Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth first impressions  (Read 37161 times)

Offline UnManuel

• Castlevania has changed.
  • Hunter in Training
  • guaramberri
    • UnManuel.com
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth first impressions
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »
Hey! After a second watching I've noticed this game has an excellent spritework/animations, with lots of nice lightning effects. The boss battles are spectacular as well =DDD

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 07:24:42 AM »
+1
To kevinski: it's impossible. You cant jump on or off stairs, just like Cv III or I, go go Old School! :D

Everything comes full circle

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »
And there is music from Belmont's revenge. Yes, I know, but it's something. Adventure original music was not that good.

You kidding? The music was probably one of the few good things about Adventure. The ones I listed previously are the more prominent of the game, though. There is a reason they were used in the Dracula Battle and Dracula New Classic albums.

Belmont's Revenge's music is better just in the fact that there are more tunes that are catchy rather than just a few. Believe me, I'm glad to hear New Messiah (and even happier for Reincarnated Soul getting some love). I just wish they would have tried including a few of Adventures tunes. Here's hoping that perhaps the American release includes some bonus tracks.

I do like the remixes of what I have heard thus far, though.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »
Perhaps because the original game sucked? We are CV fans and we like it, but go around there, few people outof us liked the Adventure - remember, it was made faster than normal because it was almost launched with the Game boy, and the team was too unexperienced - so, why make exactly the original? why not only take the best - enemies, conception of stages - and make it better? This is what remakes should be - even if this is a reimagining - the best of the originals and improved.

I you believe that you pretty much missed the point of why games are being remade in the first place and that's for one reason only: nostalgic value. Of course there's no point in remaking a game that is considered by most fans to be bad and maybe it's a good thing that they give Chris some lovin' by making him star in an awesome game like this. Still, it's kind of misleading to call this a remake/reimaging of Adventure since it's references to that game are minimal at best (story, character,logo and some enemies) and it pays more tribute to other games (reused backgrounds, sprites and music from several other games in the series, elements that are more important) but don't get me wrong, this seems like a good classicvania-styled game to me. 

Bottom-line: CVA Rebirth is a good tribute to the classicvania's but as an tribute to Adventure...

not so much.

Which sadly is kind of ironic.                    

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:21:42 AM by Nagumo »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »

I absolutely hated Adventure, but the music was excellent. So while I'm happy to hear Reincarnated Soul again (It's probably my favourite CV tune ever) I wish they'd kept the original soundtrack. I find this choice of music very very odd... good, but odd. We'll never hear the complete Adventure soundtrack in a future CV now, cause Rebirth was THAT game... blah.

Offline kevinski

• Vampire Hunter
  • Hunter in Training
    • kevinski.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 02:15:58 PM »
To kevinski: it's impossible. You cant jump on or off stairs, just like Cv III or I, go go Old School! :D

What doesn't make sense is why you can control your jumps in mid-air, but you can't jump on and off of stairs. For every thing that I like about the game, there's something else that I dislike. For instance, I like how the whip's fire is handled, but why'd they take a step back by omitting the feature caused your current sub-weapon to simply drop behind you upon picking up a new one?

I still can't wait to play the game, though. ^_^
---
[ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Xbox Live | kevinski com ]

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 08:22:19 PM »
In Reply To #6

This guy is just upset and bawwing because it wasn't a direct remake or he just doesn't like good games.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »
I you believe that you pretty much missed the point of why games are being remade in the first place and that's for one reason only: nostalgic value. Of course there's no point in remaking a game that is considered by most fans to be bad and maybe it's a good thing that they give Chris some lovin' by making him star in an awesome game like this. Still, it's kind of misleading to call this a remake/reimaging of Adventure since it's references to that game are minimal at best (story, character,logo and some enemies) and it pays more tribute to other games (reused backgrounds, sprites and music from several other games in the series, elements that are more important) but don't get me wrong, this seems like a good classicvania-styled game to me.  

Bottom-line: CVA Rebirth is a good tribute to the classicvania's but as an tribute to Adventure...

not so much.

Which sadly is kind of ironic.                    

I do not think reimaging is misleadin especially how the word is used to label remakes that does not really follow the orig.  The new CV game is not a faithful remake in regards that it does not use the same stagez from the gb original.  However the fireball whip, the belmont, the level themes (outside 'grave' level, cavern, and spike dungeon) , the enemies are from the original gb title, and the concept of the main character going to kill dracula is taken from the original title, hence a reimagination.

Recently, the term reimagine has become popular to describe remakes that do not closely follow the original. The term is used by creators in the marketing of films and television shows to inform audiences that the new product is not the same as the old. Reimagines often contain tongue in cheek references to the original with characters and concepts of the same name, but significantly changed. In Tin Man, a reimagine of The Wizard of Oz, the main character is named DG (a reference to Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz), and the land she enters is called the Outer Zone (O.Z.). Reimagining a franchise often leads to controversy within established fan communities as to which is more legitimate or more popular. Examples of remakes that are most associated with the reimagine term are Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, Nora Ephron's Bewitched, Marcus Nispel's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th, Rob Zombie's Halloween, Ronald D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica, David Eick's Bionic Woman, Nelson McCormick's Prom Night, and Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead. This has bled over to video game and comic mediums with games like Bomberman Act: Zero, a more hardcore edge to Bomberman that wasn't well received. Bionic Commando Rearmed, which changes some elements of the game and story to fit into a sequel but pays homage to the original. In comics with the new Sgt. Rock, with the Rock as a member of the 442nd and the unknown "Easy Company" and Unknown Soldier, which takes place in 2002 Uganda, both which change the setting or the character to be more realistic and modern.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reimagining#Reimagining

Using elements from other games from the same franchise doesn't make a game less of a remake.  Metroid zero missions and castlevania four uses elements that first appeared in previous games
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:00:52 AM by le052383 »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 02:01:25 AM »
Using elements from other games from the same franchise doesn't make a game less of a remake.  Metroid zero missions and castlevania four uses elements that first appeared in previous games

Yeah, but like it said before, there are much more elements from other Castlevania´s, and barely any from the orginal itself, only making this a remake because the developers say it is. Unless you meant to say "reimaging" instead of "remake". Now a title like "Castlevania: The Adventure Remix" or something like that would be much more appropriate instead of trying to pass it off as a remake.        
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:48:03 AM by Nagumo »

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 12:18:30 PM »
In Reply To #39

I think the idea was to make a Rebirth game that pays tribute to all the classic Castlevanias.  They just called it The Adventure because Simon's story has been told and retold quite enough already, whereas Christopher has only ever been mentioned on the Game Boy and nowhere else.

Also, le052383 brings up a great point.  Metroid: Zero Mission felt much closer to Super Metroid than it did to the original, in pretty much every way.  But Zero Mission was still a remake of the original Metroid, not Super Metroid.  It just used more elements from Super Metroid in its gameplay and level design.

All remakes ARE re-imaginings of the original, the two things are one and the same.

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »
In Reply To #39

I think the idea was to make a Rebirth game that pays tribute to all the classic Castlevanias.  They just called it The Adventure because Simon's story has been told and retold quite enough already, whereas Christopher has only ever been mentioned on the Game Boy and nowhere else.

Also, le052383 brings up a great point.  Metroid: Zero Mission felt much closer to Super Metroid than it did to the original, in pretty much every way.  But Zero Mission was still a remake of the original Metroid, not Super Metroid.  It just used more elements from Super Metroid in its gameplay and level design.

All remakes ARE re-imaginings of the original, the two things are one and the same.

I agree.

I do not think anyone at Konami have said that the rebirth games are intended to be graphical remakes

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »
Yeah, but like it said before, there are much more elements from other Castlevania´s, and barely any from the orginal itself, only making this a remake because the developers say it is. Unless you meant to say "reimaging" instead of "remake". Now a title like "Castlevania: The Adventure Remix" or something like that would be much more appropriate instead of trying to pass it off as a remake.        

I said remakes whereas franchises like Sword of Mana, despite being referred as a remake of the original Seiken Densetsu game, is loosly connected to the gameboy and has more elements from the later games.

I think the Rebirth name is fitting since Rebirth does not label something as a direct remake.  For instance, the definition of Rebirth from Wikipedia is  "Rebirth (Buddhism), belief that consciousness arising in the new person is neither identical to, nor different from, the old consciousness, but forms part of a causal continuum "

We fans, are the ones who are assuming that the rebirth means a verbatum remake.  Therefore, it is our own fault if we are disappointed in the wii CVA for not being a simple graphical remake.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:36:31 PM by le052383 »

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »
In regards to the rebirth subtitle, it doesn't really mean that the games are remakes but rather, refers to the concept that the rebirth games are games that are styled after the old series

For instance, Contra Rebirth is a brand new game yet it is the first contra game since the SNES version to be in 2D without any added abilities like the "bionic commando" arm.

Offline le052383

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
In Reply To #39

you are absoulately right.  A lot of movie remakes are remagining of a previous film and are not really alike scene per scene.  For instance,the get smart flms added a character that the rock plays and the tomb raider remake changes some stuff to allow it to fit better in the lara reboot.

Seems odd that there would a be a debate on what constitute a remake of a game

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2009, 05:16:11 AM »
Oh, I see. 

I don't want to sound repetive, but I still think the references to Adventure are too sporadic, to consider it to be a "rebirth" of that game specifically. Of course that's completely my opinion. Reimaginings and remake are not the same thing though.

Tags:

anything