities damn it all.

Yeah good night at work.  ;D

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 12:47:07 AM »
Are you also working during a friday night?
At least I'm not alone!  :)
Good night at work to you too!
It's good that we have internet, at least.
Forum makes long work days a lot more fun!  ;D

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 03:14:44 AM »
I work Friday nights into Saturday mornings every week, then follow up with Saturday afternoons too.

I'll break the pattern for the first time in awhile in a couple weeks, but for one week only.

Edit: we don't have internet at my workplace, and I don't own a cell phone (in before someone asks me again how do I live without one, have for nearly 38 years now).

Tags: