Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania ReBirth for newbies  (Read 3611 times)

Offline Bengr Hausve

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« on: September 06, 2019, 03:16:47 PM »
Let's talk about CV ReBirth: 1) when and on what do you see it being re-released, if ever, 2) If ReBirth remains the latest and the last classic style contemporary Castlevania, how would you rank it in comparison to ALL classic style CVs and 3) How do you like the music in ReBirth? Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 03:21:50 PM by Bengr Hausve »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 04:29:34 PM »
Rebirth was amazing, Offering Both appeal to the hardcore and the casual audience with it's jumping mechanics' options.
Graphics are very nice and colorful, and the challenge is also on-point.
Only negative mark on this game is the lack of saving or passwords, but Emulation save-states are a good fix.
The music, something about the Chip-tune really makes it sound very arcade or a Genesis on steroids and it sounds phenomenal.

I would Rank it at no.3 best.

I find it tragic that Konami hasn't released the Rebirth trilogy on anything else yet, and the only option now to obtain it is by lesser means. I think it didn't help that it was E-Shop exclusive because... well, the E-Shop didn't have the best reputation in it's day. Much like Hard Crops Uprising, I can see how this one was overlooked so easily.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
I find it tragic that Konami hasn't released the Rebirth trilogy on anything else yet, and the only option now to obtain it is by lesser means. I think it didn't help that it was E-Shop exclusive because... well, the E-Shop didn't have the best reputation in it's day. Much like Hard Crops Uprising, I can see how this one was overlooked so easily.

holy shit i forgot how much i absolutely loved hard corps uprising

yeah and rebirth is really good too
except for the 4:3 aspect ratio lmao
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Succubus

• Head Priestess of the Monkey Cult
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania ReBirth for newbies
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 07:05:26 AM »
If it's re-released on anything, I would guess the Switch. If Konami made any kind of exclusivity deal with Nintendo, that may still be in effect.

It's a good game, and the music is nice too. But I'd say it's mid-tier. It definitely doesn't beat out the best of the classic games, like 1, 3, 4, Rondo, X68k, and Bloodlines. But it's certainly way better than the likes of Haunted Castle and Legends.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 11:45:08 AM »
I adored The Adventure ReBirth when it first came out (partially because it was a return to the Classic style). Still enjoy it, though I'm not as into it as I was before. So, for your questions...

1.) I think it should be released in another collection that includes stuff like the SNES Dracula X for Switch.

2.) Overall, ReBirth is a mid-tier entry in the series as a whole. Of the 26 Castlevania games I've played through, I usually put it around #14 (it certainly is not any higher than #10). In terms of Classicvanias specifically, I rank it better than Legends, Chronicles/X68000, and the DXC remake, but that might be about it.

The Good: ReBirth does a decent job blending the original Game Boy titles with more NES and SNES sensibilities. Its use of multiple modes to result in multiple level layouts or gameplay styles (including a very functional motion-control mode) are commendable and add replay value. The density of each level having a strategic setup with alternate key-based paths is an inspired development. Knowing the best path through a level becomes crucial on harder mode settings. I like how more unique bosses were chosen on the whole, and the water wheel segment of Level 2 might be the coolest set piece in the game, which I'd like to see revisited in a future entry. Also, the return of a map screen was fun.

The Bad: The game does feel like it was made with a fairly limited budget, remixing assets, and it doesn’t utilize its namesake Game Boy entry to the fullest by any means. As a result, despite being enjoyable, it ends up feeling rather indistinct as a whole. The original The Adventure (and also Belmont's Revenge) have more iconic personality/charm overall. And for that matter, I know they wanted to put stairs back in, but ropes should have still been in it, considering it's supposed to be pulling from "The Adventure."

3.) The music is amazing. There are some really inspired choices for remixes. Unfortunately, it leaves way too many good Game Boy tunes off for a game that's supposed to be a Game Boy reimagining.

So, overall, I would have preferred if this was a combination of The Adventure and Belmont's Revenge, utilizing all the Game Boy ideas and bringing them up to Super Castlevania IV modernity, rather than picking and choosing a few token Game Boy elements and trying to make a new hodgepodge game out of them. The end result was fine for what it was, but it could have been a lot better.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 09:33:56 AM »
There was also the story intro with the lake and a flat-looking angled castle in the middle. That was really cheap  :P
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: