Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Which Castlevania(s) do you feel is/are the most underrated?  (Read 47690 times)

Offline ChibiMaddiChan

• I'm a bitch of an itch.
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Butts that itch should be washed. That is all.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Which Castlevania(s) do you feel is/are the most underrated?
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »
Most underrated game?  *drum roll* The epicness of lost potential itself: Castlevania 64/LoD.

I know, I know. "That game with the chainsaw Frankenstein and motorcycle skeletons?! Ew, the french is wrong with you?!"  but here me out: think of all the cool, awesome things this game try to do and elements it could have introduced long term to the franchise had the game been better received? 

Vampires as standard enemies, not to mention the actual player can become a vampire themselves and get a special game over.  Seriously, I really wish this mechanic alone would show up again in the series.  Sun and moon cards, along with the time of day actually playing a role with the enemies/challenges faced, just like with Simon's Quest. (Another underrated classic.)  Branching gameplay/storyline characters that aren't just after thoughts or 'modes': they actually have their own agendas, quests, special enemies/bosses, and general purpose for wanting to go to Castlevania, even if it wasn't to destroy Dracula.

In ways, I really wish this game would have succeeded.  I can only imagine where the series might be now if it had. I light a candle ever year for this game, to honor it's memory.
---
I was suppose to say something profound here. I don't 'do' profound so much as ramble so...whatever. Here lies text. Congratulations for reading it.  You were as bored as I am. Seriously, stop reading, you can't be that bored.  Still here? Really?  You officially are my new favorite person and now are owed one internet cookie. Don't eat it though, it gives you bad gas.

Offline Dominus

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2014, 07:06:04 AM »
Judgement. While the art leaves a lot to be desired, dont think it's a bad game and it certainly doesnt deserve that ratings it got in most sites.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2014, 06:35:24 PM »
+1
Most underrated game?  *drum roll* The epicness of lost potential itself: Castlevania 64/LoD.

I know, I know. "That game with the chainsaw Frankenstein and motorcycle skeletons?! Ew, the french is wrong with you?!"  but here me out: think of all the cool, awesome things this game try to do and elements it could have introduced long term to the franchise had the game been better received? 

Vampires as standard enemies, not to mention the actual player can become a vampire themselves and get a special game over.  Seriously, I really wish this mechanic alone would show up again in the series.  Sun and moon cards, along with the time of day actually playing a role with the enemies/challenges faced, just like with Simon's Quest. (Another underrated classic.)  Branching gameplay/storyline characters that aren't just after thoughts or 'modes': they actually have their own agendas, quests, special enemies/bosses, and general purpose for wanting to go to Castlevania, even if it wasn't to destroy Dracula.

In ways, I really wish this game would have succeeded.  I can only imagine where the series might be now if it had. I light a candle ever year for this game, to honor it's memory.

To be fair, chainsaw Franky was originally a playable character which was tossed aside and split into himself and Henry from LOD.

All it needed was tweaked controls and a rotatable camera, the concepts and level designs are very good imo particularly LOD.

I also noticed that the areas of platforming where platforms disappear would happen more rapidly on hard mode, the enemies were higher in numbers which made for particularly sticky situations i.e. killing 5xbone pillars or outrunning them with Reinhardt while carry dynamite. Those touches are missed in newer iterations of 3Dvania.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2014, 04:53:47 AM »
I believe games like Simons Quest, Harmony of Dissonance, and the Nintendo 64 titles aren't underrated but just objectively bad games with poor design.

I really feel bad for the Nintendo 64 Castlevania games, its just so sad to see those games on the same system that has Conkers Bad Fur Day. Its crudeness aside, there's a game with lots of spoken dialogue and good graphics for the system, and lots of content.

And then you have the horribly blocky and awkward Castlevania titles. I wish they could have been better, since I believe they did a great job with Dracula himself in those games, and it had some nice side characters that were never revisited.

Offline nocturnal_nocturne

• the ultimate whip power up gatherer
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »
first post.

wooot.

underrated classicvanias? less see...

chronicles. definitely chronicles. its brutally difficult (original mode) yet, if you time it right, & are lucky enough to find some friendly herbs, simon can survive.

the spike in difficulty really gets ramped up after the second block (castle courtyard) & from there on out, its white knuckling the whole rest of the way.

what makes chronicles memorable, difficulty aside? well, cool things like "mini bosses" right smack dab in the middle of some of the blocks. (the giant stained glass monster, frankenstein, etc.)

also, lets not forget that OST. its pretty amazing, especially when your PS2 is wired with a digital optical cable, like mine is.

combine these with arranged mode (& all the options therein to make it as difficult, or as easy as one would like) & the re-skinned simon & dracula, & its the next best thing to the original NES castlevania that I have ever played, any gen, any platform.

while the difficulty & relative old age may turn players off to this particular title, I happen to think its the werewolves' scooby snack however.

the only other classicvania I enjoy more (besides this & the first 4) really is rondo of blood.

still praying for some sort of console release of that game. (preferably with subtitles) that would be awesome.

Dracula x just isn't the same, although not too bad of an alternative I suppose.

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2014, 09:28:51 AM »

still praying for some sort of console release of that game. (preferably with subtitles) that would be awesome.

Dracula x just isn't the same, although not too bad of an alternative I suppose.

I'm still waiting too, mate. Not sure why it hasn't been released for current consoles.
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2014, 06:48:51 AM »
+1
Castlevania Dracula X(X). It's more challenging overall than it's predecessor. That last boss fight is great. I think it's a worthy re-quel to Rondo.

Judgment. It gets a lot of crap. Some deservedly so. I'm not crazy about some of the design work, although I'm not all that fond of Kojima's artistic renditions, either. It's a fun game, though. I find it best to use a Gamecube controller for it.

Vampire Killer. I'd really like to have another game in this style. I've grown fatigued from Metroidvania, but this is a good compromise for me. It's so damn hard, though. The hit detection sucks and the lack of continues makes it impossible to beat the game legitimately, which is a shame.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:56:12 AM by Kaneda »
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2014, 02:43:13 AM »
Castlevania Dracula X(X). It's more challenging overall than it's predecessor. That last boss fight is great. I think it's a worthy re-quel to Rondo.

Thank You... I'm not really fussed what people say, I think it's better than Rondo... It's kind of like Rondo's equivalent to LOZ Quest B (aside from the fact that you can't play as Maria)
I personally think the artwork surpasses Rondo.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline RegalX7

• !?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2014, 01:08:59 AM »
Curse of Darkness.
I've barely heard anyone say anything good about it. I acknowledge the many faults, namely the terrible level design & wasted story potential... But I had so much fun with the ID system, and it probably has my favorite soundtrack in the series.

Portrait of Ruin, I feel, gets a bad rap for the lame characters & dialogue, but everything else is done great. My personal favorite portable Castlevania.

Tags:

anything