Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Adagio of Decay  (Read 7583 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »
It's good to check every time you add something new to the engine, but you should still double check entire stages every so often before you get too far along that it becomes near impossible to find a bug  in your game.

It's also good to debug, figure out a way to do things differently, then reprogram around that epiphany and debug again. Although you shouldn't get as carried away by that as I do. But it's one reason to consider debugging the whole game more often. If you focus on debugging enemies because you just programmed an enemy, you'll probably overlook a very minor bug in Richter that you could easily fix that would also make the enemies or relics run smoother. When I came up with my room transition script, I pruned my global variables and in the process made doors, enemies and Belmont a bit cleaner (actually doors were a LOT cleaner). Then in the process I realized I should convert one of my scripts from a series of IFs into a giant SWITCH. I realized I could give platforms the parent of the ground object (for the time being). Once while debugging I even figured out how to build a game entirely around tiles without ground objects (but I'm sticking with objects for the engine that gets released because I'm too far along right now and nobody else is using tiles).

Also playing through a level over and over might give you ideas on ways to improve the level design itself or new traps to add.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:02:22 PM »
Expect the first-stage demo by the end of March. Progress is going more quickly than I previously thought, and I've finally gotten Adramalech working the way I want him to. Just got a bunch of last-minute touch-ups to do, and I want to do a fuckton of testing before I release anything. A month should be plenty of time. If it's not, I'll post as much, but I highly doubt it'll take even that.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 03:19:43 AM »
Great news, i wish you good luck!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 05:32:24 PM »
Okay, there's going to be a delay on the release.

My computer's been acting a bit off lately, and this morning it went on a startup hang, which I dismissed as loading, and it was still hung seven hours later when I got back from school. I could go into details all day, but until I can fix the problem, the beta release is on indefinite hiatus.

It could be a day, it could be a week. I can't say for sure until I locate the problem and assess how to fix it.

Sorry about this, everybody. Especially with this happening right on my original release deadline.

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
+1
Shit happens dude. I had hardware fail the same day I was about to finish one of my animations and it took a month to finally get the parts in and fix it. Hanging on boot could be a number of things. Don't rush it though if you do you will only overlook simple things. We aren't going anywhere anyhow so once you get your rig back up you can handle the release we will still; be here waiting.
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »
Thanks, Crank.

I don't think it's a serious problem, just a driver issue.

To summarize why I think this is; I'm going to college for animation and the like, and I got the AutoDesk software a little while ago. I don't think my current drivers are as up-to-date as the softwares need, and that's causing the issues. I've had three bluescreen shutdowns since I downloaded them, and the computer's run more slowly than it did before the downloads, and now this. I think it's just the drivers being out-of-date.

But I'll find out later tonight. I've been running chkdsk/r since about four o' clock and it's close to finishing now. After that and a defrag, I should have a good idea of what the problem(s) is/are.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 03:00:54 AM »
Well, like Corpsecrank said, don't rush your self. We can wait for you to fix the problem, we want leave earth..... :P (not yet  ;D) just kidding.
Ruler of Chaos

Tags: